Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room correction with Phantom
I very much respect Devialet and what they have accomplished. I also appreaciate chatting with some of Devialet's lead guys in the past.

Unfortunately, I could not get any traction on room correction capability. I assume it is due to technical challenges - otherwise, there's really no reason not to incorporate room correction which is very much needed for a unit so capable in the bass range.

I'll keep waiting and see if Devialet eventually relents.
I use Roon's convolution engine for room correction of my Phantom Golds. Therefore I have a Raspberry PI with Digi+ board as Roon end point. The Digi+ optical output is connected to the Dialog, could also be connected to any of the Phantoms. I have just finished the process with Thierry from Home Audio Fidelity https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/ to make my filters. I will report in the original Thread on this forum regarding my experience and the result. Only to say: The results are really great. Thanks Thierry for this great service and yor HAF filters! The Golds gained on transparency and precision I could never obtain with my own filters made with REW and RePhase. On the other hand I'm actually quite happy how forgiving my listening room is with rather weak room modes. I decided to keep the bass signature from the Phantoms (increase of the very low end of 10dB) and not applying a roll off at the high end. I can still have that done with high and low shelve parametric filters in Roon. I wish Devialet will add RAAT functionality to the Phantoms. Then I will only need Roon to make Qobuz or other Audio sources available i.e. streamable to end points, a feature request I will add to the Roon forum. With streamable (for services or any audio source) I do not mean searchable, said here not to provoke a discussion whether it is the fault of the streaming providers or Roon Smile .
This is exactly how I would do it with a pair of Golds. I have not yet purchased a pair as Devialet has not communicated how they intend to deal with broken units after warranty. A pre-defined exchange price for a unit swap (or new units in the case that the current model is different from the ones I own and the old model is no longer available).
As I own a Mutec and a microRendu 1.4 I'd probably use this instead of a solution with a Pi. I expect this would give even better sound too.
Looking forward to your report!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I used dspeaker anti mode dual core 2.0 - optical out to phantoms

And you can have analogue in, optical in, or coax in

Amazing box of tricks
Would plugging a Chromecast audio (RCA or optical) into the room correction box achieve what I want (wireless in from laptop / Spotify connect / Google Home / ...)?
I am not familiar with either, but Chromecast optical into a Dspeaker should work fine.

EDIT: the quality of the optical SPDIF output of Chromecast is not the best according to reports I've read. An SPDIF reclocker like the iFi iPurifier is necessary I believe
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-Sep-2017, 12:17)ogs Wrote: I am not familiar with either, but Chromecast optical into a Dspeaker should work fine.

EDIT: the quality of the optical SPDIF output of Chromecast is not the best according to reports I've read. An SPDIF reclocker like the iFi iPurifier is necessary I believe

Thanks for the info.
I think I'll try a Raspberry pi running Raspotify with a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro for a cleaner SPDIF output than Chromecast Audio
Hi!

What is best way to go with my system if i want room correction. I have now 2x Phantom Golds with Dialog, Source Mac Mini (late2014 sp/dif out upto 24/192) miniplug-toslink to dialog and i use spark/tidal hifi. I have dirac room calibration software with umik-1 mic and dirac au and vst beta-plug ins. Phantoms are connected with plc, dialog and mac are same network with lan. Should i use Audirvana or is there better options in my case? And what is best way to connect if i want to add ps4 and TV to my system? Thanks!
(11-Mar-2019, 08:40)VeePeeKoo Wrote: What is best way to go with my system if i want room correction. I have now 2x Phantom Golds with Dialog, Source Mac Mini (late2014 sp/dif out upto 24/192) miniplug-toslink to dialog and i use spark/tidal hifi. I have dirac room calibration software with umik-1 mic and dirac au and vst beta-plug ins. Phantoms are connected with plc, dialog and mac are same network with lan. Should i use Audirvana or is there better options in my case? 

My own tests suggest that you should use Upnp to the Dialog rather than optical in.  But since you are using optical, the ideal situation using miniDSP:
  Mac Mini -> optical/coax RCA -> miniDSP DDRC-22D -> optical -> Dialog/Phantom

I think you have a miniDSP running Dirac with analog output?  If that is the case, then your will need to convert the miniDSP analogue output to optical (yuk!!!).

I am not familiar with Audirvana.  Does it have Upnp and room correction?  If so, you can do room correction in Audirvana and cast to the Phantoms using Upnp.
Hi Everybody,

I bought one pair of  Ghosts three days ago, my system is  configurated like this:

8K TV Samsung 65Q900R connected to Samsung Box Connect 
connected via optical cable to DSpeaker Anti-Mode Duo Core 2.0
connected via optical cable to Devialet Dialog.

I´ve done a  quick  room analysis which resulted to a much lower bass level,
Running on wifi it was  like  a subwoofer was cut down.
Running on Bluetooh  the Ghost are keeping their imponator bass strength.
I have to mention that you can adjust the treble range  via the DSpeaker but
you cannot attenuate the bass range just  raising up...