Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What am I doing wrong?
I think I have now solved my problem, which I should have picked up earlier.

I was using a Tellurium Q Blue Diamond speaker cable. Although this is a good detailed cable I am not sure it is a good match with the Devialet. It gives a sharpness to the upper frequencies that, to my ears, emphasises what I feel is the (relative) weakest aspect of the 120. I have tried a Chord Signature Reference cable and enjoyed the 120 much more.

However, I think I need to resign ignominiously from the forum, because I still prefer the sound of the Superuniti. Less detail, reduced soundstage, but a full rich flow to the music. It's only a matter of emphasis, since they both have much in common and have at their core very good clear amps. And it is clearly purely a personal preference.

I can't bring myself to sell the Devialet. It is now the basis of a very good second system (the cost of which I have not admitted to my wife).
@ism - to each their own, no perfect system for everyone.

p.s. Yes there are some things best left unknown... Angel
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(02-Jun-2017, 15:08)ism Wrote: (the cost of which I have not admitted to my wife).

Yes, there's no need to raise such an issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-Jun-2017, 15:08)ism Wrote: I think I have now solved my problem, which I should have picked up earlier.

I was using a Tellurium Q Blue Diamond speaker cable. Although this is a good detailed cable I am not sure it is a good match with the Devialet. It gives a sharpness to the upper frequencies that, to my ears, emphasises what I feel is the (relative) weakest aspect of the 120. I have tried a Chord Signature Reference cable and enjoyed the 120 much more.

However, I think I need to resign ignominiously from the forum, because I still prefer the sound of the Superuniti. Less detail, reduced soundstage, but a full rich flow to the music. It's only a matter of emphasis, since they both have much in common and have at their core very good clear amps. And it is clearly purely a personal preference.

I can't bring myself to sell the Devialet. It is now the basis of a very good second system (the cost of which I have not admitted to my wife).

Don't give up on the D120 yet.
The Tellurium is NOT harsh sounding or a bad match for the D120 but lets harshness from up your audio chain 'more thru' vs. the chord being not as transparent.
I've to emphasize it again. Harshness (or annoying highs) comes from Jitter and/or bad power quality that leads a Devialet to produce more and more Jitter in the audio signal. If you listen to a Dxxx connected to a pure/stable powerline and the music source has no Jitter you won't hear any harshness in your music no matter the cables. Though there will allways be a cables being better than the one one owns. That's out of questions  Rolleyes

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
I know power is an issue, though I am not usually taken seriously when I mention this. I live outside Birmingham, England. Every weekday at 5pm the sound of my hifi deteriorates, and almost exactly at 11pm it improves again. It is not disastrous, but a definate reduction in soundstage and clarity. Sat is poor, Sunday ok. 

I have no idea why this happens, but can only assume it relates to the quality/power/stabilty of the mains supply. This is despite using good mains leads and a separate electric circuit for my music room. My family think this is my imagination.
(04-Jun-2017, 21:40)ism Wrote: My family think this is my imagination.

Probably safe not to completely discount that!! Big Grin

(For what it's worth I have similar experience in London, but equally admit it may just be my imagination and perhaps I prefer listening late when background noise - non electrical - is quieter)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Trust your senses guys Wink

@ism
If you experience this much of a difference with your power you've found the culprit for the 'bad' sound of your D120 Idea 
There may also be constant 'little' fluctuations in voltage on the powerline the whole day thru and this may lead to the digital sound patterns.
The Dxxx have a SMPS power supply and it seems that this SMPS don't like fluctuations on the line and produce 'artefacts in power' on a unstable/dirty powerline.
In my home (south of Berlin) I'm lucky to have stable power in this area. But as I take my D200 with me to friends and customers a lot I can say it sounds different in every other home it's to play.
Usually we have something like 230V on the powerline but a friend of mine lives in Charlottenburg (centre of Berlin, house build in 1910) and depending on daytime power goes down to as low as 170V. Never got my D200 performing to its full potential in his home. Every time I play it there I hear this nasty digital signature in the sound (despite I took my complete audio with me).

So...if money is no issue you need something like this  https://stromtank.com/  Big Grin

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin