Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Phantom
Devialet - please make an outdoor/weatherproof Phantom.
This is (as I'm sure you know) an unofficial Devialet forum, so I'm not sure Devialet consistently monitor it, or at all.

In saying that; the current Phantoms are not weatherproof, but they are to a certain small extent resistant to water. But I would NEVER want to come close to testing that out. But the sheer design and materials the Phantom consists of ( as well as the sealed enclosure) creates quite a sturdy little unit. You would have a hard time having anything get inside the unit, or even damaging it from being outside 24/7, but you'd want to be careful about getting the front tweeter wet. It will still work fine, but being the most exposed area of Phantom I would just be careful.

Phantom is designed to be used in almost all household locations, including outside. You could purchase a Phantom with a Gecko and use that to mount it up on a wall or roof high off the ground for use outside.

In terms of being portable, that is not the intended use case of Phantom, and while possible, you'll have a hard time giving it consistent power.
Devialet Phantom (White)
Get a few UE Booms. You can connect up to ten of them to one phone/iPod/iPad/tablet. They might not sound as good as a Phantom but they're a lot of fun. And waterproof.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I routinely move gold to my patio and back to my den and if I have a bunch of people coming over, I move my pair of whites from my office to the patio so I can get a bigger sound stage.  The phantoms outside are truly remarkable.  I am at awe at the amount of base and how far they project for their size.  I haven't had the nerve to really crank it up due to concerns my neighbors may call the police, but I am soo tempted to hear how loud they can go...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(05-Jul-2017, 19:53)njaiswal Wrote: I routinely move gold to my patio and back to my den and if I have a bunch of people coming over, I move my pair of whites from my office to the patio so I can get a bigger sound stage.  The phantoms outside are truly remarkable.  I am at awe at the amount of base and how far they project for their size.  I haven't had the nerve to really crank it up due to concerns my neighbors may call the police, but I am soo tempted to hear how loud they can go...

Oh I MUST CERTAINLY say, I 100% agree. They sound even more unbelievable outside than in the home sometimes. 

I have put my White at 100% volume outside, in a hugely open space. The bass is as perfect as I could imagine (and I literally expected no bass from it outdoors). I hear all frequencies of bass with no interference, as there is almost no diffraction of the sound waves like inside when you have objects or materials retracting the wave differently.

The soundstage though. On a single Phantom outside is simply outstanding. It sounds as wide as a Gold Phantom. Sounds go up above, to the side, out like stereo. It is remarkable and I feel like in some cases this speaker works better outdoors, haha!

In saying that, a pair is gonna sound amazing indoors or outdoors.
Devialet Phantom (White)
My friend installed 5 of this on a yacht. I guess it should be weather proof.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

They are not weather proof, they have no IP rating nor is there any info from Devialet about water resistance. If they were weather proof I strongly believe Devialet would have used the fact in their promotion of Phantom.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(11-Jul-2017, 07:51)LTCY Wrote: My friend installed 5 of this on a yacht. I guess it should be weather proof.

I would totally love to hear how they faired after a rain storm...  I'm soo tempted to mount a pair of whites outside my house.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Devialet aren't gonna deal with the crap they get from customers about 'my Phantom fell in a pool and now it won't work, I'm entitled to a replacement, you said it could handle water' if they were to clearly state "'Splash proof' - it IS NOT waterproof, it can resist a splash, do NOT submerge".

The thing is sealed well enough to resist a splash but it WILL not take ANYTHING more than that. End of story. The entry points through the back side of the mid-range driver and the ports underneath the Phantom are enough to damage it, but a small splash anywhere isn't going to break it, or even effect it.

Personally, I have used my Phantom outside during rain and it has gotten slightly wet on top and on the sides, for one at higher volumes the woofers just rebound the water off, and secondly the top of the unit is completely sealed, more so than the rest. But I would not sit it in the rain and use it while it gets soaked, not gonna work.

Mounting them outside of your house under cover will be fine, they can withstand atmospheric and temperature changes quite well, and internally won't ever feel the effects, although under the sun constantly may cause a slight yellow discoloration on the white casing (which will wipe off quiet easily with commonly used cleaning products). I wouldn't mount them elsewhere outside, like uncovered, unless you are going to but them in a waterproof box, as if it rains hard damage could occur externally that can effect the circuitry internally (for example if water got into the power port or behind the mid range driver, the woofers are fine and water cannot get into the unit from them). But undercover, outside, no problems. Changing conditions won't effect them.
Devialet Phantom (White)
(05-Jul-2017, 19:53)njaiswal Wrote: I routinely move gold to my patio and back to my den and if I have a bunch of people coming over, I move my pair of whites from my office to the patio so I can get a bigger sound stage.  The phantoms outside are truly remarkable.  I am at awe at the amount of base and how far they project for their size.  I haven't had the nerve to really crank it up due to concerns my neighbors may call the police, but I am soo tempted to hear how loud they can go...

I agree with you 100%, the gold phantoms sound best outside on my terrace. 
Better imaging, and less aural fatigue from reverberated sound off the walls at high volume. 
The best audio room is no room at all (and the best audio cable is no cable at all).
Your neighbors should thank you for such good music coming their way  Shy
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac