Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning strike
Hi guys,
Just brought my dev200 to the dealer. Yesterday we had some kind of lightning strike and sinds then the dev is dead. Any of you had experiece with som ekinf of damage? The dev will be send to france for repair. Wondered if anyone have had the same experience and can give me an idea of the costs.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(09-Sep-2017, 17:41)KraaijCheck Wrote: Hi guys,
Just brought my dev200 to the dealer. Yesterday we had some kind of lightning strike and sinds then the dev is dead. Any of you had experiece with som ekinf of damage? The dev will be send to france for repair. Wondered if anyone have had the same experience and can give me an idea of the costs.

Hi, if you are lucky only the fuses and the varistors (protection against overvoltage) burned! Shy
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I used to work for an AV repair company on Holland. Whenever you're dealing with a lightning strike, throw the thing out and get a new one. So if your insurance pays for it, get a new one. If you have to pay for it yourself, get the upgrade to 220Pro. Even better, tell your insurance company that upgrading to Pro is cheaper than a new one and get the upgrade for free.

Whatever you do, don't get it repaired. It's highly likely to cause you head aches down the track.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
It actually wasn't a lightning strike but something that looks like it. Does "a floating zero" says something?
Hope to here in the beginning of next week if my insurance pays for it.

Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(10-Sep-2017, 10:26)KraaijCheck Wrote: It actually wasn't a lightning strike but something that looks like it. Does "a floating zero" says something?
Hope to here in the beginning of next week if my insurance pays for it.

I've never heard of a 'floating zero' but if you mean you had 380V instead of 240V because you got two phases rather than a phase and a zero then it's not like a lightning strike. Both will wreck your power supply but the very high voltage of a lightning strike can cause damage to components that will appear way down the track. 

Just to be clear, a lightning strike is rarely a strike in the wires of your house. If it was you would know about it; everything will melt. Most 'strikes' are lightning hitting somewhere in close vicinity to your house and the massive magnetic field will create a current surge through your wiring and everything attached. It's impossible to predict the long term damage done in the short term, therefore I wouldn't repair it. If the 'floating zero' means you just had too high a voltage for a while it's likely to have just blown some bits and pieces in the power supply and repair is fine.

Good luck with it!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Thanks Pim. De Dev is now underway to France. Hope to get an idea op the possibilities in a few days.
(11-Sep-2017, 15:03)KraaijCheck Wrote: Thanks Pim. De Dev is now underway to France. Hope to get an idea op the possibilities in a few days.

Fingers crossed.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
What happened? How much do you have to pay?
Something like that occurs with me (before the Dev ) and seems a electric overcharge .
The electricity company paid all the damage equipment.