Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonus faber Olympica ll
(30-Aug-2017, 03:32)Axel Wrote: Thank you all for your birthday wishes and kind comments on my room/setup.  Smile
The Olympicas are starting to open out and really sing, althoughI think there's still some way to go before they are fully broken in. I've ordered some Herbie's cone/spike decoupling gliders to isolate the speakers from the suspended wooden floor. With my old speakers which were spiked directly to the floorboards through the carpet, I could feel the floor vibrating when playing bass heavy tracks at high volume I felt that I needed to fix that, and hopefully the Herbie's should eliminate it. I'll post my impressions when I get them set up.

I would 100% recommend you get a pair of isoscoustics Gaia feet on demo. Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(30-Aug-2017, 07:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(30-Aug-2017, 03:32)Axel Wrote: Thank you all for your birthday wishes and kind comments on my room/setup.  Smile
The Olympicas are starting to open out and really sing, althoughI think there's still some way to go before they are fully broken in. I've ordered some Herbie's cone/spike decoupling gliders to isolate the speakers from the suspended wooden floor. With my old speakers which were spiked directly to the floorboards through the carpet, I could feel the floor vibrating when playing bass heavy tracks at high volume I felt that I needed to fix that, and hopefully the Herbie's should eliminate it. I'll post my impressions when I get them set up.

I thought the same. The problem is that the spikes on the back of the SFs are much shorter than the front ones, leaning the speakers back for time alignment. If I used Gaias, the speakers would be level and it would look pretty horrible too IMHO.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(30-Aug-2017, 20:14)Axel Wrote:

I thought the same. The problem is that the spikes on the back of the SFs are much shorter than the front ones, leaning the speakers back for time alignment. If I used Gaias, the speakers would be level and it would look pretty horrible too IMHO.

I have used two slates of polished granite between the SO's and the wooden floor. The granite, one of the hardest affordable sorts of stone, decouple the SO's enough from the wooden floor. at least, enough in my case, and it looks good!
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
Here SAM is ON at 10%.
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
The sound for me if definitely more open with SAM off
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(31-Aug-2017, 11:03)Bartype Wrote:
(30-Aug-2017, 07:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I would 100% recommend you get a pair of isoscoustics Gaia feet on demo. Smile

I have used two slates of polished granite between the SO's and the wooden floor. The granite, one of the hardest affordable sorts of stone, decouple the SO's enough from the wooden floor. at least, enough in my case, and it looks good!

Sounds good! Any chance of a picture or two?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks, KraaijCheck and iamwappie. I'll wait until the speakers are fully run in and then do some experimentation with SAM. With my last speakers, I preferred the sound with SAM off.
South Coast England
(07-Sep-2017, 02:39)Axel Wrote:
(31-Aug-2017, 11:03)Bartype Wrote:
(30-Aug-2017, 20:14)Axel Wrote: I thought the same. The problem is that the spikes on the back of the SFs are much shorter than the front ones, leaning the speakers back for time alignment. If I used Gaias, the speakers would be level and it would look pretty horrible too IMHO.

Sounds good! Any chance of a picture or two?

Sure, here is one:

https://i.imgur.com/vz61fjf.jpg
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components

Levelling-wise, I guess it depends how much difference - the Gaia's have a reasonable amount of thread and can be adjusted so you could have the front ones taller. Whether to the same extent or not you'd have to try.

FWIW I'd previously tried some reasonably big granite slabs, and found they did little to improve the situation. Personally I thought they were a different kind of ugly to the Gaia's (the demo pair of which I'm learning to like), since they drew attention to the base of the speakers where previously they just sat on the floor. I also found them a bit of a pig as when you wanted to move speakers for placement experimentation, it was much harder with granite slabs to move around too - unless you're happy to have them not placed neatly and evenly under the speakers. Beyond that they did very little to the sound - much less than just chaining from spikes to rubber feet, and way less than what the Gaia's bring. In my setup anyway. Thats just reminded me I must sell those slabs!

But if you don't like the look of the Gaia's its a non starter. (But Id still try them just so you know where you want to get to with another solution! Wink )

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(07-Sep-2017, 13:28)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(30-Aug-2017, 07:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I would 100% recommend you get a pair of isoscoustics Gaia feet on demo. Smile

Levelling-wise, I guess it depends how much difference - the Gaia's have a reasonable amount of thread and can be adjusted so you could have the front ones taller.  Whether to the same extent or not you'd have to try.

FWIW I'd previously tried some reasonably big granite slabs, and found they did little to improve the situation.  Personally I thought they were a different kind of ugly to the Gaia's (the demo pair of which I'm learning to like), since they drew attention to the base of the speakers where previously they just sat on the floor.  I also found them a bit of a pig as when you wanted to move speakers for placement experimentation, it was much harder with granite slabs to move around too - unless you're happy to have them not placed neatly and evenly under the speakers. Beyond that they did very little to the sound - much less than just chaining from spikes to rubber feet, and way less than what the Gaia's bring.  In my setup anyway.  Thats just reminded me I must sell those slabs!

But if you don't like the look of the Gaia's its a non starter. (But Id still try them just so you know where you want to get to with another solution! Wink )
It's not that I don't like the look of the Gaias, quite the opposite, it's just that I don't think I'd like the look of the Olympicas sitting up straight. I considered buying a large set for the front brackets, and a small set for the back. The only problem as I see it is that, if I jacked the fronts up, the bottoms of the Gaias would be parallel with the bracket, but not with the floor, unless the thread to Gaia interface was some sort of ball joint. Do you get my drift, Steve? Huh Smile
South Coast England