Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson-Benesch
(21-Aug-2017, 06:40)petrik Wrote:
(19-Aug-2017, 03:58)nicoludio Wrote: Fwiw, my dealer (who has had the WB line since the ACT days) does not really rank the ACT One Evolution - anecdotally, most who have compared it with the Discovery II prefer the latter.  Could be a matter of preference - who knows?

Do you know what are the main differences between ACT One Evolution and Discovery II? I wonder why most prefer the Discovery II, what makes it better?

I have really enjoyed from Odyssey Discovery and I'm pondering should I upgrade it to the ACT One Evolution or Discovery II. My dealer is suggesting me to buy the ACT One Evolution
Hi Petrik,

I suppose that the only sensible answer to this is see if your dealer can organise a comparative demonstration between the two - if they have both that is  Smile.

The Wilson-Benesch website -  http://wilson-benesch.com/products/geometry-series.html - will give you the physical and " on paper" specification difference between the two (I say on paper specification, because, as I have found with my ACT, the paper spec sometimes can be misleading once the speaker is properly placed in its listening environment!). From experience, you know the Discovery sound, so really the only way to answer your question is to try them, "side by side", for yourself - preferably in your own listening room - and any reasonable dealer should be prepared to organise this. Good luck and happy listening.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Thanks David. I certainly would love to hear both speakers in my own listening room! Smile It might be just difficult to organize since my dealer only has the Act One Evolution currently.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(21-Aug-2017, 10:00)petrik Wrote: Thanks David. I certainly would love to hear both speakers in my own listening room! Smile It might be just difficult to organize since my dealer only has the Act One Evolution currently.

Hi Petrik, 

If your dealer only has the Act One Evolution at present, it might be possible to organise a home demo of this against your existing Discovery, that should at least give you some indication of the SQ difference, if any. After all, he is pushing the Evolution over the Discovery let him prove it  Big Grin. Appreciate that this will not show difference between Discovery and Discovery 2, but it would be a start  Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(21-Aug-2017, 06:40)petrik Wrote: Do you know what are the main differences between ACT One Evolution and Discovery II? I wonder why most prefer the Discovery II, what makes it better?

I have really enjoyed from Odyssey Discovery and I'm pondering should I upgrade it to the ACT One Evolution or Discovery II. My dealer is suggesting me to buy the ACT One Evolution.

Discovery II - nominally a bookshelf & isobaric bass

ACT One Evolution - floorstander, no isobaric bass but utilises the "Troika" system

My understanding (have not asked to hear the ACT Evo) is that the ACT Evo has a different voicing compared to the Discovery II, Endeavour and Cardinal (where the higher models offer better sound but along the same vein).

The ACT One was re-voiced after its introduction due to feedback from the Asian market. Apparently, the European market was happy enough with the original voicing but were fine with the re-voiced version too - mainly a change in the tonal balance.

As brit/David has suggested, a home trial would be best. If you like the Discovery sound, then the Discovery II would be an improvement but along the same lines. If you prefer the ACT One to the Discovery, the likelihood is that you would prefer the former to the Discovery II.

YMMV and its all down to the system, room and musical tastes.
Wise words - thank you Nicholas and David. I think you are right that I need to have a home demo.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
Both A.C.T. One Evolution and Discovery II will be here in an hour!  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(01-Sep-2017, 07:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: Both A.C.T. One Evolution and Discovery II will be here in an hour!  Smile

Guillaume

Looking forward to your review. They look stunning, especially in the carbon fibre red.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(01-Sep-2017, 07:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: Both A.C.T. One Evolution and Discovery II will be here in an hour!  Smile

Guillaume

Wow, this is great news. Please let us know how they sound like.

Maybe you could even share a picture after setting them up? Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
Happy listening!
Can't wait to hear the results.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Pics:

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK