Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those of you with two tonearms/cartridges
Here's my scenario.

I have two tone arms, one with a stereo cartridge and one with a mono cartridge.

Since it is a VPI table and tone arms, it is reasonable simple to swap them out.

I see myself as having two options on how to manage this with my Devialet 440 Pro.

Option #1 - Configure another input for the second tone arm and cartridge (MONO).  This second input would have it's own phono cable plugged in, so when I do a swap I would just need to swap arms and the RCA connection at the back of the VPI junction box.

This seems straightforward except for the grounding wire. My naive question is can I just leave the grounding wire that is already connected for  my current tone arm and cartridge, in place and just disconnect the RCA cables with the ground still connected? 

Option #2 - would be to make a separate configuration for the MONO arm and cartridge on an SD card. This means I would have to swap SD cards and re start when I wanted to use a different arm. I would not however have to swap phono cables or worry about the ground wire, because I would be using the same input and phono cable.

I would prefer Option #1 if no one sees an issue with using the ground wire on one cable connected to the stereo input, while using the mono input on another line in with a different phono cable without a ground.

Make sense?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(31-May-2017, 00:26)baddog Wrote: Here's my scenario.

I have two tone arms, one with a stereo cartridge and one with a mono cartridge.

Since it is a VPI table and tone arms, it is reasonable simple to swap them out.

I see myself as having two options on how to manage this with my Devialet 440 Pro.

Option #1 - Configure another input for the second tone arm and cartridge (MONO).  This second input would have it's own phono cable plugged in, so when I do a swap I would just need to swap arms and the RCA connection at the back of the VPI junction box.

This seems straightforward except for the grounding wire. My naive question is can I just leave the grounding wire that is already connected for  my current tone arm and cartridge, in place and just disconnect the RCA cables with the ground still connected? 

Option #2 - would be to make a separate configuration for the MONO arm and cartridge on an SD card. This means I would have to swap SD cards and re start when I wanted to use a different arm. I would not however have to swap phono cables or worry about the ground wire, because I would be using the same input and phono cable.

I would prefer Option #1 if no one sees an issue with using the ground wire on one cable connected to the stereo input, while using the mono input on another line in with a different phono cable without a ground.

Make sense?

Would it be possible for you to buy another arm mount and have both arms mounted at once? You could then configure your amps to have a phono input on each and simply switch between them.
I realise that this may not be possible depending on what other inputs you may need.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
So my plan was to configure the Devialet to add a second Phono input on my master. So I would have PHONO 1 and PHONE 2, one for stereo and mono respectively with corresponding settings for each cartridge.

Each would have phono connectors plugged into them. Only the Phono Input that has a grounding wire would have a ground wire attached to it.

I would just swap arms/cartridges and plug the other phone connectors into the Junction box on the turntable.

I also use a digital AES connection between the two Devialets so I cannot enable the Phono input on the companion, or I could but I would have to swap the digital connection between the two back to S/PDIF which I would prefer not to do. That is a good idea though.

As to getting a second arm mount, I could do that, however that adds another $1000 to the cost, needing both a second arm mount and a VTA Base as well for the second tone arm.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
The ground is important to reduce hum so as long as the tt remains grounded to the Devialet in both cases it should be fine.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks f1eng!
SXSW, US