Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson-Benesch
One more thing. The ability to hear the hall size - mainly from the reflections off the walls from recordings that allow this - was quite amazing.

This review by Roy Gregory is consistent with what I have heard (and I found/read it only after I heard the Endeavour) - http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/wi...eavour.htm
(18-Aug-2017, 13:24)GuillaumeB Wrote: So I am now thinking about revisiting Wilson-Benesch and have sent them an email asking what the possibility would be of home auditioning their A.C.T. One Evolution speakers.

To be continued I guess...  Smile

Guillaume

Fwiw, my dealer (who has had the WB line since the ACT days) does not really rank the ACT One Evolution - anecdotally, most who have compared it with the Discovery II prefer the latter. Could be a matter of preference - who knows?

I have heard the Discovery II. It offers big chunk of the performance of the Endeavour for about 2/3 the price. But the Endeavour offers a bigger and more refined sound, which it should, given the price gap.

Perhaps you might want to home trial both the ACT One Evolution and the Endeavour?
(19-Aug-2017, 03:58)nicoludio Wrote:
(18-Aug-2017, 13:24)GuillaumeB Wrote: So I am now thinking about revisiting Wilson-Benesch and have sent them an email asking what the possibility would be of home auditioning their A.C.T. One Evolution speakers.

To be continued I guess...  Smile

Guillaume

Fwiw, my dealer (who has had the WB line since the ACT days) does not really rank the ACT One Evolution - anecdotally, most who have compared it with the Discovery II prefer the latter.  Could be a matter of preference - who knows?

I have heard the Discovery II. It offers big chunk of the performance of the Endeavour for about 2/3 the price.  But the Endeavour offers a bigger and more refined sound, which it should, given the price gap.

Perhaps you might want to home trial both the ACT One Evolution and the Endeavour?

Hi Nicoludio,

Where are you based, to have a W-B dealer - just curious, as they are as rare as rocking horse teeth here in the UK Confused

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Hi David

South-East Asia. WB with Gryphon or CH Precision is quite the combination here.

I was surprised at the paucity of dealers in the UK. Then again, historically, I understand that WB has had a better following in, say, Japan, Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Nicholas
(19-Aug-2017, 09:38)nicoludio Wrote: Hi David

I was surprised at the paucity of dealers in the UK. Then again, historically, I understand that WB has had a better following in, say, Japan, Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, 

Yes, I think that you are right about W-B, and its following in your part of the World. I remember discussing this with Luke Milnes (the son of W-B owners), when he came to my house for the demo, and he was very open about that fact. I did berate him a bit about why a UK company was not better represented in its own home market, but he did say that that W-B themselves were happy to provide this service!

I was interested in your comment about the ACT1 Endeavour and Discovery 2 (and your review of the Endeavour)- I have not heard either of those speakers so could not comment, but I know that I am more than happy with my pair of ACTs Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I had a very interesting day with David (brit) when he auditioned the C60 and Vectors. I first listened to his system with his ACT 1's and very good it sounded too. My thinking was his quite excellent room contributed a great deal to this.
When Luke Milnes from WB arrived and set up the C60's I was quietly dissapointed with the sound. The speakers had been in the back of a vehicle for at least half a day on a cold day and as a consequence the cone surrounds were stiff, that was my diagnosis anyway. As time passed the C60's did improve but not to the level I enjoy at home and my listening room is not a patch on Davids. I am really pleased David has managed to get an improvement on an already fine system, re-enforced by Le' boss.
I would just like to comment that my C 60's bass was very poor when I was using Naim nac 552/nap 300/NDS and I found the need to use a Velodyne DD12 bass cab. The Dev 1000 and particularly SAM has made the Velodyne redundant and I now get the most from my speakers.
Cheers,
Bill
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(19-Aug-2017, 10:51)wwm Wrote: I had a very interesting day with David (brit) when he auditioned the C60 and Vectors. I first listened to his system with his ACT 1's and very good it sounded too. My thinking was his quite excellent room contributed a great deal to this.
When Luke Milnes from WB arrived and set up the C60's I was quietly dissapointed with the sound. The speakers had been in the back of a vehicle for at least half a day on a cold day and as a consequence the cone surrounds were stiff, that was my diagnosis anyway. As time passed the C60's did improve but not to the level I enjoy at home and my listening room is not a patch on Davids. I am really pleased David has managed to get an improvement on an already fine system, re-enforced by Le' boss.
I would just like to comment that my C 60's bass was very poor when I was using Naim nac 552/nap 300/NDS and I found the need to use a Velodyne DD12 bass cab. The Dev 1000 and particularly SAM has made the Velodyne redundant and I now get the most from my speakers.
Cheers,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you - must drop you another e-mail to catch up on things. You know that you more than welcome to drop in again when in the area - Angela sends her regards. Always great to talk about music, things Devialet, and W-B speakers  Smile

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
(19-Aug-2017, 10:08)brit Wrote:

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, 

Yes, I think that you are right about W-B, and its following in your part of the World. I remember discussing this with Luke Milnes (the son of W-B owners), when he came to my house for the demo, and he was very open about that fact. I did berate him a bit about why a UK company was not better represented in its own home market, but he did say that that W-B themselves were happy to provide this service!

I was interested in your comment about the ACT1 Endeavour and Discovery 2 (and your review of the Endeavour)- I have not heard either of those speakers so could not comment, but I know that I am more than happy with my pair of ACTs Smile.

David

Hi David

Luke's a good chap. I really enjoyed my "chats" with him. Informative and quite candid.

Over here, apparently an existing ACT (not sure if it was one of the later models) owner wanted to upgrade to the ACT One Evolution. Having heard it, he felt that the improvement offered was not sufficient to justify the change.

Then again, both the Endeavour and the Discovery II utilise isobaric bass drivers and with all drivers in close proximity - pulsing sphere of sound - and are bookshelves (in the loose sense of the word). That could explain the difference - Luke has suggested that bookshelves and floorstanders have a different sound.

The ACT One Evolution is still in the shop. Most buyers go for the Discovery II.

Having said that, they have unpacked the Cardinal from storage Hope to hear them one day. But the financial, space and amplification requirements (one owner runs them with Gryphon Mephisto monos) are daunting !!!

Nicholas
(19-Aug-2017, 14:26)nicoludio Wrote:
(19-Aug-2017, 10:08)brit Wrote:

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, 

David

Hi David

Luke's a good chap. I really enjoyed my "chats" with him. Informative and quite candid.

Over here, apparently an existing ACT (not sure if it was one of the later models) owner wanted to upgrade to the ACT One Evolution. Having heard it, he felt that the improvement offered was not sufficient to justify the change.

Then again, both the Endeavour and the Discovery II utilise isobaric bass drivers and with all drivers in close proximity - pulsing sphere of sound - and are bookshelves (in the loose sense of the word).  That could explain the difference - Luke has suggested that bookshelves and floorstanders have a different sound.  

The ACT One Evolution is still in the shop. Most buyers go for the Discovery II.

Having said that, they have unpacked the Cardinal from storage Hope to hear them one day.  But the financial, space and amplification requirements (one owner runs them with Gryphon Mephisto monos) are daunting !!!

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

That is an interesting point you make about an existing ACT customer not thinking that difference between the ACT and ACT one evolution did not justify change - makes me feel better! Yes I also agree that Luke is a good bloke - he was very patient with me, and returned again to our house with the Vectors because I was so undecided, but I did finally choose to stay with my then ACT1 before finding the newer ACT, which was a definite upgrade, having the later tactic drivers and improved tweeter. 

I did hear the Cardinals a few years ago, they were very very good, but physically imposing - far too large for my listening area (the lounge) and way out of my price range Confused.

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
(19-Aug-2017, 03:58)nicoludio Wrote: Fwiw, my dealer (who has had the WB line since the ACT days) does not really rank the ACT One Evolution - anecdotally, most who have compared it with the Discovery II prefer the latter. Could be a matter of preference - who knows?

Do you know what are the main differences between ACT One Evolution and Discovery II? I wonder why most prefer the Discovery II, what makes it better?

I have really enjoyed from Odyssey Discovery and I'm pondering should I upgrade it to the ACT One Evolution or Discovery II. My dealer is suggesting me to buy the ACT One Evolution.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland