Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 5.5 / 7.7 Immersive Theatre System
Could it be something like this? >> http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=886

I was told to start with an AV Receiver to gather the (HDMI) inputs (from BD, game, whatever), and output that analog channels to Xilica (for Dante) and that gets routed to the Dante=>Toslink (like the device above) and into each separate Phantoms

Just out of imagination, perhaps there is potential for Phantoms to support Dante with firmware update? That would be the way to go with the HDMI enabled Dialog.

Now how does the DSP apps, EQ, and bass management work? I remember they said the bass is somehow processed and distributed to each phantom in the DSPs.

I really want to learn! Very intrigued by all this tech (new to me..)
(28-Aug-2017, 17:09)cbleehk Wrote: Now how does the DSP apps, EQ, and bass management work?  I remember they said the bass is somehow processed and distributed to each phantom in the DSPs.

I really want to learn!  Very intrigued by all this tech (new to me..)

Xilica allow the download of software.

Try Downloads page, select the UNO series and then the U0808 section containing the
Home Theater - matrixed software. This software enables the audio signal routing, EQ, cross overs etc.
(29-Aug-2017, 00:04)alandbush Wrote:
(28-Aug-2017, 17:09)cbleehk Wrote: Now how does the DSP apps, EQ, and bass management work?  I remember they said the bass is somehow processed and distributed to each phantom in the DSPs.

I really want to learn!  Very intrigued by all this tech (new to me..)

Xilica allow the download of software.

Try Downloads page, select the UNO series and then the U0808 section containing the
Home Theater - matrixed software. This software enables the audio signal routing, EQ, cross overs etc.

Hi Alandbush,

I am curious as to the specifics of your setup. Do you have a schematic visualizing how your components are connected? I have always contemplated using my Oppo as a pre-amp for HT purposes so I have the feeling your approach may be a viable option for me. (although the Vanity board is not available for the the 205)

BB
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
So let me get this straight. Right now I use my two Phantom Golds for both music and bluray movies. But I'm only connecting them with optical to my bluray player, so I dont get DTS-HD Master/Dolby HD/PCM 24bit sound, but only 16bit. My old traditionel stereo with Thule PR350BV preamp both support good stereo og dolby/dts, and the sound was day and night for bluray movies, when I switch from DTS/Dolby to DTS-HD Master/Dolby HD in stereo.

If I get an Oppo bluyray and Xilica Uno connection for Phantom Gold, I will get high-definition 24bit in stereo for bluray movies?

It is an expensive setup for only two channels. I dont care for surround, but maybe a center with treepod could be cool. If only Devialet would release a Dialog with dolby/dts support, I would be full satisfied, because then I could get 2 channels 24bit for bluray movies.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
5.5 or 7.7 is so far from what 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 can do as immersive home theaters.
1st of all Devialet should follow Dolby or DTS guidelines on how to bring the user a great immersive XP
(29-Aug-2017, 14:17)mixart Wrote: If I get an Oppo bluyray and Xilica Uno connection for Phantom Gold, I will get high-definition 24bit in stereo for bluray movies?

I presume that your blu ray player down mixes multi channel to stereo.
The Uno has no comparable down mix capability, so the answer is no.
(29-Aug-2017, 10:37)baconbrain Wrote: Hi Alandbush,

I am curious as to the specifics of your setup. Do you have a schematic visualizing how your components are connected? I have always contemplated using my Oppo as a pre-amp for HT purposes so I have the feeling your approach may be a viable option for me. (although the Vanity board is not available for the the 205)

BB

I have no visual schematic but perhaps the following may help.

Sky box --> HDMI --> Oppo BDP

Oppo BDP --> 3x RCA coax SPDIF digital --> 3x miniDSP OpenDRC-DI
Each digital output is two channel, one for L/R, one for centre/sub and one for back L/R.
nb - Oppo configured as 5.0 (no sub), all speakers large, i.e. Any LFE is routed to all channels

miniDSP OpenDRC-DI --> optical SPDIF digital --> optical splitter --> 2x optical digital --> 2x Phantoms
Each Phantom receives two channel audio but are configured, within Spark, as either left or right speaker each within a separate room, I.e. They output only one channel.
Centre channel Phantom does not require optical splitter and is configured as mix within Spark.

I set it up this way to prevent audio being routed via IP from Phantom to Dialog to other Phantom.

You could forego the optical splitters, connect to one of the L/R Phantoms and configure them as a stereo pair within a separate room.

With hindsight, I should also have considered this Octava mod that would have allowed the use of upto 4x HDMI devices.
(29-Aug-2017, 20:48)alandbush Wrote: I have no visual schematic but perhaps the following may help.

Sky box --> HDMI --> Oppo BDP

Oppo BDP --> 3x RCA coax SPDIF digital --> 3x miniDSP OpenDRC-DI
Each digital output is two channel, one for L/R, one for centre/sub and one for back L/R.
nb - Oppo configured as 5.0 (no sub), all speakers large, i.e. Any LFE is routed to all channels

miniDSP OpenDRC-DI --> optical SPDIF digital --> optical splitter --> 2x optical digital --> 2x Phantoms
Each Phantom receives two channel audio but are configured, within Spark, as either left or right speaker each within a separate room, I.e. They output only one channel.
Centre channel Phantom does not require optical splitter and is configured as mix within Spark.

I set it up this way to prevent audio being routed via IP from Phantom to Dialog to other Phantom.

You could forego the optical splitters, connect to one of the L/R Phantoms and configure them as a stereo pair within a separate room.

With hindsight, I should also have considered this Octava mod that would have allowed the use of upto 4x HDMI devices.

Thanks, that helps.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Just wondering has anyone seen any updates or information on the new Dante solution with multiple Phantoms?

A bit of background, I have seen the current solution with the Digital to Analog to Digital etc  and many cables and conversions and don't really like it and it doesn't deal with latency.

At a hifi show in Melbourne late last year I saw a demo of a 5.5 system using the new Dante adaptors (basically an ethernet to optical adaptor). They were using a white box processor that he said was not able to reveal the details. The Devialet rep took my details down and said he would send me an email. I don't expect a response soon and support have not responded as yet so just wondering if anyone knows any more.
(29-Aug-2017, 14:17)mixart Wrote: It is an expensive setup for only two channels. I dont care for surround, but maybe a center with treepod could be cool. If only Devialet would release a Dialog with dolby/dts support, I would be full satisfied, because then I could get 2 channels 24bit for bluray movies.

I am a bit puzzled. You will still only have 2 channels and if you set up a Dolby decoder for only 2 channels afaik it just mixes to stereo, which you already have, so the only difference would be 24-bit rather than 16-bit which won't make any audible difference at all on most movies since the dynamic range is already completely covered by 16 bits..
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire