Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Roon
Just trying to present an alternative view from a very happy Roon subscriber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(19-Jul-2017, 07:47)ovo Wrote: Will, It's not the waiting,it's the smugness which says:

"Drink deep from the well of musical culture which only I can provide, see how your life is better now"

I no longer unplug the TV at night to save the valves, but don't want to leave the iMac which I use as my Roon Core running 24/7.

I agree with you about the smugness (and that is being polite - bxxx sxxx - would be a more accurate description of some of them).  I must admit I now simply ignore them - I can't remember any of them from the last few days. I wouldn't want this minor annoyance to get in the way of my enjoyment of the music and the system
Point taken Chris, i'm glad you're happy and as I have the opportunity to try Roon at Devialet's expense, I'm hoping to make the most of the whole experience.

I noticed that importing my library produced fewer albums total than Audirvana+.I suspect that it may be that Roon reads ripped box sets as a single album with multiple discs and may reflect the way that I added them to the library.

Against that there were many albums which were fragmented into multiples during the initial import - just as well that the merge albums function in Roon works so well.

I'm sure that someone ( Guillaume or Antoine?) had offered some basic settings for Devialet and Roon, but I cannot for the life of me find them.

Currently using USB and optical - will try ethernet later - baby steps.
(19-Jul-2017, 09:21)Chris Marshall Wrote: An alternative view is that these are quotes from famous musicians and composers, I would have thought anyone who was a music fan in the wider sense would find them at least of passing interest.

I can't for the life of me understand why people get so worked up about tiny little things!

Yuh.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Jul-2017, 06:11)Will Wrote:
(19-Jul-2017, 02:20)kerkhoffd Wrote: Thnx! Very helpful as I am also an absolute novice with Roon. Just starting to see if I can get it running. Just found out my iPad is too old, so not sure how I will manage at the moment. Not feeling like buying a new iPad just to try out Roon and Air.

You don't need an iPad (or similar IOS or Android device - you can run Roon from a mobile (cell) phone). You can run Roon directly from your PC.  The iPad or similar, is extremely useful if your PC that has Roon loaded is located in another room.

iPad is pretty valuable for me, as my pc is two floors up in my study. NAS isn't powerful enough, and also in another room. To make it work I need to run a computer 24/7 and buy a new iPad as remote? Right? Laptop is not an option, as that travels with me to work and only has wifi.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Anyone know how to get the three months free trial?
Garrard 401 in AMD plinth, 12" Wand tonearm with a Sumiko Blackbird LO; Cyrus CDxT; MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus; Sonos ZP80; Devialet D220; Martin Logan ELS Electromotion.
(19-Jul-2017, 23:49)pjcamera Wrote: Anyone know how to get the three months free trial?

You should get an email from Devialet. If you haven't yet, maybe contact them.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Jul-2017, 16:52)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(19-Jul-2017, 06:11)Will Wrote:
(19-Jul-2017, 02:20)kerkhoffd Wrote: Thnx! Very helpful as I am also an absolute novice with Roon. Just starting to see if I can get it running. Just found out my iPad is too old, so not sure how I will manage at the moment. Not feeling like buying a new iPad just to try out Roon and Air.

You don't need an iPad (or similar IOS or Android device - you can run Roon from a mobile (cell) phone). You can run Roon directly from your PC.  The iPad or similar, is extremely useful if your PC that has Roon loaded is located in another room.

iPad is pretty valuable for me, as my pc is two floors up in my study. NAS isn't powerful enough, and also in another room. To make it work I need to run a computer 24/7 and buy a new iPad as remote? Right? Laptop is not an option, as that travels with me to work and only has wifi.  
I have my NAS (connected to the router) and main computer (laptop) in a separate room (the computer is on wifi).  You only need to have the computer running when you want to listen to music via Roon - it takes a couple of minutes at most, to start up and load Roon (once it is set up).  (You can also use your computer for other things while Roon is running - it might impact on sound quality)  I have connected my Devialet via Ethernet - using a power line extender - it is much more reliable for me than wifi.  Is it that you have got an older version of iPad that will not run the Roon App?  You don't have to have a dedicated iPad as a remote - again you can use your iPad for other things while Roon is running - and that will have no impact on SQ.  I often use my iPad for other things while listening to music - while using the Roon App to select the music and control the volume etc.

You could use your laptop
(19-Jul-2017, 23:49)pjcamera Wrote: Anyone know how to get the three months free trial?

I contacted Devialet and a couple of days later, the lovely Océane emailed me a code.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(20-Jul-2017, 00:01)Will Wrote:
(19-Jul-2017, 16:52)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(19-Jul-2017, 06:11)Will Wrote: You don't need an iPad (or similar IOS or Android device - you can run Roon from a mobile (cell) phone). You can run Roon directly from your PC.  The iPad or similar, is extremely useful if your PC that has Roon loaded is located in another room.

I have my NAS (connected to the router) and main computer (laptop) in a separate room (the computer is on wifi).  You only need to have the computer running when you want to listen to music via Roon - it takes a couple of minutes at most, to start up and load Roon (once it is set up).  (You can also use your computer for other things while Roon is running - it might impact on sound quality)  I have connected my Devialet via Ethernet - using a power line extender - it is much more reliable for me than wifi.  Is it that you have got an older version of iPad that will not run the Roon App?  You don't have to have a dedicated iPad as a remote - again you can use your iPad for other things while Roon is running - and that will have no impact on SQ.  I often use my iPad for other things while listening to music - while using the Roon App to select the music and control the volume etc.

You could use your laptop

Thanks for replying. Yes, my iPad seems to be one generaties too old to run the Roon remote app. This will not stop me trying Roon out, but my ancient computer stuff seems to be a hick-up with Roon, while they still perform very well with my current setup (Linn, Lumin app). Will find a way, but will wait for the holidays to arrive, so I can invest some time to get it working.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands