Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical to Dialogue still an issue?
When I did my Phantom setup I read somewhere that to avoid crackling when using optical input, it was better to run the optical to one of the Phantoms and not to use the Dialogue. Is this still the case? I hate that optical cable running out of the back of one of my Phantoms. Would be much cleaner set up if I could run the optical directly to the Dialogue.

Thanks in advance for the help. I am new to the list and apologize if this has been covered. I could not find anything in the search that was current.

Ken
I think the crackling issue has been resolved (I never had that particular issue myself). I however run my optical to one of my phantoms still, this due to audio dropping issues when connecting to the dialog (and now it's not even in same room anymore, dialog is with the router).

Easiest way to find out is testing, mostly as many of us has different experiences.
Unfortunately, the crackling issue when playing music through the optical input of the Dialog still remains with the latest firmware (1.13.1.17). Also, the maximum sampling rate that works from my Raspberry PI with Digi+ optical output board is 24/96k. On the optical input of the Phantoms 24/192k works without problems and without any crackling using the same RPi/Digi+. I'm quite sure that at some time in the past or maybe with the first gen Dialog I could stream 24/192k to the optical input of the Dialog. However, the crackling was always there. It happens every 5-10 minutes, so is bearable but not perfect. Can anyone also confirm the limitation to 96k that I have and whether it is the same independent of the Dialog version, i.e. the Airplay and the non-airplay Dialog?
The ADC for my turntable sends 24/192 to the Dialog without any problems. I have the Airplay compatible Dialog.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(28-Aug-2017, 20:34)ragwo Wrote: The ADC for my turntable sends 24/192 to the Dialog without any  problems. I have the Airplay compatible Dialog.

Thanks ragwo for the feedback. Then I have to see what causes this change. Is it the quality of my fiber optic cable or of the quality of the Digi+ board. I have a second one and will check if it is different. Due to the housing of the second RPi I cannot simply connect the other RPi to the optical cable I use. It could also be that my new Dialog has a worse performance. Since standard specifications for SPDIF is up to 96k and not 192k one is a bit dependent on the component quality and can not give it for granted that any cable works with any device.
Your welcome. I'm using a RME ADI-2.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage