Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinyl rip sounding tinny
(05-Jul-2017, 16:38)agentsmith Wrote: I sort of found out what the problem is but I do not know why.

I only had the problem with the thin sounding rip when I use an external step up transformer and connect to the Devialet's MM phono section.

When I connect the phono cable direct to the Devialet's MC section the rip sounds fine.

However, in both cases the level is much lower than playing via the turntable, i.e. when I play back both files, I had to turn the volume way up.

Any idea why that would be?  The step up transformer sounds perfect if I play via the TT.
Agentsmiths last entry corresponds exactly with my own experience. I have not previously had a problem recording from vinyl but a recent upgrade to a Transfiguration Proteus cartridge has presented problems. The recordings are a flatline and need an enormous amount of gain to be heard on playback. I have experimented with all sorts of configuration, deleted and re-downloaded Sony Soundforge but no improvement. It remains a mystery. My set up is; Devialet 440 Pro, SME 10 with SME V arm.
Having the same problem, has anyone found a solution?
I ripped over 100 Vinyls over the Devialet's MC phono Section. I use the USB out into my USB Input of my notebook with audacity. 192/24 sounds excellent. With audacity you can easely increase the gain to 0DB without any compression.
Devialet 250 pro ci, Linn Akurate G-Hub Nr.15 with clock upgrade, Linn G-Sneaky No.6, Pro-ject Perspektive Anniversary, Harbeth SHL5Plus, Synology DS218+, two subwoofer Canton 50k, Audioquest cable, Kimber Cable 12tc.

Germany.