Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonus faber Olympica ll
(11-Sep-2017, 18:31)iamwappie Wrote: I feel for you. Speaker positioning is an art and sometimes a trial on error art but for sure it takes a lot of time. When you finished positioning, a lot of time goes (or should go) into acoustic treatment. It's like buying a Ferrari and drive it in town but the real excitement is when driving it at a circuit. This is what acoustic treatment can do. If your lucky you may get away with furniture and carpets. If thats not the case there is always the not so 'make friends with your wife' stuff but boy does it make a difference.
Thanks for the feeling.
Starting almost from the beginning. Maybe it´ll be a good surprise, we never know.
(11-Sep-2017, 17:11)BoyScout Wrote:
(09-Sep-2017, 23:34)Axel Wrote:
(09-Sep-2017, 01:27)Axel Wrote: Interesting theory. Thanks. 
The way that my system is laid out, I haven't actually got any corners to put pillows into, strange as that may sound. I've got some Herbie's Spike Decoupling Gliders on their way to me, so I'll see if they make any difference.
I'll let you know when I get them.

I have bass traps too, there´s no other way.
I had a pair of Olll a couple of months ago, this room has brick floor but now i´m moving to a house with wooden floors, room completely different and i´m a bit curious/affraid about the sound there.
I´m alert to your opinion about the spikes, even considering i have stand mount speakers.

When you say wooden floor, do you mean a suspended floor with joists underneath floorboards or wooden laminate over concrete? If the latter, you should have no problems as long as you put a rug or something between you and the speakers.

It´ll be wooden floating floor, in a near future, i have NOT great expectations about the result.
I think i´ve a lot of trouble in front of me to solve after a "marvelous" period of moving ALL the house from this place to another.
The system´s environment will be completely different. Years and years of sound tunning thrown away.
My speakers arrived just two months ago, after almost a year trying different ones. Can you believe it?
Now a different room...

Seems like a daunting task, doesn't it? I'm sure it'll work out fine, you might be pleasantly surprised!
BTW, could you set up a signature so thar we can see the gear you're using, please?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(11-Sep-2017, 18:31)iamwappie Wrote: I feel for you. Speaker positioning is an art and sometimes a trial on error art but for sure it takes a lot of time. When you finished positioning, a lot of time goes (or should go) into acoustic treatment. It's like buying a Ferrari and drive it in town but the real excitement is when driving it at a circuit. This is what acoustic treatment can do. If your lucky you may get away with furniture and carpets. If thats not the case there is always the not so 'make friends with your wife' stuff but boy does it make a difference.

+1

I am bang-on with you. Very recently, in my simple humble system, I installed a pair of powercords for the Devs, 1 AQ ethernet cable for streaming & 1 AQ Dev-to-Dev link cable. The changes these 4 cables brought about forced me to start the speaker repositioning thingee all over again .. been at it just about a week and the results are astonishingly better than what it was earlier. 

The problem is that it does take a long time to get it right .. could be weeks or even a few months ... hence patience !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(12-Sep-2017, 01:20)Axel Wrote: Seems like a daunting task, doesn't it? I'm sure it'll work out fine, you might be pleasantly surprised!
BTW, could you set up a signature so thar we can see the gear you're using, please?

Just a 220 Pro feeding a pair of SF Guarneri Tradition and, for now, a macbook pro with Roon.
When Trevor from Guildford audio set up my Olys, he put them with the bass port slot facing inwards. I know this will be room/listener dependant, but how do you other guys use yours?
 In the next couple of days, I'm going to make a jig to fit onto the top of a speaker so that I can attach a laser to line them up exactly. Some reviews I've read have said to have the speakers set to cross just in front of the listener's head. Again, how do you other guys have them? Does anyone use them With minimal toe-in, i.e. five to ten degrees? I intend to try both, but thought I'd ask. Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Got some Herbie's under my Ollys now and the booming that I was experiencing has now gone. I can play certain tracks that I know would start them off, but no vibration through the floor, which is no mean feat as they're quite small. 

South Coast England
I found that I didn’t need to make a jig for my laser speaker alignment.
The two sight adjusters on the scope formed a tripod and the metalwork around the leather on top of the speakers provided a groove for the front feet to sit in.  A pile of coins provided vertical adjustment.

After aiming the speakers, I used the Theodolite app to check for plumb, level and rake angle.
Initially I had the speaker line crossing about five inches in front of my nose. I noted that the soundstage was much smaller, with not much going on beyond the sides of the speakers and bass was 
a touch uneven, with some notes sounding louder than others.
I didn’t like it, so changed angles until the speakers were aimed at each of my shoulders.  This gave the best sound, with a large soundstage and good placement of instruments. I’m probably going to widen the angle bit by bit to see if I can hear any differences. 
Having the Herbie’s gliders under the spikes makes an easy job of  moving the speakers. No more “walking” them into position, just grab the front set of spikes and gently slide them round!
South Coast England