Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 5.5 / 7.7 Immersive Theatre System
Currently I'am using Jriver mediacenter as a downmixer for movies. Which will downmix Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA and sends it as 24bit to the Phantom's.

Also, another benefit is that it allows you to send LFE channel to the Phantom, which really enhances the movie experience.
Devialet Phantom Gold Stereo
(31-Jan-2018, 16:05)f1eng Wrote:
(29-Aug-2017, 14:17)mixart Wrote: It is an expensive setup for only two channels. I dont care for surround, but maybe a center with treepod could be cool. If only Devialet would release a Dialog with dolby/dts support, I would be full satisfied, because then I could get 2 channels 24bit for bluray movies.

I am a bit puzzled. You will still only have 2 channels and if you set up a Dolby decoder for only 2 channels afaik it just mixes to stereo, which you already have, so the only difference would be 24-bit rather than 16-bit which won't make any audible difference at all on most movies since the dynamic range is already completely covered by 16 bits..

My old Hifi was a stereo floor standing speaker parring with Thule preamp and 5.1 amplifier (5x120w or 2x350w in stereo). The preamp support both stereo and pcm, dts and dolby. When I switch between dts to dts-hd master on my old PS3 I could hear a big different in clarity and more power with bluray movies. With Phantom's I can't hear a different.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
(31-Jan-2018, 18:20)Cyral Wrote: Currently I'am using Jriver mediacenter as a downmixer for movies. Which will downmix Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA and sends it as 24bit to the Phantom's.

Also, another benefit is that it allows you to send LFE channel to the Phantom, which really enhances the movie experience.

Interesting. Does it work with an Apple TV 4K and a nas server where all native bluray are on? I'm considering this solution and selling all my bluray movies.
(07-Feb-2018, 12:34)mixart Wrote:
(31-Jan-2018, 18:20)Cyral Wrote: Currently I'am using Jriver mediacenter as a downmixer for movies. Which will downmix Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA and sends it as 24bit to the Phantom's.

Interesting. Does it work with an Apple TV 4K and a nas server where all native bluray are on? I'm considering this solution and selling all my bluray movies.

Don't think it's possible to use Jriver with an Apple TV 4K. However, I did read that you could use Jriver with airplay from a different ios device to the Apple 4K tv, but think that's a compromise in sound quality. 

I use Jriver with a htpc and the results are great. A lot better than using a regular blu ray player.
(08-Feb-2018, 12:28)Cyral Wrote: Don't think it's possible to use Jriver with an Apple TV 4K. However, I did read that you could use Jriver with airplay from a different ios device to the Apple 4K tv, but think that's a compromise in sound quality. 

I use Jriver with a htpc and the results are great. A lot better than using a regular blu ray player.

Nice. How do you connect HTPC with the Phantoms?
(08-Feb-2018, 14:26)mixart Wrote:
(08-Feb-2018, 12:28)Cyral Wrote: Don't think it's possible to use Jriver with an Apple TV 4K. However, I did read that you could use Jriver with airplay from a different ios device to the Apple 4K tv, but think that's a compromise in sound quality. 

Nice. How do you connect HTPC with the Phantoms?
With an optical cable from the HTPC to one of the Phantoms.
I am using four Phantom Gold.
4 phantoms gold / OPPO 205 /
AD converter (about 12 us dollor) * 2
The specification is 24bit 96khz but there is no way to check.
Is there any way to check the phantom input signal?

I actually heard the 7.1 system at Phantom stores and it was a very good experience.
My installation environment can not be installed 7.1.
The center speaker is also uncomfortable to install.
I saw the equipment in the store, but the lines are too complicated.
I think one of the advantages of Phantom is cleanliness without lines.

Connection diagram
oppo 205 - front sterreo analog - AD convertor - front left phantom optical input
oppo 205 - rear sterreo analog - AD converter - dialog optical input
* I did not want any connection to the rear speakers except the power supply, so all the wires were solved from the front.

oppo 205 settings
5.1 Downmix
front and rear spraker: large
center: none woofer: none

spark setting
front - livigroom - optical from left phantom
rear - kitchen - optical from dialog

All formats such as DTS HD or DOLBY ATMOS are fully functional.

So far I've seen about 10 movies and it was a good experience.
However, in 6-7 movies, jitter noise occurred about 3-4 times during movie watching.
It is not uncomfortable to watch movies.
But I do not think this is an AD converter problem.
In the past, two phantom problems occurred during use with optical input without AD converter.

The sound that is played in the spark than the optical input is cleaner and better.
So I would like to have a dialog that supports 5.1 ... I do not think it will be done anytime soon.

To install the center speaker
Add another AD converter.
I’am thinking about adding a third phantom as a center. As I do sometimes miss having a center like I had previously, with my HT setup.

Anyone has experience with it? Is it enjoyable? As it seems the voices still will be send to the L and R speakers. Also, for music you will lose the imaging I guess.

Would love to get some feedback.
(09-Mar-2018, 14:04)Cyral Wrote: I’am thinking about adding a third phantom as a center. As I do sometimes miss having a center like I had previously, with my HT setup.

Anyone has experience with it? Is it enjoyable? As it seems the voices still will be send to the L and R speakers. Also, for music you will lose the imaging I guess.

Would love to get some feedback.

I do not see how you want to add your center to the left and right Phantoms. When you intend to add it as mix in a room with a stereo setup it won‘t please you as it will carry the same signal as your left and right speaker as mix and therfore will compress your sound stage towards the center (mono setup), very different than what a center speaker does in a multichannel system. My experience is that you better expand your sound by placing your third Phantom in the back of your stereo setup in a triangle. Like this the stereo image stays the same and will be expanded in the third dimension into your room space.
Ye, that’s what I thought unfortunately.

I just want to add more phantoms haha, but if the signal stays 2.0, it doesnt make much sense for movies. Or there has to be a way where you send separate audio channels to different phantoms..