Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has the Roon support killed all opposition?
Well at least I haven't lost my interest at all! Smile

I am just having a feeling that the streamer board will not bring any useful features for me, so therefore I haven't been too excited about it. If it supports Roon RAAT and HQPlayer NAA then it's great but I haven't seen any promises regarding those. Personally, I would be more interested in some other new features than the streaming related ones. On the other hand, I totally understand that they want to concentrate now on adding streaming features to the Expert Pro to keep it competitive.

The Roon-AIR is working quite well but it's not working perfectly yet. There are crackles, dropouts, stutters etc. happening on daily basis and I have reported those issues mainly to Devialet customer service.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(22-Aug-2017, 12:47)ssfas Wrote: Of no benefit to Qobuz subscribers

Unfortunately not yet, though I have been banging on to them about this for a while now - Qobuz not Roon.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
(22-Aug-2017, 10:30)bernardl Wrote: Is it just an impression, or has the support of Devialet Air by Roon pretty much killed all the negativity I was feeling in this forum?

It has been very quiet since then. Wink

I assume that most posters are now enjoying great music through the Roon iPad client. So am I!

Cheers,
Bernard

For many they have removed Devialet from the AIR equation - at least in the important sense of it not being flakey with bugs and issues handled in silence (or more likely ignored) behind the concrete wall of Devialet secrecy.

Sadly though I find myself not using it, because I need to group my hifi with the kitchen most of the time. But that said I'm perfectly happy with the Allo digiOne for the time being - and that's also partly thanks to Roon. To be perfectly honest I could barely tell them apart to be close enough to call them equal. Hopefully the streamerboard will allow me to get rid of the Allo in a couple of months.

I think the negativity will return if Devialet make a bodged delivery of the streamerboard - i.e. deliver it late or it doesn't sound/function better than what it replaces. But innocent until proven guilty. Just about anyway.....

(23-Aug-2017, 10:20)petrik Wrote: I am just having a feeling that the streamer board will not bring any useful features for me, so therefore I haven't been too excited about it. If it supports Roon RAAT and HQPlayer NAA then it's great but I haven't seen any promises regarding those.

Well, on the Roon forum an engineer from Devialet did - to all intents and purposes - imply it would be RoonReady at least.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Aug-2017, 22:24)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Aug-2017, 10:20)petrik Wrote: I am just having a feeling that the streamer board will not bring any useful features for me, so therefore I haven't been too excited about it. If it supports Roon RAAT and HQPlayer NAA then it's great but I haven't seen any promises regarding those.

Well, on the Roon forum an engineer from Devialet did - to all intents and purposes - imply it would be RoonReady at least.

Oh, I had completely missed that! The streamer board definitely starts to sound more exciting now Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
(24-Aug-2017, 05:42)petrik Wrote:
(23-Aug-2017, 22:24)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Oh, I had completely missed that! The streamer board definitely starts to sound more exciting now Smile
It means what? You can put the computer away and control it just with a tablet?
I´m a bit lost...
(24-Aug-2017, 11:48)BoyScout Wrote:
(24-Aug-2017, 05:42)petrik Wrote:
(23-Aug-2017, 22:24)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Well, on the Roon forum an engineer from Devialet did - to all intents and purposes - imply it would be RoonReady at least.

It means what? You can put the computer away and control it just with a tablet?
I´m a bit lost...

Unfortunately that's not the case.

To me it (probably) brings less problems in streaming since there is no longer need to use the AIR/RoonAIR. I would be perfectly happy if I wouldn't have those annoying crackles/dropouts anymore.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
Thanks, petrik,

I´m searching for the proper setup to put the laptop away and keep the system simple.
I don´t know yet what to do but i´ll do it after the promise streamer board.
A lot of the credit must go to Roon. I just got the latest update and it has extensive DSP modeling for Audeze headphones. Roon clearly works hard to maximize the potential in its partners products.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Is there any benefit to using AIR+Roon instead of just setting up a cheap Roon Bridge using a Raspberry Pi (<$100) and plugging it into the SDPIF of the Devialet, thereby getting full native RAAT support?
Probably depends on the quality of the pi digital hat, AIR is very high quality, even those people who are using other solutions (Mutec, etc.) have had to go much further than a pi to better it. The allo digi one seems to be the best pi solution and I've read that it is pretty close to AIR.

AIR is free though as long as you can get an Ethernet cable there, the only downside is zone grouping I believe which doesn't work with AIR.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii