Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bringing an Expert Amp on a Flight
Has anyone brought an expert amp onto a flight as a hand luggage or as laptop?

I'm planning on going on holidays to Scotland from Ireland and thinking of picking up an exdemo or 2nd hand one privately while I'm over in the uk.

I looked at the list of prohibited items to take on as hand luggage and it doesn't state amplifier and it also recommends no to put fragile and expensive equipment into checked luggage. Was thinking of putting the box into the checked luggage and somehow bring the amp onto the flight by myself but don't like the idea of trying to explain that what may look like a big laptop is actually an amp.

I have a couple of old laptop bags that I used for my old thick 15 inch laptop but I still don't think it may fit have to check the exact measurements. Anyone with experience?
(24-Jul-2017, 00:42)Dom Wrote: Has anyone brought an expert amp onto a flight as a hand luggage or as laptop?

I'm planning on going on holidays to Scotland from Ireland and thinking of picking up an exdemo or 2nd hand one privately while I'm over in the uk.

I looked at the list of prohibited items to take on as hand luggage and it doesn't state amplifier and it also recommends no to put fragile and expensive equipment into checked luggage. Was thinking of putting the box into the checked luggage and somehow bring the amp onto the flight by myself but don't like the idea of trying to explain that what may look like a big laptop is actually an amp.

I have a couple of old laptop bags that I used for my old thick 15 inch laptop but I still don't think it may fit have to check the exact measurements. Anyone with experience?

Dom, I did something like that twice; once in a short flight like what you are planning (Santiago, Chile, to Buenos Aires) and then on a long one from London to BA when I upgraded from 120 to 220. Never had a problem. Actually the original box fits fine on an A320, and much more comfortably on a 777. Certainly it isn't something I would check into the hold, so I simply brought it on board. I used the original box, not the cardboard one which I discarded, as this box is protection enough (you are taking it in your own hands) and self explanatory.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did it once , in a suitcase in the original boxes and shipped it. Went just fine
I once brought a Mesa Boogie Maverick head on a flight with me ( the Maverick includes tubes by the way ). No issues either going through security or placing in the overhead bin.

To be honest, I was a little surprised that there was no even a question posed....

Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(24-Jul-2017, 03:09)baddog Wrote: I once brought a Mesa Boogie Maverick head on a flight with me ( the Maverick includes tubes by the way ). No issues either going through security or placing in the overhead bin.

To be honest, I was a little surprised that there was no even a question posed....

I expect you'd have a problem these days. A valve could be smashed and used as a lethal weapon. No such problems with a Devialet though.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
@Axel - I admit I was surprised that I was not queried about bringing this on board, especially due to the tubes in the amplifier. This was in the US and a domestic flight from Southern California to Northern California. Only two years ago no less, puzzling, and I agree, the Devialet would pose no such issues or concerns.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(24-Jul-2017, 04:05)Axel Wrote:
(24-Jul-2017, 03:09)baddog Wrote: I once brought a Mesa Boogie Maverick head on a flight with me ( the Maverick includes tubes by the way ). No issues either going through security or placing in the overhead bin.

I expect you'd have a problem these days. A valve could be smashed and used as a lethal weapon. No such problems with a Devialet though.

I don't know, I think if you threw the remote it could be pretty dangerous, probably lethal depending on the angle. As for throwing/swinging the whole unit...... Angel

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I just put the box in my check-in suitcase and wrapped the amp in a lot of bubble wrap put it in the Devialet bag and nursed it all the way as carry on. It fit in the over head easy. No problem with going through the scanners.
Thanks guys that's great to hear. Will be on holidays in Scotland and then disappear for a day taking a train down to England, there seems to be a a few down there.

I'll try put the amp under the seat if I can, don't like the the way everyone squashes their carry on in the overhead bin and then scrambles to open it once the plane stops.

Was afraid trying to explain that it is actually an amp to security when going through the scanner but it seems ok. Imagine for example trying to get a macintosh, vitus, classe anything around the price region of a Devialet there's no hope only chancing your arm with a courier or actually driving abroad.

The price of insured courier costs about the same for a flight ticket and I got quoted for a max value of £2500
(24-Jul-2017, 14:08)Dom Wrote: Thanks guys that's great to hear. Will be on holidays in Scotland and then disappear for a day taking a train down to England, there seems to be a a few down there.

I'll try put the amp under the seat if I can, don't like the the way everyone squashes their carry on in the overhead bin and then scrambles to open it once the plane stops.

Was afraid trying to explain that it is actually an amp to security when going through the scanner but it seems ok. Imagine for example trying to get a macintosh, vitus, classe anything around the price region of a Devialet there's no hope only chancing your arm with a courier or actually driving abroad.

The price of insured courier costs about the same for a flight ticket and I got quoted for a max value of £2500
Hope you enjoy your trip to our fair shores and that you find what you're looking for. 
Happy hunting!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England