Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allo - streamers, DACs, bridges etc.
(11-Jul-2017, 13:26)octaviars Wrote: You seem to really not know what to think about the sound the DigiOne makes. Was it a surprise that it is not so big difference to AIR or the differences between RCA and AES? 

I was going to hold off until I'd had it running for a few days so that I could get more accustomed to the small differences I perceive between this, and AIR.  Sadly it's died today so I can't really listen much more until I work out whats happened!  Angry

When i read other people comment about digital transport quality, I guess I expect quite a lot as there are some pretty excited adjectives bounced around.  That said, Rene (@RMB) on the Roon forums always seems pretty level-headed with his findings about these things and I'd say my initial impression was somewhat more like his (which was positives but more on the subtle side), maybe a little more underwhelmed.  I had expected a more significant difference based on their technical measurements, but then again I think AIR is really good and I preferred it to the microrendu even with a decent PSU.

But like I say I did think I perceived a difference and most obviously in the bass, but also a 'softer' or easier to listen to sound. Subtle to my ears and in thussetup, and I hadn't decided which I prefer TBH.  AIR comes across as more detailed. It's 'edgy'. Is it the true sound and through the facts this us just a bit aggressive? The Allo sounded slightly 'softer' but is this the sane detail level but delivered with less edge, or is it simply softer? I find these things hard to judge/rationalise. The Allo bass seems more full bodied, but maybe this us putting more bass into the room (too much perhaps) and therefore 'muddies' the sound. What I was hoping for is something so profoundly different and amazing that I wouldn't really have to think about it,but that definitely didn't happen. But even equal to or slightly better than AIR, for a £100 device (excluding Pi etc) ain't bad!

I intended to get some measurements done - I've only got a Umik and REW so I'd have nothing to measure the 'softer' sound, I guess Id need some seriously high end gear for that, but I'm certain I could measure the bass output change.  If not Id have to say it was probably all imaginary!

I didn't get very far comparing AES and RCA.  In my admittedly very short test, and obviously Im using adapters etc, they sounded the same.

But I will come back with some more listening details, assuming I get it working....

Have re-flashed with RoPiee and no joy.  Doing a new dietpi now, but I might have to face the fact that it's dead.  Rolleyes

(11-Jul-2017, 13:26)octaviars Wrote: Pi2 design is coming out with a Pi HAT with dedicated AES output in september it is called 502AES if one would like to skip the adapter.

What PSU do you use to power the Pi?

I'm still using stock PSU and cable - which was my intention - it was measured using those parameters according to Allo, so it should deliver on that basis.  Afterwards I'll try another PSU or battery.

Yeah I saw that AES one mentioned somewhere too, am watching with interest.

[edit - looks like the digiOne is definitely dead!]

Assuming I get it working again and a few additional cables, I'll listen some more. Beyond that it would be great to compare to a Mutec type chain. I'd be happy to ship it to someone local-ish with a nice Mutec chain to see how it compares.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Sorry to see that the DigiOne is dead.

Well sometimes I wonder how people could have listened to their system before they got this new thing it often sounds like the whole system change so much because of this little thing.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Well, hats off to Allo - I'm probably their worst customer first with package missing component and then now having killed it! Still they're sending a new one FOC.

They say perhaps it shorted when I swapped cables over, and it's safer to disconnect cable at the digiOne end before swapping over at the DAC? I've never used spdif or BNC does this seem likely? Maybe it's because I unclipped from the back of the Neutrik? Could have just been faulty of course, or it's very sensitive, I don't think I've ever managed to kill something so easily......

Anyway, listening on hold until the new one arrives. Still I'll be a dab hand at disassembling and rebuilding it.

Have also ordered an spdif cable from tm3 connections. Has Canare 'true' 75 ohm RCA connectors (which is the best I could find in my short research) and Belden cable. Pretty much same stuff blue jeans cable use. £20 for a meter. Be interesting to test both connection running simultaneously. Hopefully make it pretty easy to A-B. Just need to disable the safe volume level thing on the Devialet as it's set quite quietly so not the level I listen at to compare, and the volume changes are obviously distracting.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Spdif cable is here and wired in. So I can now compare a direct spdif, and a 'poor mans' AES via the BNC cable to Neutrik adapter.

Basically everything's setup and I'll also be able to compare both the above to AIR, and er, AIR. (Roon AIR that is).

Only one problem... I still don't have a replacement digiOne yet. But when it comes I'm ready.

Have given the digiOne a good thrashing today. Into spdif and AES (via BNC). Comparing mainly against Roon AIR (for convenience). Also tried my eBay 5v Linear in place of the stock supply.

I'm going to keep this summary short because time's short, but will come back and elaborate later if I have time.

There's not much separating any combination I tried to be honest.

I'd have to do it blind to get any further. For example, I kept thinking the bass depth/detail/impact from the digiOne via AES was better than Roon AIR. It's not quite as easy to compare like you can grouping sources, because AIR drops the transport when you change input, and as you can't group you have to try and get the tracks rolling in sync manually.

That said I just about managed, and after a couple of hours - when I was certain the digiOne had the edge because I was staring at Roon and the digiOne zone was displaying - I realised from the remote that actually it was the Ethernet input I was listening to! (Both were running at the same time). So a 'forced' blind test!

So I think there's a lot to be said for blind testing. I keep coming back to this thought with every cable/tweak I try these days, to the point where I think by and large cables etc are all the same. I think as humans we owe ourselves to acknowledge our weaknesses and limitations (or should we call it design?) and test everything todo with subtle sound changes blind.

Anyway, no time to do that today and I'd need a willing helper, but I think they are close enough to be called the same. I didn't detect any difference with the Linear PSU, or really between the spdif and AES (which of course isn't a true aes). I kept thinking AES was subtly easier on the ear too, but of course I've read a lot that says the same do could well just be drawing on that subconsciously.

I'm going to try and measure to see if the bass difference i hear is imagined. In my mind it's big enough to easily show up. Until then, I'd say the digiOne is very good value at £100! It was primarily for grouping the Devialet, and that works perfectly.

If anyone needs an spdif streamer, I can wholeheartedly recommend.

All based on my setup, room, ears obviously. YMMV.

(Sorry to turn this into a 'one man blog' btw)