Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better sound at night?
(22-Jul-2017, 10:10)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Late night is also a fine when the body /brain relaxes more.

Now you hit the other side of the coin!  Smile  Sorry for digging little deeper... Our autonomic nervous system consists of 2 aspects, sympathetic (activity) and parasympathetic (rest). It´s easy to measure these parameters with so called Heart Rate Variability (HRV). Balance in HRV is a sign of health and coherence. Noticed that it sometimes takes 3-4 tracks before I enter a kind of relaxed coherent listening state. So once I tried to meditate for a short while before the music session and experienced directly a state of coherence.
(22-Jul-2017, 02:50)no32 Wrote: I 100% agree with you, the electricity grid is cleaner , background noise is also lower. However once I made sure the ground system in my system is properly installed the the night&day deference narrowed only to background noise.
I've experienced it over and over in all my systems and at all locations.

First, is good to see i´m not alone with this feeling.
And the solution is to do a ground system like you did, or it will remains all the time, no32?
I have, for now, just my laptop playing mostly Tidal by Roon. I know the computer is a source of noise.
I need to try others solutions too, or accept it like this.
(22-Jul-2017, 12:21)BoyScout Wrote:
(22-Jul-2017, 02:50)no32 Wrote: I 100% agree with you, the electricity grid is cleaner , background noise is also lower. However once I made sure the ground system in my system is properly installed the the night&day deference narrowed only to background noise.

And the solution is to do a ground system like you did, or it will remains all the time, no32?
I have, for now, just my laptop playing mostly Tidal by Roon. I know the computer is a source of noise.

Hello BoyScout, I give you right if your residence is in the country! This behavior has even been proved by some network operators (EVU's). In the city, the noise components are rising, because of this are other street lighting (throttles, ballast ...), TV etc. Would be an explanation! Shy
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(22-Jul-2017, 18:07)K4680 Wrote:
(22-Jul-2017, 12:21)BoyScout Wrote:

Hello BoyScout, I give you right if your residence is in the country! This behavior has even been proved by some network operators (EVU's). In the city, the noise components are rising, because of this are other street lighting (throttles, ballast ...), TV etc. Would be an explanation! Shy

Yes, it is. My house is in the country, in a place condominium like, the others houses are maybe 50/60 meters away.
Very quiet all day, there´s no difference between night and day from exterior sound.
I´m now more interested in this subject, but i don´t know how to solve it.
(22-Jul-2017, 10:26)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I've often wondered how much of it is to do with our ears and brain 'relaxing' or perhaps entering some sort of 'recovery' phase. It's really noticeable if I drive to work (OK, that was a while ago now!) and listen to music on the journey there and back how, next morning, I find the volume from the journey back home on the evening before is set way too loud for listening in the morning.  Extending this further, perhaps the 'recovery' doesn't just take place when you're asleep, but maybe in the hours leading up to sleep?
Probably a load of old codswallop but not impossible.

The same happens to me, when i drive to city and back home.
Tis is completely different, i spent several days working at home, like yesterday, listenning during all the afternoon and the break for cooking and dining is useful to note the difference especially in repeated tracks. I´m pretty sure, there´s a difference.
For years I tried to found out why I prefer music at night, I assumed it's light or the background noise around me. At some point I built dedicate music room in my office, it was my way to getaway and relax , but even there I preferred listening at night time. I approached Applied Physic faculty in the local university and convinced them to run a small research for me, they form a small group of scientists that talked/argued and took some measurements ... it wasn't official but it was serious. One of the conclusion was the importance of grounding and they suggested I'll install my own grounding system which I did...
I wrote about it in the power cable topic
(18-Jul-2017, 04:23)no32 Wrote: I don't have an opinion about power cords for the devialet but I can report that a separate ground did wonders for me.
I built thick copper mesh, about 1m square and buried it more than a meter into the ground ,in addition I used 2 solid copper ground rods going additional 15 meter into the ground. I also. connect it to water line. All joints are crimped and welded. In addition I keep the ground moist ( irrigation) For me it's by far the best tweak I ever found. I do it for years now, ( every time I move apartment or house) and I always amazed of the positive deference. I know it's not easy tweak , specially in apartment with neighbors
Few days ago I wrote to one of the members here the following:

Re:Separate ground
I can't take a picture of the actual connector since it's all berried behind the wall and look like an ordinary socket. What I did is run the ground cable directly into the electric box , which is berried behind the wall . I'll try to see if I have similar box and take a picture for you. There's nothing special with the cable , just good quality 10g copper cable with double isolation. In the past I played with all sort of mains cables , even with ferrite coating and double shielding ( similar to RG11 cables) but the results where no better. Few years ago I run very thick solid copper direct line from the mains and even this wasn't better than standard 20 amps line.
I played with all sort of cables for many years and came to the conclusion that for me the only big improvement comes from good grounding, it's stables the system, makes it less effected from external changes even from the electricity supply who tend to change during the day. "

And yet again it could be just matter if psychoacoustics
(22-Jul-2017, 19:52)no32 Wrote: For years I tried to found out why I prefer music at night, I assumed it's light or the background noise around me. At some point I built dedicate music room in my office, it was my way to getaway and relax , but even there I preferred listening at night time. I approached Applied Physic faculty in the local university and convinced them to run a small research for me, they form a small group of scientists that talked/argued  and took some measurements  ... it wasn't official but it was serious. One of the conclusion was the importance of grounding and they suggested I'll install my own grounding system which I did...
(18-Jul-2017, 04:23)no32 Wrote: I don't have an opinion about power cords for the devialet but I can report that a separate ground did wonders for me.
I built thick copper mesh, about 1m square and buried it more than a meter into the ground ,in addition I used 2 solid copper ground rods going additional 15 meter into the ground. I also. connect it to water line. All joints are crimped and welded. In addition I keep the ground moist ( irrigation) For me it's by far the best tweak I ever found. I do it for years now, ( every time I move apartment or house) and I always amazed of the positive deference. I know it's not easy tweak , specially in apartment with neighbors
Few days ago I wrote to one of the members here the following:

Re:Separate ground
I can't take a picture of the actual connector since it's all berried behind the wall and look like an ordinary socket. What I did is run the ground cable directly into the electric box , which is berried behind the wall . I'll try to see if I have similar box and take a picture for you.  There's nothing special with the cable , just good quality 10g copper cable with double isolation. In the past I played with all sort of mains cables , even with ferrite coating and double shielding    ( similar to RG11 cables) but the results where no better. Few years ago I run very thick solid copper direct line from the mains and even this wasn't better than standard 20 amps line.
I played with all sort of cables for many years and came to the conclusion that for me the only big improvement comes from good grounding, it's stables the system, makes it less effected from external changes even from the electricity supply who tend to change during the day. "

And yet again it could be just  matter if psychoacoustics

With the clean grounding I am full with you! Rolleyes
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...ight=k4680
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
Where or how do they ground the box? Isn't it floating ? Do they clean the D.C. noise or actual grounding it ?
(22-Jul-2017, 19:52)no32 Wrote: For years I tried to found out why I prefer music at night, I assumed it's light or the background noise around me. At some point I built dedicate music room in my office, it was my way to getaway and relax , but even there I preferred listening at night time. I approached Applied Physic faculty in the local university and convinced them to run a small research for me, they form a small group of scientists that talked/argued  and took some measurements  ... it wasn't official but it was serious. One of the conclusion was the importance of grounding and they suggested I'll install my own grounding system which I did...

I think i´ve conditions to do something like that. Doesn´t seems very complicated, considering i´ve the lawn just over there.
The idea is to link the system´s sockets ground cable to another one, thicker, and connect it to a buried copper base (and if possible to a water line too).
Am i missing something?
(22-Jul-2017, 21:07)no32 Wrote: Where or how do they ground the box? Isn't it floating ? Do they clean the D.C. noise or actual grounding it ?

The whole is called foundation grounding. When building the house, a grounding line is laid in the concrete floor of the house. At one end the earthing strip is led out of the concrete and serves as a connection for the potential equalization (see picture, gray box on the wall). Afterwards, the grounding tape can also be laid in the earth.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Germany / Bavaria