Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom Design (Internal)
I've found recently some very very very interesting pictures of the internals of Phantom. I'm not sure what rules are on posting pics here but I thought I would share and see what everyone thinks of this. 

I'd really like to hear thoughts, in-depth or simple about what you think of the hardware, the construction, quality, everything. I want to understand how it works on a more technical level and I love to hear what people think.

Here are the first few pics. It's so fascinating to me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here are the last two.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet Phantom (White)
I think the Phantom design is fantastic! Devialet has all the reasons to be proud. I've seen some of these images before, but is is nice to have them at one place. The tooling cost for the internal frame alone would be impossible to handle for a company without proper funding. I know of only one other company that has used this method on a regular basis: Technics. Most Technics record players and some loudspeakers where made with aluminium cast cabinets. Hopefully the process is simpler and cheaper today than it was 25 years ago.
And design of the drive units, in particular the long excursion bass units. Very impressive high tech.
As soon as Phantoms support Ravenna on the ethernet port (if that ever happens) I am sure we will see a new boom in sales.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(09-Jul-2017, 11:40)ogs Wrote: And design of the drive units, in particular the long excursion bass units. Very impressive high tech.

Any idea how they work? Haven't seen much written specifically about that tech. It's not even clear to me from the photos what mechanism pushes the drivers out.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I think it is a "normal" driver in electrical terms. Large amounts of EQ and power plus SAM of course. Seems to be connected to the amp output via long pins fastened to the flex wire board at the edge. I guess the drivers use magnets too like an ordinary driver. It's the extremely long linear travel that make them really special. Without SAM controlling the output you'd easily break the bass drivers....
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(09-Jul-2017, 18:50)ogs Wrote: I think it is a "normal" driver in electrical terms. Large amounts of EQ and power plus SAM of course. Seems to be connected to the amp output via long pins fastened to the flex wire board at the edge. I guess the drivers use magnets too like an ordinary driver. It's the extremely long linear travel that make them really special. Without SAM controlling the output you'd easily break the bass drivers....

These are the kinds of replies I was looking for! So informative!

Yes, the aluminium frame seems to work extremely well. It shocks me how well their technique works for taking heat from those woofers and drawing it to the back of the Phantom.

Those woofer drivers look like monsters. From what I see in the pics the unit itself is about 20% larger than what we see on the unit from the dome cones on the outside.
I feel like they're right on the edge of usability here with these drivers, I remember hearing that they tried so many iterations and materials and most imploded from the pressure, this looks like if they went any thinner on that aluminium you'd have the same issue.

The reason I'm so fascinated about the woofers is because one of my Phantom's has been through a tough time lately. Both woofers are seriously dented and two of the dents are very deep on the top of the woofers, the others are like small crushes. In saying this, the woofers work 100% perfectly, absolutely no sound difference or inconsistency, and I am so curious as to how that works? How it can be so damaged but still function and sound normal. 

From my knowledge on them the actual 'woofer' itself is far within the casing of the Phantom and the dome drivers are simply a combination of looks, even sound dispersion, and a way to throw the woofer longer, as the cone itself acts as a part of the woofer. So to damage it you would have to actually penetrate the internal components, and the domes won't effect it too much.
(09-Jul-2017, 08:30)kmjy Wrote: I'd really like to hear thoughts, in-depth or simple about what you think of the hardware, the construction, quality, everything. I want to understand how it works on a more technical level and I love to hear what people think.

Devialet have filed an important number of patents. Many of them are published by now. Those include the ones that describe the bass drivers and other technologies they use in the Phantoms. Most of these patents were filed in French. But now in the nationalization phase they are translated into other languages, specifically into English for optaining protection in USA. A simple search for Devialet as owner of the patent in European patent database (espacenet https://worldwide.espacenet.com/advanced...cale=en_EP) gives you plenty of very detailed technical infos. Enjoy the read!
You may also find Devialet's whitepaper on the Phantom an interesting read:

https://en.devialet.com/assets/V3/pdf/Wh...tom-en.pdf

It's more about the signal chain than its mechanical design, though.
(09-Jul-2017, 18:50)ogs Wrote: I think it is a "normal" driver in electrical terms. Large amounts of EQ and power plus SAM of course. Seems to be connected to the amp output via long pins fastened to the flex wire board at the edge. I guess the drivers use magnets too like an ordinary driver. It's the extremely long linear travel that make them really special. Without SAM controlling the output you'd easily break the bass drivers....

Well I think this is only almost a normal driver. If you take as a working assumption that within the phantom you have the equivalent of one D800 or D1000 behind each woofer, the 4500W figure tells you that the impedance of that driver is probably under half an ohm. 

To my knowledge, the aluminum spherical shape seen on the edge of the phantoms is the 'membrane' of the speaker. 

A small dent in it should have no real noticeable effect because it should not change significantly the emissive surface of the speaker, and if the dent is small enough, the added diffraction probably is bemoan what can be heard. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France