Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion LINK failure with Roon AIR
The following were carried out ...

1. Complete Power OFF the D400.
2. Removal of the AQ Diamond LINK cable.
3. Removal of SD Cards from Master & Companion.
4. Reformat of SD Cards, followed by fresh install of v10.1.0 & configuration files thru Firefox on my macbook.
5. Removal of DBS from AQ Diamond LINK cable.
6. Full power cycle and then playback.

Once again - 24/176.4 and 24/192 files are causing the problems ... i.e. LINK failure & then - Companion shutdown. 

All other 24-bit files @ 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96 are good !!

WHAT NEXT please advise ... ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
[img]<a href=[/img][Image: Screen_Shot_2017_09_06_at_4_56_01_PM.png]" />

If I select this setting for ETH in Roon, all my files play ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I would say that a call to Audioquest would be the best solution. If the removal of DBS Pack did not manage to solve the issue.
After a long chat with Audioquest Tech guys in California, apparently they shipped 2 units of their WILD (one down from their flagship WEL) to Devialet in France with RCA-AES config (just like my DIAMOND) and there's no issues. 

AQ says conductor wise, there's no difference between the Diamond & Wild or Wel except the "noise dissipation system" thats far more robust in Wild from Diamond and even better in Wel. 

Possibly, freq above 100kHz is affecting the HiRez files and AQ will be now investigating this and will provide solutions in time they said ...

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: Screen_Shot_2017_09_06_at_5_36_23_PM.png]" />
Quick search on google seems like you are not alone, others have reported the same issue back in 2016..

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1235&page=3
(06-Sep-2017, 21:43)Devialetuser Wrote: Quick search on google seems like you are not alone, others have reported the same issue back in 2016..

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1235&page=3

Thanks a ton !! 

Sent a PM to helloworld1978 ...
Need a bit of advise from you guys out here ... 

Ideally ...

Scenario - 1 :  Take 110 ohms AES/EBU cable, terminate Destination Male XLR with Pin1 = Gnd; Pin2 = +ve; Pin3 = -ve and Source RCA with Centre = +ve; Body = Gnd and -ve

OR

Scenario - 2 :  Take 75 ohms S/pDIF cable, terminate Destination Male XLR with Pin1= -ve; Pin2 = +ve; Pin3= -ve and Source RCA with Centre = +ve; Body = -ve 

Meanwhile ... I recall reading somewhere here that Destination Male XLR Pin1 should be left Blank.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also had a chat with Daniel of Oxford Audio Consultants and they confirmed that they've had no issues or any sort when they used the AQ Diamond RCA-RCA ... they haven't tried the mixed RCA-XLR so they couldn't say anything for that ...
It was the custom BNC-RCA terminated Diamond cable that had the same problems you describe in my setup. Switching to BNC-AES with 75Ohm cable that worked. I do feel though that this cable now takes a little away from dynamics, as my source sends out a 75Ohm signal to a 110Ohm Devialet input.

Did you try and unplug the DBS on the link yet?
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(08-Sep-2017, 12:59)kerkhoffd Wrote: It was the custom BNC-RCA terminated Diamond cable that had the same problems you describe in my setup. Switching to BNC-AES with 75Ohm cable that worked. I do feel though that this cable now takes a little away from dynamics, as my source sends out a 75Ohm signal to a 110Ohm Devialet input.

Did you try and unplug the DBS on the link yet?

Thanks for your inputs. 

It seems that your source is the Linn with its BNC OUT. And the AQ Diamond is from the Linn to D400 Master AES. 

My problem is the Master to Companion Link cable. 

1. I did unplug the DBS and removed it entirely. 
2. I also kept the DBS plugged in but removed all the internal batteries.

It didn't help. We are now investigating if AQ used a 75-ohm cable or a 110-ohm cable ...
Agree my Diamond is indeed in a different place. Just felt I'd share my experience as the Diamond sometimes seem to work, and sometimes interferes somehow with the electronics. My brother uses one too. Like you inbetween master and companion, and has no trouble. His cable in my setup works too, so it looks like it could also be individual cable specific.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands