Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound after upgrading LE120 to 220 pro
(19-Jun-2017, 08:50)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(18-Jun-2017, 14:58)iamwappie Wrote: I recognize this too although I still don't understand why SAM has such a (negative) impact on voices if it's supposed to operate only under the bass frequencies. I always turn SAM off for a real listening session as it ruines voices

I can only guess as I've not been on your listening room but I think it's the extra bass in the room, not SAM that is the issue.

I wouldn't say it is the bass or the room acoustics. It also happens when listening to female voices only (e.g. Melanie de Biasio - With all my love). Another one of my favorites is Angus & Julia Stone's - For you and Draw your swords). A few months ago I had other speakers (Audio Physics Tempo 25) same story although the effect of SAM seems a little bit less with the Sonus Fabers. Maybe it is the harmonics I don't know.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(19-Jun-2017, 17:30)Confused Wrote: I have listed to a number of 'Pro' Devialet's now, and my feeling is that there is very little difference between the presentation of vocals between the old 'Expert' and Pro models.

I've only heard my own Pro, in the jump from a 120 to a 220, but I agree with Confused; there is no lack of vocal presence in the Pro series, but the overall sound, from top to bottom (in terms of frequency) is different. Much more detail in the highs and lows is revealed by the D220, compared to the D120, and that changes the presence, or posture, of the midrange.

The LS50 is, IMHO, fairly limited in bass output, and the D220 will absolutely be giving you more bottom end energy. With the additional upper frequency performance as well there is more coming at you than there was with the D120; as a result, there can be an impression that the midrange and vocal parts are reduced.

There are quite a few threads about the D220 / Pro series sound quality, so I won't repeat it all here. But I hope you become as thrilled with the upgrade as I am.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada