Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New thoughts about SAM
(10-Jul-2017, 10:56)ogs Wrote:
(10-Jul-2017, 10:09)Bartype Wrote:
(10-Jul-2017, 09:09)ogs Wrote: I've used SAM with room correction for a long time. I enable SAM at 100% and do the measurement with SAM. I feel I get most out of it all this way. Up till now I have used the SAM profile for Atohm GT1 plus some parameric EQ. I recently got my speakers SAM'ed and the overall result is even better. I also use no PEQ at the moment, however Roon recently changed RAAT to use TCP instead of UDP. With a microRendu this sounds much better in  mids and treble, but the bass is not quite as good as before. I hope Roon developers will fix bass quality in due course.

I used it this way also, SAM 100%, measurement and go with it. Sounds superb using roon, in my case! The only thing is, i also play records and then it's not possible to use digital room correction this way... That's the reason why i am looking for physical room correction where possible.

A bit OT in Hifi_swlon's thread, but I am in the exact same situation. I want to play vinyl, but not without digital room correction. Devialet has not fulfilled it's promise to introduce convolution in the DSP (where it belongs IMHO), however there is hope as Roon is working on an 'input device' that will let you send digital audio from 'somwhere' on your lan (presumably via RAAT) to Roon core and distribute it normally from there. Link to the Roon forum here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-as...aybe/11077

I think I'm going to do full measurements with SAM next time round. I tried it back in the 200 days and barely noticed the measured curves change, but ive got a feeling this will no longer be the case with the pro. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't an obvious bass extension in fact. I want to measure the effectiveness of my current filters, so next time I have a window to get the mic out I'll try a few combinations. I don't love doing the measurements and making filters, it's s bit of a pain to be honest (especially to write about it too) but it needs doing. I can feel my setup with SAM on and convolution is now soooo close, but something's not quite right at the same time - probably SAM extensions not seamlessly blending with my filters. Still, I'm happy enough. Having a quick comparison between AIR and the Allo DigiOne via AES....

I winder how far Roon are getting with that 'input device'. They've got a lot on.... but it would be great if they could do it. Even better if Devialet built a 'Roon-style' user DSP setup around the streamerboard. But we know which is more likely.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I reached the same conclusion than HiFi_swlon and, since the beggining of this year, have been using SAM together with an amplitude and phase correction implemented with rePhase.

Please note that, in the time domain, SAM introduces some phase rotations (see graph, in blue with SAM and in red without SAM). So to get a perfect correction, you need to take this into account.

[img][Image: 232411SAMPhase.jpg][/img]
(10-Jul-2017, 10:56)ogs Wrote:
(10-Jul-2017, 10:09)Bartype Wrote:
(10-Jul-2017, 09:09)ogs Wrote: I've used SAM with room correction for a long time. I enable SAM at 100% and do the measurement with SAM. I feel I get most out of it all this way. Up till now I have used the SAM profile for Atohm GT1 plus some parameric EQ. I recently got my speakers SAM'ed and the overall result is even better. I also use no PEQ at the moment, however Roon recently changed RAAT to use TCP instead of UDP. With a microRendu this sounds much better in  mids and treble, but the bass is not quite as good as before. I hope Roon developers will fix bass quality in due course.

I used it this way also, SAM 100%, measurement and go with it. Sounds superb using roon, in my case! The only thing is, i also play records and then it's not possible to use digital room correction this way... That's the reason why i am looking for physical room correction where possible.

A bit OT in Hifi_swlon's thread, but I am in the exact same situation. I want to play vinyl, but not without digital room correction. Devialet has not fulfilled it's promise to introduce convolution in the DSP (where it belongs IMHO), however there is hope as Roon is working on an 'input device' that will let you send digital audio from 'somwhere' on your lan (presumably via RAAT) to Roon core and distribute it normally from there. Link to the Roon forum here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-as...aybe/11077

I also want to play vinyl with room correction.

I'm still not clear why Devialet doesn't add that feature -- it should have the computational horsepower to do it, and there are free, open source software libraries for basic implementation.

Interesting that Roon seems to have it on their roadmap. Also interesting that Danny calls Devialet AIR "a disaster". Wink
I have a similar experience to Gerronwithit, The bass goes lower, but in my system the biggest effect is the sound image have expanded, the best way to describe is when I disable SAM the music sounds more flat.

I think it is fair to say it is the biggest single improvement I have made in my system, much more than any cable, change to dedicated streamer etc. have given.

Now I wonder if I should upgrade to a PRO, I will most likely play on my speakers until they give up, after the SAM they are truly brilliant!

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark