Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New loudspeakers & room digital correction service
(31-Mar-2018, 01:34)Celts88 Wrote:
(30-Mar-2018, 20:34)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Any chance someone could link to the pdf for the RTF tool/info/instructions. I’m not at a computer so can’t open the package.

Here you go

Thanks. I ended up doing measurements in REW since that was already setup (with sweeps in Roon), and this new ‘simpler’ setup still involved some installs and config.

Except I got interrupted after only the two sweetspots. Will try again tomorrow or failing that it’s next weekend or beyond, but meanwhile I did a quick bodge on new EQs in REW and that has at least fixed the bass boom since moving speakers around. Doesn’t sound much worse than the RTA set I did ages ago. But I’m interested to try the HAF as soon as I can get the full measurements redone.

*edit, finally got them done and sent off. Not sure if they were the best I’ve ever done but we’ll see....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(01-Apr-2018, 18:44)alandbush Wrote:
(01-Apr-2018, 13:54)Celts88 Wrote: Response above from Thierry on other website.

Sorry to be such a square, but would anyone know how do I go about doing the room transfer measurements (as bolded above), as it's sounds from your explanation that this would be the better option. Also can I do this using your tools, or with REW?

Cheers
John

I suspect that Thierry is simply stating that you measure each speaker separately without crossover.
I would suggest that REW is best for this as you can view these sweep measurements overlaid on each other.
Doing this should enable you to determine a good crossover point, rather than your current choice which, I presume, is based on nothing substantial.

Subsequently, once you have applied your appropriate crossover, you can measure the left+sub and right+sub with REW to confirm the efficacy of the crossover.
Alan

Ok so single measurements or do I have to do sweeps. Also how do I do just the subwoofer, and when doing the left & right speakers do I turn off the sub so it's only the single speaker?

After taking the measurements and overlaying onto each other I look for what to figure out the best crossover frequency?

As you can see from the above I'm a bit of a novice AT THIS
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(02-Apr-2018, 07:10)Celts88 Wrote: As you can see from the above I'm a bit of a novice AT THIS

Hmm, that suggests to me that you should take the easier route and use your current crossover.
As Thierry stated, you can then use either method to make the measurements. This will involve recording a measurement sweep for each of the left and right speakers with the crossover enabled and the sub active. There is plenty of advice as to how to do that, not least at the host of REW, I.e. the HomeTheaterShack.

It would have been nice to help further, but I could not find a suitable guide or forum thread that you could have used. I also don’t have a Devialet and I don’t have experience of measuring an integrated main + subwoofer. Phantoms are so much easier to measure in that respect. Big Grin

It’s worth bearing in mind that EQ adjustments, at low frequencies, are, mostly, broad brush and as such you should not have to be too concerned about the minutiae of the measurements. I also recall that Thierry is amenable, within reason, to tweaking his supplied EQ to get the sound you like.

Best of luck.
@alandbush

Appreciate all your help, and understand that each set-up is different so not so simple to know what is the correct way for each. I'll give it a try and send the measurements to Thierry and see what he thinks - if good great, if not then no big lose as you say the lower frequencies don't need so much pinpoint accuracy.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
John
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Hi all,

My service got its first review. It was done by Christiaan Punter from Hifi Advice :  http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/audio-software-reviews/home-audio-fidelity-loudspeakers-room-digital-correction-services/

His conclusion is the icing on the cake  Smile  "So, clearly wholeheartedly recommended!"

Thierry
(12-Oct-2018, 10:05)homeaudiofidelity Wrote: Hi all,

My service got its first review. It was done by Christiaan Punter from Hifi Advice :  http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/audio-software-reviews/home-audio-fidelity-loudspeakers-room-digital-correction-services/

His conclusion is the icing on the cake  Smile  "So, clearly wholeheartedly recommended!"

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
The link doesn’t appear to work, can you check it, please?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Try this link: http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/d...-services/

There's a few extra characters at the start of Thierry's link which are causing the problem. I just edited them out and tried the link starting from the "www." section and it worked.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks for the link correction !
Am I the only one who finds the hifi advice article a little difficult to follow?  It runs through comparisons of the "Baseline" and "Crosstalk Reduction filters" that HAF supply, OK, this is clear.  It also refers to "Loudspeaker Correction" filters.  What are these exactly versus the "Baseline" and "Crosstalk Reduction filters"?  The article speaks highly of the "Baseline Filter" and "Crosstalk Reduction filter", then is a little critical of the "Room + Loudspeaker Correction Filter"  Maybe I'm being a bit thick and missing something here? Huh
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi all,

I have been recently expanding the range of my services by developing 2 audio plugins : one is a new type of Room correction to address the long and uneven resonances (Room Shaper) and the other is dedicated to headphones listening improvement (Soundstage Shaper)

I just published a video to demonstrate the effect of Room Shaper

More info are available on my website : Home Audio Fidelity Plugins

Thierry