Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trigger cable and the Configurator
(23-Mar-2020, 19:24)markush Wrote: Any suggestions where to get a decent trigger cable?
And is there really a noticeable difference between connecting via RCA-RCA or RCA-AES?

Unless  you need a longer cable between Master and Slave there shouldn't be. Earlier the preferred method was RCA->AES, but this did not work for me when I used a longer cable (10 feet) and had to get an impedance transformer like this.  DH labs cable is pretty reasonable for either type of connection.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
I completed the test: I managed to equalize the master and companion temperature in stand by and power off modes. Smile

Sources of information:
  • Devialet "RS232 Commands documentation": attached file "Automation-Devialet-notice.pdf".
  • Comparison of configuration files for the companion: attached file "Comparison.pdf".
  • Configuration without trigger cable: attached file "WITHOUT TRIGGER CABLE.png".
  • Configuration with trigger cable: attached file "WITH TRIGGER CABLE.png".

The test result:
  • The use of trigger cable does not affect the operating temperature for the master and companion.
  • The use of the trigger cable does not affect the start cycle of the master, but does affect the start cycle of the companion, for all these situations:
  • --- Starting after unplugging from the mains.
  • --- Starting after power off (long press on the "Power" button of the remote control), regardless of whether the start is made from the remote control or from an application (for example "Roon").
  • --- Starting after stand by (short press on the "Power" button of the remote control), whether the start is made from the remote control or from an application (for example "Roon").
  • Use of trigger cable affects companion temperature in standby and power off modes; does not affect the master temperature:
  • --- Without trigger cable, companion is substantially hotter than master.
  • --- With trigger cable, companion has the same temperature as master.

Important note:
In order to obtain the above results, it is important configuration file for the companion to contain the settings written in blue in the attached file "Comparison.pdf":
  • "TRIG_IN_MODE": "DAISY_CHAIN_SLAVE"
  • "SPDIF_CTRL": "OFF"
Unfortunately, the behavior of the configurator is somewhat random and these settings are not always obtained, even if you use a trigger cable configuration. I could not find a safe way to get these settings, but I have the feeling that these elements help:
  • Start a new configuration, do not use an existing one.
  • Make all the settings for the companion first, but do NOT open or change the settings for the digital cable between the master and the companion (the name is either "Digital" or "Chaining").
  • --- Note: After you open this popup and activate "Chaining Input", the setting can no longer be changed; you will need to make another new configuration file.
  • Make the master settings.
  • Save the master configuration file.
  • Save the companion configuration file.
  • Check that the companion configuration file includes the two settings above. If the settings are not as above, then the companion will behave as if there was no trigger cable (it will have higher temperature in standby and power off modes).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   Automation-Devialet-notice.pdf (Size: 574.95 KB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   Comparison.pdf (Size: 33.66 KB / Downloads: 6)
Not sure there is any correlation but...  I switched to using the trigger cable which now has successfully lowered the temp of my companion when powered down.

But, my 440 Pro consists of two 220 Pros and therefore 2 remotes.    I now find that one does not work at all and the other only works if I hold it next to the master.  I did check the config files to make sure my configuration still shows 2 remotes and it does. 

Has anyone run into a scenario where the remotes stopped working?  I haven't tried changing the batteries yet (because I'd need to go buy more batteries to do so).

Hard to imagine that the change in my configuration would have had any affect on the remotes, but they were both working prior to the config change.

UPDATE:  Nevermind.   After I power cycled both Master and Companion, the remotes started working again.   No idea what the issue was.   Never underestimate the power of a reboot ;-)
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA