Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room setup: sound optimisation vs livability
The purchase of a new sofa is making me rethink a number of things with my set-up. Some pics of the room in the old set up here

Firstly, it removes the unit the TV & Soundbase was sitting on. This gives the room a bit more width but means I either have to run the TV through the Devialet or sell the soundbase and buy a soundbar to mount on the wall with the TV.

Secondly, and most importantly it makes me question my speaker placement. Currently speakers are placed in positions 1 and 2 shown. Positions 2 and 3 would be best for the TV, but that is a poor option for when sitting and working at the dining table. Any logic in placing the speakers in positions 1 and 3?
[Image: m4ADU6n.jpg]

At the moment we spend 80% of our time around the dining table with music playing and 20% in front of the TV. The addition of a second sofa might mean more time around the sofa, but there will still be at least 50% of time around the dining table and kitchen.

I've also got no idea on room treatment – so any suggestions on what I can do, particularly with mitigating the reflected noise from the kitchen – that both looks good and improves the sound is greatly appreciated. I don't want to move any furniture, but I'm open to more plants and even some acoustic panels if they look like neat art or design. 

Any tips greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

(07-Jul-2017, 15:12)rchinn Wrote: I've also got no idea on room treatment – so any suggestions on what I can do, particularly with mitigating the reflected noise from the kitchen – that both looks good and improves the sound is greatly appreciated. I don't want to move any furniture, but I'm open to more plants and even some acoustic panels if they look like neat art or design. 

Any tips greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

https://www.vicoustic.com/

Maybe it helps, but, IMHO positions 1 and 3 is out of question.
For good stereo imaging there needs to be a left/right symmetry and positions 1+3 or 2+3 would not provide that. Postion 1+2 would work, even reasonably well at the dinning table (with more room sound than closer at the sofas).
What material is used for the kitchen cabinets, open shelving would provide sound diffusion. If there is space above the kitchen it would great for absorbers preferentially diaphragmatic ones which are the most efficient at low frequencies. Microperforated absorbers have a much wider absorption frequency range than simple foam one. It is important to look at the spec sheets!
I see no alternative to speaker placement 1 and 2. As a room treatment behind the speakers for better bass will not be possible I would recommend to optimize the decoupling from the floor. For optimisarion of higher frequencies You could maybe treat the ceiling e.g. with 2 cm basotect, Most Importanz in the middle between speakers and Your listening positions, the more the better.
220 PRO/CI, Martin Logan Montis, HMS Gran Finale MK II, FritzBox 7590, Audirvana via USB, Tidal Hifi, - South Germany
Boyscout Wrote:
https://www.vicoustic.com/

- Thanks for the link. Some diffusers could work well on the walls either side of the kitchen

Music or Sound Wrote:
What material is used for the kitchen cabinets? Microperforated absorbers have a much wider absorption frequency range

- Just looking at these now. Seems like that could be good for the ceiling around the kitchen

devi63 wrote:
Treat the ceiling e.g. with 2 cm basotect

- looks like a cheaper solution to microabsorbers - so good to know - but I don't want to do too much between the speakers and sitting positions. I feel like I've had to do it all or nothing
220 PRO CI (12.2.6) - B&W 683 S2 - Audioquest Niagara 1000 - Chromecast + iFi SPDIF 
Technics 1210 (AudioMods arm, AT-150MLX, Mike New bearing + platter, crystal mat, Isonoe feet, external DC PSU) Stockholm, Sweden

I am going to stick with positions 1 and 2, I have moved them in from the walls almost a metre, rather than just have them in the corners.

I will need to sell my soundbase and try to find a soundbar. I wonder if I can use soundbar for main voice/sound and still get a feed into the Devialet for bass/sub?

Check this out: http://www.yarra3dx.com/

It's getting rave reviews.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(09-Jul-2017, 13:50)Axel Wrote: Check this out: http://www.yarra3dx.com/

It's getting rave reviews.

Cheers for the tip. Would be perfect for our set up.