Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needle replacement on MC element
This question is not directly for myself, however, i am considering a Rega RP10 with Apheta 2, so i am VERY interested in the answer.

A friend of mine has a relatively expansive Dynavector element from about 12 years old from which the needle needs to be replaced. But it seems needles of MC elements are hard if even possible to replace. So, he can get a little refund on a new Dynavector element but that's it.

My question, is this really the case with (all) MC elements? Because with the more high end ones from 1000 euros ore more this could get expansive really fast when playing vinyl often. Especially when after about 1000 hours or so playing time for the average needle, this needle (and thus whole MC element) needs to be replaced...

How are you guys experiencing this? And do you have tips to consider?
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(07-Sep-2017, 12:46)Bartype Wrote: This question is not directly for myself, however, i am considering a Rega RP10 with Apheta 2, so i am VERY interested in the answer.

A friend of mine has a relatively expansive Dynavector element from about 12 years old from which the needle needs to be replaced. But it seems needles of MC elements are hard if even possible to replace. So, he can get a little refund on a new Dynavector element but that's it.

My question, is this really the case with (all) MC elements? Because with the more high end ones from 1000 euros ore more this could get expansive really fast when playing vinyl often. Especially when after about 1000 hours or so playing time for the average needle, this needle (and thus whole MC element) needs to be replaced...

How are you guys experiencing this? And do you have tips to consider?
Tips to consider! Like it!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

They can be re-tipped instead of replacing the whole assembly.

This guy will help you I think: http://www.thecartridgeman.com/

That's assuming you are in the U.K.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I use The Expert Stylus Company in the U.K. Their work is absolutely first class. It will normally cost around £300 for an inspection, cleaning and re-tip with one their paratrace diamonds.

They don't have a website and they don't advertise anywhere. I can give your their contact details if you PM me.

They are always busy and there is a waiting list. You need to book your cartridge in and then they will advise you when to send it to them. It's around a six to eight week turnaround after you book your slot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Most M/C cartridges can be retipped and there are several companies that will do it. A point to consider here is if the cartridge is 12 years old, how fit is the cantilever suspension and maybe the rest of the components?

I would under your circumstances recommend contacting Dominic Harper of North West Analogue.
http://www.northwestanalogue.com/

I know Dominic personally although I have no interest in his business or livelihood. I am sure he could do the retip and in doing so offer an option on stylus profile and, if you are interested, cantilever type and any degree of rebuild you might consider appropriate. He will deal with suspension and even rewind the coils if necessary. He is a highly competent albeit not so well known engineer who builds his own cartridges and the ones I have heard are for me the very best I have ever heard.

This recommendation is made completely without predudice.