Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can rebooting Devialet everyday be harmful ?
Due to my nature of my job, I have been living in Sierra Leone (West Africa) where things are 'really under-developed' ... esp. incoming power. 

The nominal voltage is 230V ac 50Hz but oscillates from 190V to 265V and several times a day, there are outages hence alternative source is a diesel generator during the outage period. To protect my audio gear, I use an Eaton Corp. 5 kVA online UPS that locks my output voltage to 230V and freq to 50 Hz. Every time I wish to listen to my system, I'd switch-on the UPS to provide clean power and once I am done I would turn off the UPS.   

After replacing the Devialet Stock powercords with Synergistic Research Atmosphere for Devialet powercords recently, I find that every time I switch-on the UPS, the Devialets would perform a full reboot, i.e. install software, request a reset & then return to Standby. [ With the Devialet stock powercords, this never used to occur. It would always be on Standby whenever the UPS was switched-on ]. 

I am wondering if repeated reboots would harm the Devialets esp. if done practically on a daily basis. 

( I wrote to Devialet Support but they couldn't answer it correctly or offer any suggestions probably as they didn't understand

Any thoughts on this ... ?

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: UPS_Switch_ON.jpg]
html picture upload
" />
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Computers reboot all the time so I wouldn't think rebooting the Devialet will hurt it. But the fact it happens due to the power cords you're using does worry me.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
When you load new firmware, the Devialet deletes one file from the SD card so it knows that this task is complete and thus the amp will not re-load the firmware when re-stared in the future. You can disable this by switching the SD card to read only, in which case the Devialet will see that the subject files is not deleted, and hence think it is new firmware and load it each time the amp is fully powered down and then up again. You can run a Devialet without firmware on the SD card, you just need the configuration. Certainly the Devialet cannot re-load firmware if it is not on the SD card.

So I can see a scenario where a fully powered down Devialet will reboot and load firmware whenever started if the SD card is switched to read only.

Could this be influenced by the power cord? Impossible I would say. Maybe a coincidence? Have you changed the configurations / SD cards at the same time as switching cords?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(15-Sep-2017, 12:04)audio_engr Wrote: Due to my nature of my job, I have been living in Sierra Leone (West Africa) where things are 'really under-developed' ... esp. incoming power. 

The nominal voltage is 230V ac 50Hz but oscillates from 190V to 265V and several times a day, there are outages hence alternative source is a diesel generator during the outage period. To protect my audio gear, I use an Eaton Corp. 5 kVA online UPS that locks my output voltage to 230V and freq to 50 Hz. Every time I wish to listen to my system, I'd switch-on the UPS to provide clean power and once I am done I would turn off the UPS.   

After replacing the Devialet Stock powercords with Synergistic Research Atmosphere for Devialet powercords recently, I find that every time I switch-on the UPS, the Devialets would perform a full reboot, i.e. install software, request a reset & then return to Standby. [ With the Devialet stock powercords, this never used to occur. It would always be on Standby whenever the UPS was switched-on ]. 

I am wondering if repeated reboots would harm the Devialets esp. if done practically on a daily basis. 

( I wrote to Devialet Support but they couldn't answer it correctly or offer any suggestions probably as they didn't understand

Any thoughts on this ... ?

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: UPS_Switch_ON.jpg]
html picture upload
" />

Hi audio_engr, you use an automatic switching device for the unit and what are the criteria voltage and frequency or only voltage? Best would be a sketch how the devices (UPS, generator) are wired!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(15-Sep-2017, 14:17)Confused Wrote: When you load new firmware, the Devialet deletes one file from the SD card so it knows that this task is complete and thus the amp will not re-load the firmware when re-stared in the future.  You can disable this by switching the SD card to read only, in which case the Devialet will see that the subject files is not deleted, and hence think it is new firmware and load it each time the amp is fully powered down and then up again.  You can run a Devialet without firmware on the SD card, you just need the configuration.  Certainly the Devialet cannot re-load firmware if it is not on the SD card.

So I can see a scenario where a fully powered down Devialet will reboot and load firmware whenever started if the SD card is switched to read only.

Could this be influenced by the power cord?  Impossible I would say.  Maybe a coincidence?  Have you changed the configurations / SD cards at the same time as switching cords?

+1 ... absolutely spot-on !!  Thank you indeed ... 

The SD cards were set to read/write so I removed them & slid the plastic slider Up to read only. Switched on the UPS & the Devialets fully booted once and upon further UPS turn-ons, it starts up at "Standby". brilliant & thanks to you ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US