Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Isoacoustics Gaia Isolation pods
(21-Aug-2017, 08:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi Confused,

Could you please explain a bit more in depth about what it is we're looking at above? Are those different frequencies? Is one inverted? I have no idea what I'm looking at other than some nice coloured lines.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, different frequencies.  No, the second one is not inverted.  They are two 'snips' from a REW frequency sweep curve, indicating the relative dB levels through the frequency range.  The first one is a reinforcement peak at something like 60Hz I think.  I am away from my music PC at the moment, so no access to the curves to double check the specific frequencies, not that the specific frequencies really matter here as this will be specific to the room and speaker placement.  The second snip is from a 'null' at a higher frequency.  So the peaks result from room reflections adding up, the nulls from them cancelling out.  So what the snips show is the feet actually reducing the peaks very slightly, and reducing the higher frequency null slightly.  I did zoom in / out of the REW display to make the difference in the peak of the curves as easy to see as possible when posted here.  I think the very slight difference in the curves do indicate the feet are doing something.

Of course this is based on one particular speaker design in one specific room, a sample of one with a relatively unusual speaker design.  So statistically of very limited value.  Hence I would be interested if Hifi_swlon could achieve anything similar with a test before and after his pending Iso Accoustics removal.  A data set of two is much better than one.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Another useful datum would be to run the same REW sweeps with no changes a few times, to see how repeatable they are. Maybe you've already done that?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the explanation Confused.

As you said, with your speakers with opposing woofers, sitting on carpet on concrete you wouldn't expect much of a difference from isolators so I expect to see a more profound difference from Hifi_swlon's speakers.

You guys might want to have a chat about the scale you're using if hifi_swlon is doing a sweep so differences are correctly shown. Interesting stuff.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(21-Aug-2017, 12:59)thumb5 Wrote: Another useful datum would be to run the same REW sweeps with no changes a few times, to see how repeatable they are.  Maybe you've already done that?

Yes, I tried that.  At the 'lower frequency' end of the scale the curves are very repeatable, higher up less repeatable.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi all, just got a set of Gaia III's for my PMC's, and I think they are amazing. Feels like I'm hearing why my speakers cost three grand for the first time. Never realised how much my sprung laminate floorboard was singing to me before!

My question is: can anyone help with alignment method? I can't work out how to align the logo facing 0/180 degrees *AND* lock them tightly in place at the same time! You can't get to the locking rings once the thread is screwed all the way down. The closest I can get is to put one ring beneath my PMC's outrigger plates, and one above, then apply tightenting force to the latter after de-rotating the feet slightly from their full locking position. (But then the underside part feels slightly loose).

What am I missing ?!?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
You lock the thread to the unit with the spanner and then tighten bottom ring. This just stays tight.
Then you level using the top ring - loosen it off and rotate the whole unit until you have the level you want, then tighten the top ring to your speaker. If that makes sense? Basically only the top ring should be adjusted after installation.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It sounds like I'm on the right track, using only the topmost ring to tighten. But they're not actually nuts, so one has to use thin pliers to grip their sides and rotate them, yes?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Depends how tight you want them I suppose! Finger tight was fine for me. Nice and solid.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hi All, HiFi Choice Magazine Gives GAIA Series 5 Stars Shy

Attached Files
.pdf   HFC_427_Isoacoustics_Reprint.pdf (Size: 432.32 KB / Downloads: 855)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I’m a fan as well!