Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom and Airplay: No HiRez?
I have my Phantoms connected to the LAN by ethernet and play music via Roon. Source (Mac mini) and Dialog are also wired to LAN. 

It seems that Roon downsamples hirez music to CD quality by default. In Spark I didn't find any option to enable bit-perfect.

Is this a hardware limitation of the (golden) Phantoms or a limit in AirPlay? This would be a bit strange, given Devialet's reputation.

Can Dialog be motivated to establish another connection besides AirPlay? I didn't find any option.

Strangely Dev customer@service didn't even understand my question about this issue.
It's an AirPlay limitation. If your mini is close to the Phantoms you can connect direct via optical. I use a Raspberry Pi as a Roon end point with a digi hat optical out into one of the Phantoms and get up to 24/192.
(06-Sep-2017, 10:17)stevec Wrote: It's an AirPlay limitation. If your mini is close to the Phantoms you can connect direct via optical. I use a Raspberry Pi as a Roon end point with a digi hat optical out into one of the Phantoms and get up to 24/192.

I see. I don't see any possibility to connect both Phantoms via optical because the mini has only one optical out. The Dialog, on the other hand, also has only one optical out and is up to now limited to CD quality on the optical channel.

Why can't I stream HiRez through the LAN?
You can use the optical in of any of the Phantoms and it automatically will send to the other phantom in stereo configuration just turn on optical for the PHantoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(06-Sep-2017, 10:32)Mohmm Wrote:
(06-Sep-2017, 10:17)stevec Wrote: It's an AirPlay limitation. If your mini is close to the Phantoms you can connect direct via optical. I use a Raspberry Pi as a Roon end point with a digi hat optical out into one of the Phantoms and get up to 24/192.

I see. I don't see any possibility to connect both Phantoms via optical because the mini has only one optical out. The Dialog, on the other hand, also has only one optical out and is up to now limited to CD quality on the optical channel.

Why can't I stream HiRez through the LAN?

Just connect the optical cable to one of the Phantoms or the Dialog. The system will automagically work out stereo by itself.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
You can only use the Spark app or airplay through LAN. Otherwise needs to be optical. Spark sounds the best in my opinion but no Roon that way. Am hoping they will make the Phantoms a Roon end point one day.
(06-Sep-2017, 13:08)stevec Wrote: You can only use the Spark app or airplay through LAN. Otherwise needs to be optical. Spark sounds the best in my opinion but no Roon that way. Am hoping they will make the Phantoms a Roon end point one day.

Airplay is a wireless streaming standard, and Gold Phantom is Airplay compatible. The latest version of Dialog is also compatible with Airplay. The signal is transferred between the Phantoms and the Dialog either via PLC, ethernet or WiFi.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Yes , ^^^that is much better described than I did.