Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinyl rip sounding tinny
Just tried ripping a couple of records and the resulting 24/96 ripped files are sounding tinny with low level and no bass.  Amp is D440 Pro

Details:
- Sampling rate 24/96 
- Software  Vinyl Studio
- Amp D440 Pro
- Source Linn Sondek LP12 with Phasemation PP-300 Cartridge with Phasemation Step UP Transformer.

The D440 Pro was upgraded from D400.  Previously, vinyls ripped using the same method sounded exactly like direct playback.  

I think this is the my first vinyl rip after upgrading to D440 Pro so I am not sure if this is related to the new hardware.

Has anyone experienced this before?  I am doing exactly the same steps as before.  I have tried several LPs and the results are the same.  The LP playback sounds fantastic, the ripped files sounds like tin can.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

Silly question, but here goes anyway: is the analog input your SUT is connected to configured for phono with RIAA equalisation?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yes analogue output of SUT is connected to phono configured as MM

It sounding wonderful and normal when played directly and during the recording
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

(04-Jul-2017, 00:55)agentsmith Wrote: Yes analogue output of SUT is connected to phono configured as MM

Sounds like a bug.

If you use RAM to select flat when playing does it sound like the rip?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(04-Jul-2017, 00:55)agentsmith Wrote: Yes analogue output of SUT is connected to phono configured as MM

Sorry, I didn't read your original post carefully enough.

If it sounds OK using VinylStudio's monitoring as you record it, maybe it's a problem in VS's filtering or output encoding (although you said no changes to your procedure)?  Might be worth having a chat with Paul at AlpineSoft.
Warwickshire, UK
(04-Jul-2017, 08:36)Soniclife Wrote:

Sounds like a bug.

If you use RAM to select flat when playing does it sound like the rip?

Yes it does sound like a bug or a misconfiguration.

No, the sound is so thin and tinny that it the rip definitely broken.

(04-Jul-2017, 10:21)thumb5 Wrote:

If it sounds OK using VinylStudio's monitoring as you record it, maybe it's a problem in VS's filtering or output encoding (although you said no changes to your procedure)?  Might be worth having a chat with Paul at AlpineSoft.

Yes monitoring sounds robust like the regular playback.  I already posted a question to Alpinesoft.  I think they will give me good advice.

(04-Jul-2017, 13:00)agentsmith Wrote:
(04-Jul-2017, 10:21)thumb5 Wrote:

Yes monitoring sounds robust like the regular playback.  I already posted a question to Alpinesoft.  I think they will give me good advice.
I stand corrected, there is no way for me to use Vinylstudio's monitoring because as I play Devialet has to be set to the Phono input, so technically it is impossible to monitor via VinylStudio, unless I use the Mac's built in output I guess.

I sort of found out what the problem is but I do not know why.

I only had the problem with the thin sounding rip when I use an external step up transformer and connect to the Devialet's MM phono section.

When I connect the phono cable direct to the Devialet's MC section the rip sounds fine.

However, in both cases the level is much lower than playing via the turntable, i.e. when I play back both files, I had to turn the volume way up.

Any idea why that would be? The step up transformer sounds perfect if I play via the TT.

(05-Jul-2017, 16:35)agentsmith Wrote: I stand corrected, there is no way for me to use Vinylstudio's monitoring because as I play Devialet has to be set to the Phono input, so technically it is impossible to monitor via VinylStudio, unless I use the Mac's built in output I guess.

That's how I do it - headphones connected to the Mac are usually good enough to tell you whether it's recording properly.
Warwickshire, UK