Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transmute your Phantom into Gold Phantom!
(20-Sep-2017, 02:33)Adams Wrote: It's not that good of a deal. I have 2 perfectly good silvers, the exchange cost for me in Australian dollars is close to the outright cost of one gold. I think I would be better off keeping the silvers and buying an additional gold for a centre speaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also from Australia, you think it’s worth going from a Phantom White to a Gold when it will cost AUD$1678?

Been contemplating this as it’s a brand new Phantom Gold speaker. With a new warranty, which is 2+ years in Australia, and a transfer of Devialet care if you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Hello!

I have a silver Phantom and was planning to buy a second one because... well yes... I dont need to say why its necessary to buy a second one. But now the offering from Devialet comes into the game and for some time I considered to exchange my silver for a gold.

But, as far I have investigated here and elsewhere, the golds are more audiophile and the silvers are more massive in bass area I really dont know wich one suits my listening type more.

I mainly hear, old HipHop and some very precise Drum&Bass wich is really good recorded, I like it how the silver handle those genres and also that it is a little bit biased to the bass section compared to the gold. But I never listen to a gold, so is anybody here with the same music taste and has tested it under good condition side by side ?

Is it worth to upgrade to one gold and buy another one later ?! Or would you choose to buy an additional silver now ?

Thanks a lot
Nico
(20-Sep-2017, 15:11)nicosocha Wrote: Hello!

I have a silver Phantom and was planning to buy a second one because... well yes... I dont need to say why its necessary to buy a second one. But now the offering from Devialet comes into the game and for some time I considered to exchange my silver for a gold.

But, as far I have investigated here and elsewhere, the golds are more audiophile and the silvers are more massive in bass area I really dont know wich one suits my listening type more.

I mainly hear, old HipHop and some very precise Drum&Bass wich is really good recorded, I like it how the silver handle those genres and also that it is a little bit biased to the bass section compared to the gold. But I never listen to a gold, so is anybody here with the same music taste and has tested it under good condition side by side ?

Is it worth to upgrade to one gold and buy another one later ?! Or would you choose to buy an additional silver now ?

Thanks a lot
Nico
Nobody who has upgraded to the Gold seems to regret it, but I say never postpone gratification( at least when dealing with things audio).
Others have speculated why Devialet is making this offer. Although the upgrade price seems stiff, after paying shipping both ways, I don't think they are seeing much if any profit. I think they want to get as many whites and silvers out of circulation because they are dead end products. As they make (hopefully) further improvements in the Golds and leave the others behind there will be fewer disgruntled owners. No inside knowledge ,just idle speculation.
(21-Sep-2017, 02:35)Marcner Wrote:

Thanks a lot
Nico
Nobody who has upgraded to the Gold seems to regret it, but I say never postpone gratification( at least when dealing with things audio).
Others have speculated why Devialet is making this offer. Although the upgrade price seems stiff, after paying shipping both ways, I don't think they are seeing much if any profit. I think they want to get as many whites and silvers out of circulation because they are dead end products. As they make (hopefully) further improvements in the Golds and leave the others behind there will be fewer disgruntled owners. No inside knowledge ,just idle speculation.

I had the same speculation. No commercial branche will sell upgrades with a low profit. Maybe they found an flaw in the first ones? End of a product line?
(21-Sep-2017, 08:40)deboer.bas Wrote:
(21-Sep-2017, 02:35)Marcner Wrote:

Thanks a lot
Nico

I had the same speculation. No commercial branche will sell upgrades with a low profit. Maybe they found an flaw in the first ones? End of a product line?
But why are they still selling the white and silver if that is the case?
I'm thinking it could be a very good thing for someone like me who has an early non-Bluetooth White Phantom with some mild cosmetic damage. Would avoid the hassle of the reduced value under private selling.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Owning both Silver and Gold Phantoms I would not speculate about the first two generations being defective. My Silvers work same as day1, except for improvments in the firmware were all in all improving performance and ironed out initial issues the Phantoms had. There are more hardware problems with Dialog than the Phantoms. I have my Silvers since March 2015, so 2.5 years and listening to them almost on daily basis. The core technologies microprocessor, RAM etc. that are relevant for software updates are the same on all three models. The main differenciator in the Gold are the new ASIC (ADH2,...) and the tweeter. This also makes the main audible difference that is significant.
(21-Sep-2017, 13:28)streamy Wrote: Owning both Silver and Gold Phantoms I would not speculate about the first two generations being defective. My Silvers work same as day1, except for improvments in the firmware were all in all improving performance and ironed out initial issues the Phantoms had. There are more hardware problems with Dialog than the Phantoms. I have my Silvers since March 2015, so 2.5 years and listening to them almost on daily basis. The core technologies microprocessor, RAM etc. that are relevant for software updates are the same on all three models. The main differenciator in the Gold are the new ASIC (ADH2,...) and the tweeter. This also makes the main audible difference that is significant.

Please would you discribe the audible difference?
A general description is I find the Golds being faster, more attack, in the bass. They sound a bit less dull, i.e. less blown up in the bass. I think they go a bit lower or the very low end is more present. This is also visible. They flap more. Then the mids are more transparent, female voices are more open. In the mids they get closer to my B&W 802 (first edition). The Silvers are less present in the mids. In the treble the Golds are very linear, not harsh. The Silvers have a slight roll off. I can imagine that this can be to the liking of many, specifically when the room is less damped, filled with soft material. I prefer analytic and cristal clear cymbals. For me it is not fatiguing as others have reported, but this is definitely a question of taste. The new ASIC has a better S/N performance, there is much less hiss, not zero, but significant less.
(21-Sep-2017, 09:03)deTest Wrote:
(21-Sep-2017, 08:40)deboer.bas Wrote:
(21-Sep-2017, 02:35)Marcner Wrote: Nobody who has upgraded to the Gold seems to regret it, but I say never postpone gratification( at least when dealing with things audio).

But why are they still selling the white and silver if that is the case?

Hmmm? Good point. Let’s see if they continue to sell them going forward. Guess their corporate motivation will remain a mystery for now.