Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic protective sheet on top of Dev Expert
Do any of you leave the plastic protective sheet on your Expert rather than removing it?
Any problem with leaving it on?
The glue from the sheet might damage the finish, causing some staining. I would remove it if I were you.
It certainly reduces heat dissipation. The unit might overheat. Why would you want to leave an ugly plastic cover on a product that won several design awards?
The metal and the finish (lacquer or something) on the unit are quite hard they won't scratch easily.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(16-Jun-2017, 23:30)zdenes Wrote: It certainly reduces heat dissipation. The unit might overheat. Why would you want to leave an ugly plastic cover on a product that won several design awards?
The metal and the finish (lacquer or something) on the unit are quite hard they won't scratch easily.

I agree with the first part - it's a bit like buying a beautiful new sofa and throwing and old blanket permanently over it so it doesn't get dirty.

As for the not being easy to scratch, well, I'm not so sure about that......

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I'd definitely take it off. Over time, the heat from the amp will probably dry out the adhesive and I imagine it would be a nightmare to remove.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Plastic off and stored, cleaned up and looks great!
Thanks all,
Sorry, have to disagree here. The plastic sheet contains no adhesive, it's like the screen protector that you put on the phone. Never took them off of my original d-premier's which I bought in ~2013, the surface not covered with the plastic got stain from oil which became impossible to get rid of. When I upgraded them last year, I peeled them off for the first time, the surface looked like brand new without having any trace of glue/adhesive. Maybe I live in Asia and quite close to the sea.
(21-Jun-2017, 08:27)waikeywi Wrote: Sorry, have to disagree here. The plastic sheet contains no adhesive, it's like the screen protector that you put on the phone. Never took them off of my original d-premier's which I bought in ~2013, the surface not covered with the plastic got stain from oil which became impossible to get rid of. When I upgraded them last year, I peeled them off for the first time, the surface looked like brand new without having any trace of glue/adhesive. Maybe I live in Asia and quite close to the sea.
Yes, there is adhesive

take a close look the next time you get a brand new devialet.  The film does not fully contact the surface of each unit right around the edges.  Once you peel the film off there is indeed an oily/sticky residue left around the edges
Any sticky remains on the film. You can remove it and wash/dry and replace if you want.