Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good price for Phantom Gold?
I need a second Phantom Gold to get stereo and I got a offer for a used one. It is from April 2017 and she says it is in perfect condition.

In Denmark a new one cost 19.690 DKK ($3168), but she wants 17.500 DKK ($2816) and a Cocoon is included with that price.

What do you think about that?
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
(07-Sep-2017, 15:42)mixart Wrote: I need a second Phantom Gold to get stereo and I got a offer for a used one. It is from April 2017 and she says it is in perfect condition.

In Denmark a new one cost 19.690 DKK ($3168), but she wants 17.500 DKK ($2816) and a Cocoon is included with that price.

It seems OK, but not a great deal. If it's nearly new, I'd be happy with a price that's around 65-70% of MSRP. Remember, you're essentially buying from a stranger and you don't know the exact condition. Maybe she blasted music at a really loud level?
Also, there is the issue of warranty. Will it still be honored? These kinds of questions would want to make me pay less than what she's asking.

I'm the same way when I'm selling something. I'm happy to get 60-70% of new or what I paid. I'd be interested to hear what others thing -- maybe I'm in the minority.
Single Silver Phantom...more to come?
(07-Sep-2017, 15:42)mixart Wrote: I need a second Phantom Gold to get stereo and I got a offer for a used one. It is from April 2017 and she says it is in perfect condition.

As long as it is in perfect condition and she gives you the receipt, it's an OK price, IMO. Maybe you can get it 500-1000 DKK cheaper? There's always room for negotiation. If she has blasted at high volumes doesn't matter, Devialet has continously played at maximum volume for months on several Phantoms without any problems.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
When I switched from 2 Silver to 2 Gold, I asked the seller how much I could expect if reselling. They were 1 year old and he told me about a valuation haircut of 30%. So 10% for less than 6 months seems fair.

ps : I didn't actually sell them and gave one to each of my two sons
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
She says: (with help with google translate)

"It's a purchase from a company "Benedek & Co. - Brand & Communication" that works with Devialet, having to make an assignment on the Phantom Gold."

"Think it's because they write some reports on different tech products from many different companies and maybe go around to different places with some of the items to show them - in this case Phantom Gold?"

What do you think about this? Is has no scratch but it has been taking around many places with bags Cocoon.
I would expect a larger discount for anything that hasn't sat untouched like most audio equipment does, and doubly so if it was treated like a technical/commercial sample which it sounds like it was. Also, in general you almost never need to pay the asking price. Maybe offer 15000 DKK and meet halfway if you have to.
If it was a commercial sample, I would not pay more than 60% of the retail. But this is subjective - it is worth to you what you will pay for it. Smile

I myself am looking for 2 more Golds and do acknowledge that they are scarce to find preowned though I'll keep looking.
Second MountainGuy
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I've been keeping my eyes out for a secondhand Cocoon for ages, and haven't seen one ever. So it is essentially worth MSRP, or about $300. If you wanted the Cocoon anyway, I suppose that brings the implied cost of the Gold down to the ~$2500 range.
I bought it friday last week and I am waiting for my new Dialog being sent to me. I look forward to hearing the Phantom Gold in stereo. I'm happy with deal. Especially with the Cocoon.