Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trigger cable and the Configurator
The trigger cable separates signal from inter-amp communication, improving efficiency and lowering temperatures. More at https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2860
(02-Aug-2017, 04:54)Axel Wrote:
(01-Aug-2017, 16:13)mdconnelly Wrote: So help me understand... is the purpose of the trigger cable solely to enable inputs on the Companion?    If I want to enable the Pre-outs on the companion (for headphones) but do not need inputs on the Companion, I don't need a trigger cable but I will need to run the chaining cable SPDIF -> AES/EBU.    Is that correct?
I'm not sure about the exact purpose of the trigger cable, but apart from that you are correct. This is exactly how I run my setup.

So is it possible to do all of the following on a 440 Pro...

1) run chaining cable from SPDIF on master to AES/EBU on companion, and...
2) enable pre-outs for headphones on companion, and...
3) enable inputs on companion (i.e. use the trigger cable)

It "seems" like enabling inputs on companion is the only way to use the trigger cable but can't seem to do so using SPDIF -> AES/EBU for chaining.  Anyone doing this?

Any insight is appreciated!
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(08-Aug-2017, 21:55)mdconnelly Wrote:
(02-Aug-2017, 04:54)Axel Wrote:
(01-Aug-2017, 16:13)mdconnelly Wrote: So help me understand... is the purpose of the trigger cable solely to enable inputs on the Companion?    If I want to enable the Pre-outs on the companion (for headphones) but do not need inputs on the Companion, I don't need a trigger cable but I will need to run the chaining cable SPDIF -> AES/EBU.    Is that correct?
I'm not sure about the exact purpose of the trigger cable, but apart from that you are correct. This is exactly how I run my setup.

It "seems" like enabling inputs on companion is the only way to use the trigger cable but can't seem to do so using SPDIF -> AES/EBU for chaining.  Anyone doing this?

No, not as far as I'm aware. 1 and 2 are possible, but not with 3. 2 and 3 are possible, but not with 1.  If you connect S/PDIF to AES/EBU, the trigger ports are greyed out and unusable.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(09-Aug-2017, 00:51)Axel Wrote:
(08-Aug-2017, 21:55)mdconnelly Wrote: ...

No, not as far as I'm aware. 1 and 2 are possible, but not with 3. 2 and 3 are possible, but not with 1.  If you connect S/PDIF to AES/EBU, the trigger ports are greyed out and unusable.

That seems to make sense, as the AES/EBU connection is an input only. So if it's used for the master-companion link, there is no way to for the companion to send data from its inputs back to the master.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(09-Aug-2017, 07:11)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 00:51)Axel Wrote:
(08-Aug-2017, 21:55)mdconnelly Wrote: ...

That seems to make sense, as the AES/EBU connection is an input only.  So if it's used for the master-companion link, there is no way to for the companion to send data from its inputs back to the master.

But if you use AES/EBU, you can't use the trigger cable, so it must be two way.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(09-Aug-2017, 09:57)Axel Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 07:11)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 00:51)Axel Wrote: No, not as far as I'm aware. 1 and 2 are possible, but not with 3. 2 and 3 are possible, but not with 1.  If you connect S/PDIF to AES/EBU, the trigger ports are greyed out and unusable.

That seems to make sense, as the AES/EBU connection is an input only.  So if it's used for the master-companion link, there is no way to for the companion to send data from its inputs back to the master.

I hope we're not busy agreeing with each other...but: yes, since the companion can't send data (from its inputs) to the master via its AES/EBU connector, the trigger cable has no purpose when the master-companion link is via the companion's AES/EBU.  (That's my interpretation of why the configurator automatically greys out the trigger cable connectors on the companion when the link comes into its AES/EBU input, anyway.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(09-Aug-2017, 11:48)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 09:57)Axel Wrote:
(09-Aug-2017, 07:11)thumb5 Wrote: That seems to make sense, as the AES/EBU connection is an input only.  So if it's used for the master-companion link, there is no way to for the companion to send data from its inputs back to the master.

I hope we're not busy agreeing with each other...but: yes, since the companion can't send data (from its inputs) to the master via its AES/EBU connector, the trigger cable has no purpose when the master-companion link is via the companion's AES/EBU.  (That's my interpretation of why the configurator automatically greys out the trigger cable connectors on the companion when the link comes into its AES/EBU input, anyway.)

Agreed! Big Grin Big Grin
South Coast England
So... it has been stated that the use of the trigger cable helps balance the temp between master and companion (i.e. companion doesn't stay hot when master is in standby). So I'm wondering if running the SPDIF -> AES/EBU chain may do the same since you can't use the trigger cable between them when chained this way. Anyone with any insight on this?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Any suggestions where to get a decent trigger cable?
And is there really a noticeable difference between connecting via RCA-RCA or RCA-AES?
I just made some test on configurations with and without trigger cable. With trigger cable, startup on companion after stand by or power off is very different versus without cable. This is telling me that commands that master is sending to companion are different via digital versus via trigger cable.
I'll perform additional tests, and then come back with updated info.
Based on what I see now, I am expecting:
- No changes for temperature during playback.
- Possible changes for companion temperature during stand by and power off. ---> This will solve my issue. Smile