Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound after upgrading LE120 to 220 pro
Hello,

after getting back the upgraded Amp (from LE120) and starting listening my favorite playlists (Audirvana 3.x, USB, KEF LS50, DPM = off, SAM = on 100%, AIFF format lossless CD quality or higher) I instantly noticed

- Wow! Where do all those details in music suddenly appear from? Amazing!
- Damn! Overall bass-improvement will definitely cause troubles with the neighbour!

But what I definitely miss is the clear and dominant presentation of vocals/voices, especially of female voices.

And in general, vocals/voices seem to be a bit damped compares with my LE120 experience, while almost every little detail in music and instruments is totally present now. And the bass.

Is this what experts call a "broader soundstage"? Or can this be caused by the KEF LS50s that are only rated for max. 100 WRMS per channel (KEF spec says 25 - 100 W, 8 Ohms, min.3.2 Ohms).

I'm struggling between "there is missing some emphasis on the vocals" and "hmm, overall listening is now easier, maybe more natural". And I play about +5 louder than I played with the LE120.

Or - what seems reasonable to me - is it simply the fact that a technically total renewed Amp has, of course, different characteristics compared with the old one.

Looking forward to your answers! Thanks a lot!

Knud
---
Devialet Expert 220 pro (Upgrade from LE 120), SAM on (100%), DPM off
USB
Macbook Air (4GB RAM), 2TB SSD via Thunderbolt
Audirvana+ 3.x in iTunes-Mode
KEF LS50
Russ Andrews YellO Power to wall socket
Russ Andrews X6 Block
I have a feeling that the first reply (after this one) will say that 'give it some burn-in time', i.e. you'll get used to it...
I think you gave the answer already: "total renewed Amp has, of course, different characteristics"
Over a decade ago when I had the largest Accuphase power amp I asked an Accuphase engineer in Tokyo at a show whether I would be better off to upgrade to the newer version of the same amp. He said 'it certainly sounds different, whether you prefer the new sound is another story'.

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Try taking SAM down a notch. The extra bass might be a bit much and take away from the vocals.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I recognize this too although I still don't understand why SAM has such a (negative) impact on voices if it's supposed to operate only under the bass frequencies. I always turn SAM off for a real listening session as it ruines voices
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
That's what I'm saying  Rolleyes Don't mess with the digital music signal. You will always loose more than you get.

@Zoltan
It had to be me to say 'burn in, burn in, burn in...'  Big Grin but it's true. Be patient Knud. Let the 220 run 24/7 for two weeks and it will sound a lot better.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(18-Jun-2017, 14:58)iamwappie Wrote: I recognize this too although I still don't understand why SAM has such a (negative) impact on voices if it's supposed to operate only under the bass frequencies. I always turn SAM off for a real listening session as it ruines voices

This is particularly interesting point since I much prefer having SAM set on (at 0 %). But on the other hand, I'm having different speakers than you. Logically thinking either the SAM works better for my speakers or alternatively it's a matter of personal preferences which one sounds better (SAM set on or off).

SAM operates under 200 hz so it's possible that it affects on voices too.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(18-Jun-2017, 14:58)iamwappie Wrote: I recognize this too although I still don't understand why SAM has such a (negative) impact on voices if it's supposed to operate only under the bass frequencies. I always turn SAM off for a real listening session as it ruines voices

I can only guess as I've not been on your listening room but I think it's the extra bass in the room, not SAM that is the issue.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I have listed to a number of 'Pro' Devialet's now, and my feeling is that there is very little difference between the presentation of vocals between the old 'Expert' and Pro models.

So I am more or less with Pim on this one.  It makes sense that you are finding a difference in the bass performance.  The LS50's do have a reputation for being a little power hungry and the jump from 120 to 220 Pro is almost certainly giving you a lot more of something in the lower frequencies.  Therefore, I think the issue might be the very real change in the presentation of the bass causing a negative perception with the presentation of the vocals.  There is much you can try here.  The LS50's do have a reputation for being sensitive to placement, so you could possibly try positioning further away from walls / corners.  (or nearer as an experiment)  As others have mentioned, you could set SAM to 0%, or try turning SAM off.  In addition, it is possible to 'tune' the bass ports on the LS50's, with the selection of foam inserts KEF provide with the speakers.  One easy thing to try, you could simply experiment with gradually turning the bass down via the Devialet tone control, and see if the vocal presentation comes back to life.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(19-Jun-2017, 06:29)yabaVR Wrote: That's what I'm saying  Rolleyes Don't mess with the digital music signal. You will always loose more than you get.

gui

I disagree. Angel To the OP: 'Mess' with it with some DSP room correction if none of the suggestions work, and I'm sure you'll get more than you lose.... I certainly did anyway.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

When I got my 220 Pro, I was fortunate to compare it with my 200 before I sold it. Initially, I felt the 220 Pro had more of a wow factor, but it was a bit different from what I had grown use to with the 200. Ultimately, the 220 Pro sound quality did change over the course of the first few weeks (although it is equally possible that my ears and appreciation of what I was hearing changed as well). By the time I sold my 200, I was extremely pleased with what I was hearing from the 220 Pro (so much so that I bought a 2nd one for a 440 Pro).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA