Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any way at all to downplay the bass for my pair of Phantom Golds?
I was just demoing the KEF reference 5 and B&W 803D3 and I really liked the KEF. One major difference with softer music is the bass from Phantoms are too heavy. Not that I'm trying to match them but I wonder if there's a way to do it as titled as it would fit my taste better.
There's night mode. Other than that you could try positioning them further from the wall.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
No way to do so natively.
You can always use external processing and correction methods but you’ll be going a different route for that.

Phantom just plays the audio as it is received. No alterations. Just as is. The bass isn’t intentionally bumped up and when two Phantom’s are in a Stereo Pair they adapt to each other so the bass isn’t overwhelming. They should be doing that. Other than that. There’s no native way. Phantom’s just play more like you’re sitting outside at an outdoors concert where every kick and sound really physically moves you. True to reality in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
You could always try the Silvers.... - and then positioning them around the room to alter low frequency response of the system in the space.
Phantom bass is emphasised, but not nearly so far from neutral (or perhaps more importantly, from the "preferred listening curve") as people tend to claim. Also, the Reference 5 is rated to something like 40Hz and the Phantom to 20Hz, so if anything it's the KEF that is slightly bass deficient. You could of course use Night Mode, but it does crush bass to much lower than neutral. Until Devialet add a proper EQ, I would tend toward just living with the presentation as is.
Have said it many times including to Devialet directly - really need to provide capability to EQ the tone via Spark. This is probably the greatest deficiency.

That said, you have 'night mode' as others have observed. I for one, in my situation actually would like a bit more mid bass and bass as I often listen at low levels.
As has been mentioned, you ought to try changing the positioning in your room. But, you may already have them in a place that fits well with the room surroundings, so this might not be ideal.

Try looking into bass traps. They can be customized with various prints, and modern designs can help tailor the more precisely range you want to attenuate, while remaining unobtrusive in your room.
The bass on Gold are to heavy, this is the main reason i decided to keep the Silver which sounds more natural but lacks of sharpness
(31-Aug-2017, 08:37)cbleehk Wrote: I was just demoing the KEF reference 5 and B&W 803D3 and I really liked the KEF. One major difference with softer music is the bass from Phantoms are too heavy. Not that I'm trying to match them but I wonder if there's a way to do it as titled as it would fit my taste better.

One method: digital room correction. Phantoms respond very well to DRC. If Roon is the player, this is quite easy. REW should be able to create a suitable amplitude correction filter that can run in Roon's convolution engine.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Funny....my room absorbs bass so I wish for more bass. Smile