Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Recordings IV
Whilst I'm sure some people are very happy about this vinyl release, I couldn't give a crap, and would prefer Devialet stick with making great speakers rather than having a bias toward music genres and spamming me about it.

Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree - complete waste of time and effort when they have bigger issues to deal with.
(30-May-2017, 01:14)booshtukka Wrote: Whilst I'm sure some people are very happy about this vinyl release, I couldn't give a crap, and would prefer Devialet stick with making great speakers rather than having a bias toward music genres and spamming me about it.

Am I wrong?

It is actually interesting to hear how people feel about this. It is not a question about who is being right or wrong. Everyone can have their own opinion.

I personally think it is only a good thing that Devialet shows passion and interest in music. Earlier it felt a bit like that they were only interested in high tech stuff, which just happens to play some music. That did not feel right because music is really important to me. Would I want to buy really expensive hifi equipment from a company who would not care about music at all? Absolutely not. Some other manufacturers, like Linn for example, have shown high interest in music and that has probably been only a good thing for their brand.

Spamming? If we get few emails a year, at least I am not considering that as a spamming. You can always unsubscribe if you like Smile

Actually I would be interested in getting more emails, or actually any communication from Devialet regarding the Expert. Their almost zero communication policy has been annoying.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I don't think the people working on the Lost Recordings are working on the Spark app or the Expert line. They are a company of 300 after all.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
I'm listening to the free 176/24 Brubeck cut right now and it is marvelous. I'm hard pressed to understand what's bad about having such a wonderful piece of music.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

If we are soliciting personal views here, I think the whole thing is an utter joke.

To be clear, I have absolutely no problem with the music itself. However, Devialet is a manufacturer of a relatively high technology digital amplifier, and they choose to showcase this with very old remastered music on a 'play once' format. OK, I get the line about the emotion of hearing something once, but you could play the digital file once and delete it for emotional pleasure. Then there is all this stuff about the lacquer being the ultimate format. It is not. I love vinyl, I play vinyl, but I am under no delusions that it is inherently superior to a modern digital methods of reproducing music. Vinyl can sound good because its shortcomings are euphonic, but shortcoming exist nevertheless and they are not all euphonic.

Consider that Devialet think it is a good idea for you to spend over Euro 6000 for something you can play once. Why? Because it is the ultimate format. Although the 'ultimate format' was converted into 24bit digital during the remastering, so the 'ultimate format' is one step removed from the actual ultimate format.

It is indisputable that the digital file is superior, and it is available here for Euro12.90.

http://www.fondamenta.fr/releases/261?locale=en

For a similar price to the play once lacquer, you could buy 500 of the digital files and delete each one after playing. This would give you the emotional effect of the play once performance, with the superior reproduction quality of a 24bit 176.4 KHz file, and you could listen to it 500 times more than once, and delete the file for pleasure each time.

So I think the entire thing is stupid.

I also note that they still have lacquers for sale for each of the lost recordings. This was a very limited edition, so there are obviously far less stupid people out there with 6K to spend on a lacquer than Devialet were hoping for.

Even the standard vinyl pressings are not cheap, when you consider the CD is Euro 17.

So yes it is great that Devialet are showing an interest in music, and reviving 'lost recordings' is commendable in my view. But not like this, it is far to embarrassing.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I had totally forgotten the 'lacquers'. Whew, what a concept.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(30-May-2017, 13:11)trashken Wrote: I don't think the people working on the Lost Recordings are working on the Spark app or the Expert line. They are a company of 300 after all.

I dont think Devialet is doing so much with this as it is a recordlabel named Fondamenta that is making the music.

http://www.fondamenta.fr/home?locale=en

All Devialet records is available for download in 24/174.6 at a cost of 12.90Euro

Free download of one song from the new album IV.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/05/the....html#more

I have bought all of the records in digital download but the lacquer thing is just silly.....
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I can't see any problem at all with the work or effort in making music available, even with the lacquers as part of that effort. In fact, i applaud it. I think an audio equipment company that also works on music is to be commended. Nobody here has criticized Naim or Linn for doing so. Bravo to Devialet.

The extravagant, single-play lacquers are interesting but not really relevant to their equipment or any of the typical music distribution formats. (I'd say the same thing about the chatter about reel to reel). But jeez, just let them do what they want. I don't personally care about the vinyl release, but I bet that many persons with $20K (and up) turntables will be interested in the finest quality product they can spend money on.

But they are spending time on music, which is actually the whole point of the 'hobby'; assuming of course that persons are in fact interested in music first, then the equipment. Having just come from the biennale in Venice, I would not criticize Devialet for a single use music product any more than I could condemn an art installation for only being available for experience while at the biennale.

They gave us a free music track in two formats, and I love their choice of music. They offer their limited recordings as digital downloads, or on vinyl. How can that be a problem? For anyone who does not want their emails, opt out. I can't see any reason for outrage or insult.

(Rome)
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(30-May-2017, 01:14)booshtukka Wrote: Whilst I'm sure some people are very happy about this vinyl release, I couldn't give a crap, and would prefer Devialet stick with making great speakers rather than having a bias toward music genres and spamming me about it.

Am I wrong?

Well, yes, I think you are wrong.  Rolleyes
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany