Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Devialet ever release new Expert features?
I personally find it quite incredible that people here start whining about the 'lack of new feature releases'.  I do not know of any other major top end manufacturer that releases at the level of Devialet.  The new 'Pros' only just came out.  My brother has a Classe CA-2300 amp and a cp-800 pre.  You will struggle to get better kit than this.  You know when they were released?  2010.  You know when they're being updated?  Now.  For about €17,000 you can own the new ones, when they are launched this year (waiting since October 2016 when they were first announced).  Boggles my mind the complaining that goes on in here.....
I'm pleased to see that there are many members who are happy with their amps and the release of new features. And I'm one of them. Since I started following this forum in Sept 2014 Devialet has updated their firmware many times; some minor and some major, especially in the phono capacity. They have created SAM lab and toured it around the world. They have made an incredible leap in amp performance from the Expert to the Pro series, and they managed to create the Phantom. And the number of speakers with SAM profiles continues to grow.

Many here seem to expect different features to be added, as if the fact that the Devialet is updatable should make it an automatic candidate for every feature that every other company is working on. Its as if the point of owning an expensive hi fi system is to continually play with the equipment, which frankly, a one-box product is not really ideal for.

We will get the streamer board at some point and then a whole new round of gear-fiddling can begin. I am not exasperated the information release from Devialet or the actual release date. Whatever the streamer board is actually going to do, I hope they take their time, get it right, and make it great.... which is what they did with the Pro upgrade.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Seeing @Seanster's post made me wonder.....   I had a read back through this thread and to me I actually saw very little whining or complaining.  The posts are mainly speculation, debate about the benefits of Room correction, and, yes, a little complaining about Devialet's communication.  For me, I could not be happier with the amp and it's current feature set suit me just fine.  That said (and here comes a genuine whine), you cannot get away from the disconnect between Devialet's advertising blurb and the reality.  The words "free, regular updates" are Devialet's own words, not the words of Devialet forum posters.  I will resist the temptation to complain about people who go onto Devialet forums just to whine and complain about people whining and complaining about Devialet, where would that end! Angel

How Devialet describe the EVO platform:

"The EVO platform, the electronic architecture of Expert Pro systems, is fully driven by upgradeable software. As such, your Expert Pro undergoes constant improvement via free, regular updates, for ever improved features and performance."

As for whining about communication, these words are Quentin Sannié's:

"I will make sure our teams get better at understanding your needs and communicating on a regular basis with you. Bringing you audiophile happiness is the reason we are all going to work with a big smile on our face every morning."

For me, the Devialet amp itself makes me very happy, the above hypocrisy is unnecessary, and does annoy me for this very reason, it will not ruin my day though.

Now back to some tunes...... Smile   Oh, and I wonder what full range SAM might be like??
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
AS i Said before enjoy your devialet it play AS a Dream ,enjoy the summer someday come ney streamerboard , here In 2017 that is What we have been told , so relacks and be happy instead of complaning all the time.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
I think a few contributors completely missed the point of the discussion.

It's not about whether other brands update less frequently than Devialet, or about updates to Devialet's product line, it's purely about the EVO platform, and Devialet's advertised claim (as quoted very nicely by Confused above), and whether its turned out to be the reality or not.

Why anyone thinks discussing something equals a lack of enjoyment of music I find pretty baffling. And if you don't care for updates, that's fine too - but it doesn't make the discussion any less valid.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

In our tech world updatable product often means not yet complete and buggy.
(24-Jun-2017, 16:54)Damon Wrote: We will get the streamer board at some point and then a whole new round of gear-fiddling can begin. I am not exasperated the information release from Devialet or the actual release date. Whatever the streamer board is actually going to do, I hope they take their time, get it right, and make it great.... which is what they did with the Pro upgrade.

+1.
(26-Jun-2017, 16:06)BoyScout Wrote:
(24-Jun-2017, 16:54)Damon Wrote: We will get the streamer board at some point and then a whole new round of gear-fiddling can begin. I am not exasperated the information release from Devialet or the actual release date. Whatever the streamer board is actually going to do, I hope they take their time, get it right, and make it great.... which is what they did with the Pro upgrade.

+1.

The question is, *What Streamer Board?* did we pay for? what does it do?  What features and supports? What software players/platforms?  Most of us paid for the new Evo platform partially if not mostly for that card, in anticipation of features like full Roon support or functionality improvements over Devialet Air.

The streamer board is not a clandestine project, it is something that people have already paid to deliver.  All we are asking for is some info of what it supports.  Personally if it does not support Roon or fails to carry DSD files, I will just move on and buy a dCS Network Player.  I am even fine if I paid for something not useful, but no info from Devialet is frustrating.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(22-Jun-2017, 13:17)Confused Wrote: Some good posts on this thread so far, I agree with much (but not all!) that has been said.  I have reached the point now where I have moved Devialet the company to a special place in my mind.  I thoroughly enjoy my amp for what it is and how it performs now, and any thoughts as to what might happen in the future I use for general amusement, in no way do I worry about it too much.

I do have some thoughts on Hifi_swlon's original question though.  There was a kind of golden period just after the 'Expert' was launched, when every six months or so there would be a firmware update with some new goodies, and roughly once a year there would be something significant, such as SAM, RAM or whatever.  So this lead to the feeling that new goodies would keep on emerging.  Of course, no one needs any new features, but it was nice to think that maybe one day something would come along that would be fun or enhance your enjoyment.  Quite good for those hopeless upgraders too, you could at least resist replacing the amp with the thought that some kind of upgrade or new feature is coming.

Then all this stopped.  There were firmware updates, but no new features of any significance.  At the time many speculated that this was directly related to the Phantom project.  With the new Phantom & SPARK besieged with bugs and issues to fix, clearly the software guys had no time to develop new toys for the Expert, a case of limited resources and clear priorities.  Indeed, it could be argued that this barren phase has simply continued to the present day, due to the focus being on continued work on SPARK etc. and latterly the OS Board.

This takes us to the key element of this thread, predicting the future, or at least predicting what Devialet will do.  One observation I can make is that historically Devialet have proven to be utterly unpredictable.  Indeed, there has been a predictions thread on this forum for a couple of years and every year the result is much the same, we all predict lots of stuff, very little of it happens, Devialet do something else.  The one thing you CAN predict about Devialet is that they will be unpredictable.

So here are my predictions for new features:

Using optimism:  The Phantom / SPARK project is now maturing, when Devialet have finalised the OS Board there will come a period where Devialet have lots of resources available and a lot less bug fixing to do, at this time Devialet will have time to get back to all the little pet Expert projects that they have had in mind for a couple of years or so.  So a new golden age will begin, new TLA's new features, EVO updates will be back like we have never seen them before.  Indeed, we should remember SAM was actually a spin off from the Phantom project, so imagine with Devialet expanding into car audio, TV's and other areas, there could be all kinds of surprising new things that develop from synergies from other projects and can be integrated into the Expert EVO platform. Smile

Using pessimism:  Devialet will never get on top of the bug fixing for SPARK, the OS Board or anything else, so there will never be resources for any EVO related toys or updates.  Furthermore, there is no desire now within Devialet to further develop the Expert anyway, the focus will be on ADH car audio, TV's and many other projects.  The Expert is drifting ever further away from Devialet's main focus. Angry

Meanwhile folks.......   Enjoy the tunes Shy

EDIT:  I have just had a thought....  Regarding SAM, RAM and other fine Expert features, they all appeared absolutely out of nowhere.  As far as I am aware, they were predicted by no one.

As always big money is the IP i.e. Intel inside...or in Devialet's case ADH(D) or (Attention Devialet Under) Hyperactive Disorder).
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
Maybe we´re all pushing the wrong way.
Maybe we must make some pression on our local dealers. They sold the gear, collect the money, they´re responsible.
That´s what i´m doing here...