Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TIDAL - 6 months down the line
What can I say? TIDAL has totally transformed the way I listen to and ultimately buy music.
Its simply the best £20 per month I could ever spend. Talk about value for money.
It all started 6 months ago as I give up on the AIR software for the umpteenth time. I purchased the AK300 DAP and a pair of Campfire Audio Lyra 2. The AK300 had TIDAL on it and I started my subscription. I was always reluctant to go down the streaming route as I was one of the unlucky ones with AIR and I also thought the sound quality would not be as good. However those of you who followed my speaker journey will know that I had to change my listening habits as new neighbours moved in under me. So the AK300 was bought as a holiday tool and for some home us too.
I was instantly hooked on TIDAL and fir 3 months did not listen to my Devialet at all as TIDAL was used exclusively.
I love the new music section as i have always followed new music releases. TIDAL has saved me money too, quite a bot of money as I was spending £80 to £100 per month on downloads. Now its around half of that and I can see myself cutting the purchase of music even further. I would stop now but I like to copy my music to listen to in the car and on my holidays too. One day TIDAL will be streamed into cars and available offline abroad I would imagine and I may even stop altogether.
Then in like a disney type of ending my neighbours move out and the apartment below is empty. This coincide with Melco now working with the Kazoo app and being able to stream TIDAL.
It is like heaven. Is the sound quality as good as my HD ? I am not so sure, but the difference is tiny if any, and the convenience of all that music at my fingertips makes me happy that for me its not an issue anymore.
So now its approaching dark nights again in the UK and a period where my music listening increases as the night time golf is impossible, and boy am i excited.

So £20 per month, I hope thy dont read this Big Grin but I would pay a lot more than this. Its like something that once you have had it, you cant live without it. INCREDIBLE value and a music lovers dream
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(21-Sep-2017, 15:43)Womaz Wrote: What can I say? TIDAL has totally transformed the way I listen to and ultimately buy music.
Its simply the best £20 per month I could ever spend. Talk about value for money.
It all started 6 months ago as I give up on the AIR software for the umpteenth time. I purchased the AK300 DAP and a pair of Campfire Audio Lyra 2. The AK300 had TIDAL on it and I started my subscription. I was always reluctant to go down the streaming route as I was one of the unlucky ones with AIR and I also thought the sound quality would not be as good. However those of you who followed my speaker journey will know that I had to change my listening habits as new neighbours moved in under me. So the AK300 was bought as a holiday tool and for some home us too.
I was instantly hooked on TIDAL and fir 3 months did not listen to my Devialet at all as TIDAL was used exclusively.
I love the new music section as i have always followed new music releases. TIDAL has saved me money too, quite a bot of money as I was spending £80 to £100 per month on downloads. Now its around half of that and I can see myself cutting the purchase of music even further. I would stop now but I like to copy my music to listen to in the car and on my holidays too. One day TIDAL will be streamed into cars and available offline abroad I would imagine and I may even stop altogether.
Then in like a disney type of ending my neighbours move  out and the apartment below is empty. This coincide with Melco now working with the Kazoo app and being able to stream TIDAL.
It is like heaven. Is the sound quality as good as my HD ? I am not so sure, but the difference is tiny if any, and the convenience of all that music at my fingertips makes me happy that for me its not an issue anymore.
So now its approaching dark nights again in the UK and a period where my music listening increases as the night time golf is impossible, and boy am i excited.

So £20 per month, I hope thy dont read this  Big Grin but I would pay a lot more than this. Its like something that once you have had it, you cant live without it. INCREDIBLE value and a music lovers dream

Hi Womaz, can only confirm your experiences! Use TIDAL for 4 months and am completely satisfied. Big Grin Big Grin
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(21-Sep-2017, 16:15)K4680 Wrote:
(21-Sep-2017, 15:43)Womaz Wrote: What can I say? TIDAL has totally transformed the way I listen to and ultimately buy music.
Then in like a disney type of ending my neighbours move  out and the apartment below is empty. This coincide with Melco now working with the Kazoo app and being able to stream TIDAL.

So £20 per month, I hope thy dont read this  Big Grin but I would pay a lot more than this. Its like something that once you have had it, you cant live without it. INCREDIBLE value and a music lovers dream

Hi Womaz, can only confirm your experiences! Use TIDAL for 4 months and am completely satisfied. Big Grin  Big Grin

I still resent the fact that we pay £20 per month in the UK while just about every other country gets it for less (e.g. $20.00)
That said, I have no plans to cancel, but it leaves a slightly bitter taste . . .
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(21-Sep-2017, 16:40)Zappydev Wrote:
(21-Sep-2017, 16:15)K4680 Wrote:

Hi Womaz, can only confirm your experiences! Use TIDAL for 4 months and am completely satisfied. Big Grin  Big Grin

I still resent the fact that we pay £20 per month in the UK while just about every other country gets it for less (e.g. $20.00)
That said, I have no plans to cancel, but it leaves a slightly bitter taste . . .

Really? I could not care less what others pay, I ask myself does it represent value to me, and it undoubtedly does. I do see your point though
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
The UK price of streaming services includes 20% VAT, so it is actually quite a good deal. Plus more money to pay off the Government's budget deficit, we're all in it together......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Woman,

Excellent post; thanks for the story of your experience. We also have found that streaming opens up a range of music that we never had before. That exposure and access is hugely valuable- more so than considerations of ultimate quality, at least for us. My wife now listens to music as I do. By that I mean that she has access to various streaming sources easily. Previously, with my Naim and the dreaded UPnP, we were frequently challenged by connection problems, but no longer. It is extremely pleasing that the music and hifi is not just 'mine' any longer.

So, as for you, streaming has been a great development for us. Sourcing new music by searching, or reading the music threads here and finding those selections on one or several services. And then for material I want to own, I download it or look for a CD. Especially appealing is that much of the music I am interested in is not available in any conventional medium, so again, streaming gives access to material I would not otherwise be able to get.

We do pay a bit less for some of these services in NA, 'tis true, but the difference is easily erased in the cost of beer.... assuming your beer is less expensive. Its warmer, so it should be....Smile
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Have you experienced any of the MQA content on Tidal? I have the Bluesound Powernode 2 which is MQA enabled. It is a treat. It currently competes with some Phantoms I have on trial, and I wish the Phantoms were/would support MQA. My music listening is exclusively streaming - predominantly Tidal but the Apple music downloads to listen offline makes it somewhat "mine" to listen to...

I am also a Tidal subscriber.  Firstly the good points - integration with Roon - that integrates Tidal albums with my library that I then can stream to either my Devialet or Bluesound devices; and the CD quality and above.  The bad point - too many classical albums have their tracks out of order.  You can do workarounds to solve this but this should not happen.  It
@Womaz. Couldn’t agree more. I haven’t bought a CD in the seven months that I’ve been using Tidal. I used to buy five or six a month, so the savings are huge. Roon + Tidal is a match made in heaven.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Thanks for the replies guys. I do now use Tidal exclusively and I have not bought a CD for over 6 months.
I have also replaced my DAP with the ibasso dx200 which allows offline tidal and this takes care of my mobile listening.
The only issue I have is a recent one that a lot of tidal users are experiencing . Certain tracks not finishing and the occasional dropout. It’s very annoying and I guess if it does not improve I will have to reconsider.
On my DAP it has less issues so it’s a network probelm. The annoying thing is I upgraded my broadband to BT super fibre and I am getting speed of around 80mb.
I have thought about getting someone in to optimise my network connection . I would do this if I was confident they would solve my issues , but I guess I am not sure they could.
One thing I know is that Tidal is now absolutely essential for me . I wake up on a Friday excited to hear the new music releases , and can’t imagine giving that up