Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good is Roon AIR?
One point to note when we are doing subjective comparisons between Roon AIR, Audirvana+, Aurenders or whatever, a lot of this will be system dependant. In the past there was speculation that Windows AIR sounds a little better than MAC AIR, Audirvana+ itself is MAC only, then more recently my own speculation that AIR3 with the Pro has taken quite a big leap in performance versus AIR 3 in the Expert. Quite a lot of variables!

I did a bit more A/B testing with Windows Roon AIR / Pro vs mR / Mutec yesterday. So to answer the OP's question, 'How good is Roon AIR', I would keep it simple here, with respect to sound quality, it is superb.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
A short update on the 1.4 upgrade.
The start of my journey with microRemndu 1.4 was different from what I expected. Cold from the box it sounded dark and lacking in detail retrival. Break in was clearly necessary. Yesterday 48 hours of continous play had passed and I did some listening and comparisons. I haven't had the 1.3 mR in my system for over a week so memory is fading. In stead I compared the mR 1.4/Mutec to RoonAIR. I believe the 1.4 needs more time before it has completely 'settled', but it now sounds really good. Strange thing is that 1.4/Mutec sounds more like RoonAIR than 1.3/Mutec did, but with more output in the deep bass (similar to 1.3, but even more pronounced) and a more 'engaging' presentation overall with better dynamic contrasts.
I guess that the new clocks in 1.4 is more sensitive to break in than the ones in 1.3 so I'll give the new 1.4 another 50 hours and listen again. So far the upgrade was definately worth it in my system.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Roon's AIR implementation is very good. When you include the integration Roon has with the Expert amps it gets even better. If a volume limit setting is introduced in a future Roon (remote) upgrade the integration is complete. I believe many Expert users will get better sound from Roon AIR than their previous solutions. Especially if FMC's are used for network isolation. There are rumours that Core Infinity will get RAAT at some point. That will of course improve things, but the basics remain. Roon AIR is superb - to quote Confused above.

The mR 1.4/USPCB/Mutec has better sound. In my system much better. More detail and dynamics, better imaging and even a more relaxed presentation. For some reason the extra bass output I noted in my post above is gone, but detail and definition is still there (I can not tell if this is due to break-in or other factors). Tonal balance is very similar to AIR.

There is a Price for this: $640 for the microRendu, $235 for the 1.4 upgrade, around $1100 for the Mutec MC3+USB and the USPCB at a cheap $35. Then there is the AES/EBU cable and postage. Easily more than $2000. Compared to AIR, which is basically free, you get lots of performance. Knowing what the mR/USPCB/Mutec does I would buy these again. If I didn't know I might just settle for Roon AIR.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Well I must admit to being one of those lucky people who had no problems running AIR in it's Devialet guise (i.e. Pre Roon/AIR integration) especially after version 3.0.4. I must also admit that I have had my finger poised over the "purchase" button on both mR and MUTEC but have resisted the temptation  Big Grin

Following the release of Roon/AIR integration I used that for awhile, again with no problems - in fact I did perceive some sonic improvements (maybe expectation bias, but hey!). When Roon released ROCK I bit the bullet and "forked out" out on an Intel NUC and installed ROCK, and use this as my Roon Core running with Roon/AIR. Anyway I have no problems with sound quality, so have not been further  tempted to go  for a mR or MUTEC. I am not saying that either would, or would not, bring further sonic benefits, but I personally do not now see the need to purchase more boxes (and cables) for my system - if someone is happy to bring me a mR & MUTEC to try, I would give it a go  Angel.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK