Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auralic G2 Range
I thought the new Auralic G2 range could do with it's own thread.  The reason being that the G2 'Streaming Transporter' appears to have a very good specification with respect to the typical desires of many members of this forum, that is it is 'Roon Ready' and has the generally preferred AES/EBU digital output.  So specification wise, a good match for the Devialet Expert.

As yet, I have not seen any reviews, either professional or from users, so there is absolutely no indication of how good it might sound, not yet anyway.  In the UK it is priced at £3900, so more expensive than the dCS network bridge, meaning it would need to sound pretty decent to be even remotely competitive.  It is different from the dCS offering though, in that it has a nice screen, which some may like, and others will consider does nothing other than add cost and electrical noise.  One other difference is that towards the end of the year there will also be a G2 'Upsampling Processor' and G2 'Femto Reference Clock'.  (no prices announced yet)  Curiously, the addition of an upsampler and clock does make the G2 range look more like the dCS Vivaldi offerings rather than the Network Bridge.  I very much doubt the Auralic will match the performance of the Vivaldi though, but time will tell, it might be a bargain if it does.

Something to look out for.....

http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/auralic-arie...orter.html

https://www.audiostream.com/content/auralic-g2-series

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/au...ents-r650/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Just as high-end streamers started fitting into something the size of a cigarette packet (or so we were told) - it seems like it's all 'gone a bit Naim' - aka sales guy "it's good as a standalone unit, but really starts to shine with an outboard femto clock, and sounds truly awesome with an upsampling unit (and perhaps an outboard linear PSU and five grands worth of cables to join it all together)". Smile

I guess these things just aren't aimed at me, but I suppose anyone missing their old stack of boxes since changing to Devialet, now has the chance to add a load back for the streamer part. Smile

They have high spec clocks, galvanic isolation, upsampling, filtering, high DSD rates and reasonably hefty processing. I'd like to think the streamerboard will go some way towards that since these are all current buzzwords now, but I guess it's unlikely being they didn't update the DAC chips in the pros.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Some more pictures and info regarding the new G2 line.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...-dac-more/

I have owned the old Aries but sold it and went with AIR instead as I felt that had better soundquality so the new Aries needs to step it up a notch.

Most of this boils down to how good the new Aries G2 will be compared to a dCS networkbridge, AIR, microRendu/SMS 200 + Mutec MC3......many different combinations to try and most of all what will we get with the new streamerboard.

Does not Devialet run the internal processing at 384/40 or am I wrong there? Perhaps the new streamerboard will bring PCM 384 and DoP DSD 128 to the table (DSD still being converted to PCM)
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

G2 has double galvanic isolation. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
(10-Jun-2017, 18:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Just as high-end streamers started fitting into something the size of a cigarette packet (or so we were told) - it seems like it's all 'gone a bit Naim' ......

It never really happened though did it!  OK, there was the microRendu (which is indeed tiny) that was supposed to be a match for the Aurender N10 and similar, but then you need to add a decent LPSU, maybe a Mutec or similar, and now you also need to add the IsoRegen, which also needs it's own LPSU.  So it's more like 3 fag packets and a coupe of cigar cases....    Then of course the Mutec needs the Ref 10 reference clock, oh, and the much larger sMS-200 is better than the mR cigarette packet super streamer anyway, especially in you add the also much larger tX-USB Ultra, sCLK-EX, USB to AES converter, a reference clock and 4 LPSU's...... Sad

So it depends on you perspective.  If neat and tidy is the aim, then AIR or the forthcoming giant killer Devialet OS board will be impossible to beat.

The original Aries was pioneering but as octaviars eludes to above, just a little bit disappointing sound quality wise, although later models were better.  For me the only real considerations are sound quality and functionality, it will be interesting to find out just how well this new range performs.  It might just save me from ending up with a sMS-200Ultra, tX-USB Ultra, sCLK-EX, USB to AES converter, a reference clock and 4 LPSU's...... Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Jun-2017, 09:27)Confused Wrote:
(10-Jun-2017, 18:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Just as high-end streamers started fitting into something the size of a cigarette packet (or so we were told) - it seems like it's all 'gone a bit Naim' ......

It never really happened though did it!  OK, there was the microRendu (which is indeed tiny) that was supposed to be a match for the Aurender N10 and similar, but then you need to add a decent LPSU, maybe a Mutec or similar, and now you also need to add the IsoRegen, which also needs it's own LPSU.  So it's more like 3 fag packets and a coupe of cigar cases....    Then of course the Mutec needs the Ref 10 reference clock, oh, and the much larger sMS-200 is better than the mR cigarette packet super streamer anyway, especially in you add the also much larger tX-USB Ultra, sCLK-EX, USB to AES converter, a reference clock and 4 LPSU's...... Sad

So it depends on you perspective.  If neat and tidy is the aim, then AIR or the forthcoming giant killer Devialet OS board will be impossible to beat.

The original Aries was pioneering but as octaviars eludes to above, just a little bit disappointing sound quality wise, although later models were better.  For me the only real considerations are sound quality and functionality, it will be interesting to find out just how well this new range performs.  It might just save me from ending up with a sMS-200Ultra, tX-USB Ultra, sCLK-EX, USB to AES converter, a reference clock and 4 LPSU's...... Sad

I agree with you a lot, you start of with something small and ends up with a lot of boxes to get the most out of the little box.

If a Aries G2 is really good then you have it all in one box perhaps no need for the extern clock as I see that is something when you run the whole stack of G2 equipment but how knows this is a changeing world of streaming.

If the new streamerboard/Roon or what will come out of that makes good music that will be the simplest solution I think. If Roon get this right a can see my self run a system with Roon ROCK on a NUC and streaming to my Devialet, main thing is that I loose HQ Player but perhaps I can live with that.... Huh
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree