Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whirring sound?
The noise is caused by vibrating ferrite elements in the PSU. Their mass is probably so low that damping the outside of the, much higher mass, chassis in which these lower mass ferrites vibrate won't make much of a difference. I think these ferrites need to be dampened directly (if possible).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(30-Nov-2014, 23:57)Antoine Wrote: The noise is caused by vibrating ferrite elements in the PSU. Their mass is probably so low that damping the outside of the, much higher mass, chassis in which these lower mass ferrites vibrate won't make much of a difference. I think these ferrites need to be dampened directly (if possible).

exactly! dampening doesn't change a thing, I tried it
Any updates on this topic?
Do all models make sound or not as some of you claimed there's no sound at all?
(05-Feb-2015, 07:04)mirekti Wrote: Any updates on this topic?
Do all models make sound or not as some of you claimed there's no sound at all?

Not too sure what this "whirring" sound is all about, but certainly neither my Master nor Compnion Units display this sort of noise, in fact they are totally silent in operation!

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
if the noise is noticeable I'd contact the dealer, or Devialet themselves. I think noisy ferrite core is a known issue but quite rare. I think the core might be touching the case and amplifying the vibration.
It definitely varies between units: my original 200 is almost totally silent but the one I added recently as a companion is just audible from a couple of metres distance (though not from my normal listening position) in a quiet room.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I read the article about ferrite on top of this thread, and after googling it found following: http://www.google.com/patents/US6177855
Not sure if this can be applied to the Deviealet's power supply, but if so it would be nice if they considered it in the future product.