Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion LINK failure with Roon AIR
Last weekend, I replaced my D400 Master to Companion LINK cable from DH Labs Silver Sonic RCA-AES to Audioquest Diamond RCA-AES. Since then, I am observing that when I stream from Roon Air, only certain albums are playing perfectly and many albums are creating a LINK failure on the Companion, forcing the Companion to Shut-down. In that state, the moment I select an album that plays correctly, the Companion in Shut-down state wakes up, the LINK failure status is now OK and it reverts to normal playback. 

Roon Air on my Macbook Air is build 259. D400 is v10.1.0

Any sort of help will be most appreciated ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Stating the obvious, but... if the problem has only started to happen since you replaced the link cable, perhaps the new cable is faulty or not working to the specification required by the Devialets (perhaps possible since I think you said it was custom-built). Have you tried putting the original cable back to see whether the unplayable albums then play OK? That would seem to be the first step to try.

Is there a common factor in the unplayable albums, such as the sample rate? Maybe the new cable works at lower sample rates but not higher?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(06-Sep-2017, 11:17)thumb5 Wrote: Stating the obvious, but... if the problem has only started to happen since you replaced the link cable, perhaps the new cable is faulty or not working to the specification required by the Devialets (perhaps possible since I think you said it was custom-built).  Have you tried putting the original cable back to see whether the unplayable albums then play OK?  That would seem to be the first step to try.

Is there a common factor in the unplayable albums, such as the sample rate?  Maybe the new cable works at lower sample rates but not higher?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try out all the things you've mentioned and report back. 

Also, I was wondering if the 72V DBS of AQ Diamond was interfering with the LINK ?  Is there a way to bypass DBS I wonder ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(06-Sep-2017, 13:00)audio_engr Wrote:
(06-Sep-2017, 11:17)thumb5 Wrote: Stating the obvious, but... if the problem has only started to happen since you replaced the link cable, perhaps the new cable is faulty or not working to the specification required by the Devialets (perhaps possible since I think you said it was custom-built).  Have you tried putting the original cable back to see whether the unplayable albums then play OK?  That would seem to be the first step to try.

Is there a common factor in the unplayable albums, such as the sample rate?  Maybe the new cable works at lower sample rates but not higher?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try out all the things you've mentioned and report back. 

Also, I was wondering if the 72V DBS of AQ Diamond was interfering with the LINK ?  Is there a way to bypass DBS I wonder ?

Maybe try to unplug the DBS in your Diamond Interlink. It doesn't look that way at first glance, but there is an plug on the DBS box side of the unterlink where you can unplug the entire DBS unit.

I use an AQ Diamond between my source and the Devialet, and I had a similar problem with all albums that were 24 bit, 192 kHz. All other files played, but the high resolution files failed. I have always thought it had something to do with the uncompatability between Linn (BNC out) and Devialet (RCA in). So had the cable reterminated to BNC - AES, and that did the trick for me too.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(06-Sep-2017, 10:19)audio_engr Wrote: Last weekend, I replaced my D400 Master to Companion LINK cable from DH Labs Silver Sonic RCA-AES to Audioquest Diamond RCA-AES. Since then, I am observing that when I stream from Roon Air, only certain albums are playing perfectly and many albums are creating a LINK failure on the Companion, forcing the Companion to Shut-down. In that state, the moment I select an album that plays correctly, the Companion in Shut-down state wakes up, the LINK failure status is now OK and it reverts to normal playback. 

I think I reported something similar here.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Sep-2017, 15:48)kerkhoffd Wrote:

Maybe try to unplug the DBS in your Diamond Interlink. It doesn't look that way at first glance, but there is an plug on the DBS box side of the unterlink where you can unplug the entire DBS unit.

I use an AQ Diamond between my source and the Devialet, and I had a similar problem with all albums that were 24 bit, 192 kHz. All other files played, but the high resolution files failed. I have always thought it had something to do with the uncompatability between Linn (BNC out) and Devialet (RCA in). So had the cable reterminated to BNC - AES, and that did the trick for me too.

Hi,

Thanks for joining in with your comments. Wow !!  What do you suggest I do ?
(06-Sep-2017, 16:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-Sep-2017, 10:19)audio_engr Wrote: Last weekend, I replaced my D400 Master to Companion LINK cable from DH Labs Silver Sonic RCA-AES to Audioquest Diamond RCA-AES. Since then, I am observing that when I stream from Roon Air, only certain albums are playing perfectly and many albums are creating a LINK failure on the Companion, forcing the Companion to Shut-down. In that state, the moment I select an album that plays correctly, the Companion in Shut-down state wakes up, the LINK failure status is now OK and it reverts to normal playback. 

I think I reported something similar here.

Guillaume

Thanks !!

What should I do to fix this problem ?
Perhaps try to unplug the DBS unit as kerkhoffd suggested?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(06-Sep-2017, 15:48)kerkhoffd Wrote:

I just did a quick random check and indeed - its the 24/192 files thats creating the Link failure & shut-down ...
It seems that the AudioQuest cable is technically not performing as well as your original DH Labs cable, then. If I were you I'd simply go back to the cable that works at the higher sample rate, assuming you still have it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK