Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom DAC - How Does It Compare
I am recently back to semi serious music listening via my Phantoms after being without a decent system for a few years. Still amazed by the sound. Have a question about the DAC used in the Phantoms. I understand it is a TI built chip. How does this DAC stack up against the current top end DAC's available? I can't imagine Devialet skimping on this critical component. Just curious how it compares to the best in class
I am asking this question as someone trying to learn more about these speakers I love. It is my understanding that the quality of the DAC has a significant effect on the quality of the sound the speaker produces. I don't know if this is as true when the speaker is also microprocessor controlled? I am also curious how Devialet keeps the DAC's in phase from a time perspective and locked so they do not drift causing a slight incoherence. It would be great if someone with more technical knowledge could share with us less educated.
I’d love to hear an answer too. The most I know is that for Gold Phantom most of their processing is done on their one new in-house chips. So that has to be highly interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
I am not sure that the DAC chip matters as much as the overall implementation. In fact I think you will find it's quite a cheap part. I think with the Phantoms it is much more the sum of the parts. There is a white paper somewhere that explains the technology. There is a lot going on in those little beasts. I think the hybrid amplification helps give a very dynamic presentation but I am guessing.
As for keeping the DACs in phase, as they are all in the same system I would guess that they are sharing the same clock, therefore no issue on that front.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Would be great if there was sticky with a link to the white paper. Maybe someone can post a link. Would love to read more about the technology than the marketing blurbs on the site.
(31-Aug-2017, 16:16)Ken Reede Wrote: Would be great if there was sticky with a link to the white paper. Maybe someone can post a link. Would love to read more about the technology than the marketing blurbs on the site.

I'll throw a link up. I have a copy of the PDF's.
Devialet Phantom (White)
Here's the original Press Release and White Paper from 2015 when Phantom launched. I have never found any documentation on Gold Phantom but this is for White and Silver.

-Link removed-

I hope this helps! Smile Let me know when you've downloaded them!
Devialet Phantom (White)
I was able to grab them. Thank you very much.
(01-Sep-2017, 01:19)Ken Reede Wrote: I was able to grab them. Thank you very much.

Fantastic!! Do share your thoughts on some of the tech in there that catches your eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)