Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Phantom
Owning even a single Gold Phantom makes me want to live far far far away from any neighbors. Listening to it outside is an experience in itself.
(29-Jul-2017, 06:03)Ovi Wrote: Owning even a single Gold Phantom makes me want to live far far far away from any neighbors. Listening to it outside is an experience in itself.

Could you elaborate? I'm very interested on your thoughts and experience with it outdoors!!! Big Grin
Devialet Phantom (White)
(29-Jul-2017, 07:31)kmjy Wrote:
(29-Jul-2017, 06:03)Ovi Wrote: Owning even a single Gold Phantom makes me want to live far far far away from any neighbors. Listening to it outside is an experience in itself.

Could you elaborate? I'm very interested on your thoughts and experience with it outdoors!!! Big Grin

I would guess that listening to it outdoor gets rid of any reflection and therefore you get to listen to a true pulsating spherical source which is supposed to be the ideal source. 

I can understand that it is a very special experience. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I live in the tropics and one of my Silver phantom is mounted to the outside wall of my deck next to my pool in all the tropical humidity that the equator has to throw at it. It does get a bit of splashing now and again when the rains come but Devialet Asia gave me an extended warranty for it as they said it will be no problem.

To be fair to them I haven't had any problems and its been up there for almost a year now and gets a good hammering quite regularly as we host a lot.
Pioneer123,

Wow, that's amazing. I thought it would be quite fragile if exposed to water. Time to get a pair for the shower.....Smile Kidding aside, good to know.
(02-Aug-2017, 22:15)MountainGuy Wrote: Pioneer123,

Wow, that's amazing.  I thought it would be quite fragile if exposed to water.   Time to get a pair for the shower.....Smile Kidding aside, good to know.

They're sealed. Just don't get water in the connectors on the back of the Phantom and you will have no issues.
They're splash resistant on the basis of the casing being sealed. Woofers will be fine; even though there is an opening around the edges of the woofer, down into that opening the unit it sealed off and uses a flexible component to allow long woofer movement without breaking the seal behind it, mid range will be fine as under the driver itself (the white ring) is another flexible sealant that will prevent anything getting inside the unit or having the pressure within the unit dropping, and the tweeter itself can get wet and is completely sealed from the front. So even though it looks like there are openings on the unit for water to enter into all of these are sealed out of sight of the user, under the driver. Everything is sealed. I would not advise to wet it of course but in the accidental case that it happens, no problems.
Devialet Phantom (White)
I tried it, but afterwards the treble was a little splashy, the woofer was a soggy dog, and the bass was a fish.
(29-Jul-2017, 08:40)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(29-Jul-2017, 07:31)kmjy Wrote:

I would guess that listening to it outdoor gets rid of any reflection and therefore you get to listen to a true pulsating spherical source which is supposed to be the ideal source. 

I can understand that it is a very special experience. 

Jean-Marie

That's exactly it, it is a whole different experience in itself. It's like the band is playing live in your backyard.