Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logic of Configurator
Since I have my D800 at home I am struggling with the configurator. For example, setting output power (I use a lower than 800 W setting) must be done on master and slave by hand, even though, of course, both NEED to have the same setting. Once, when I set the master and unwittingly forgot the slave, the slave went mute, and rightly so.

I am also wondering, why master and slave each need an MD-card. Given that both are communicating with each other, one card should suffice. If you are using an ethernet connection on the master, the slave's SD slot is exactly under this cable. Lifting the ethernet cable every time may damage the receptacle in the long run and/or loosen the connection.

In other words, the dual mono set-up logic of the configurator still lacks some more thought and better programming imo.

What is your experience with the dual mono set-up?
(15-Nov-2014, 18:43)Mohmm Wrote: Since I have my D800 at home I am struggling with the configurator. For example, setting output power (I use a lower than 800 W setting) must be done on master and slave by hand, even though, of course, both NEED to have the same setting. Once, when I set the master and unwittingly forgot the slave, the slave went mute, and rightly so.

I am also wondering, why master and slave each need an MD-card. Given that both are communicating with each other, one card should suffice. If you are using an ethernet connection on the master, the slave's SD slot is exactly under this cable. Lifting the ethernet cable every time may damage the receptacle in the long run and/or loosen the connection.

In other words, the dual mono set-up logic of the configurator still lacks some more thought and better programming imo.

What is your experience with the dual mono set-up?

I must admit I do find the process a little tedious. Coming from Linn it was so much easier as all updates and changes in configuration could be done via an app (Konfig) on your computer which would communicate with the devices over the network, download the relevant firmware updates etc. The app would also tell you if an update is available. Way easier than faffing around with SD cards.

Anyway I'm sure there are technical reasons for each unit needing its own SD card.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(15-Nov-2014, 18:58)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must admit I do find the process a little tedious. Coming from Linn it was so much easier as all updates and changes in configuration could be done via an app (Konfig) on your computer which would communicate with the devices over the network, download the relevant firmware updates etc. The app would also tell you if an update is available. Way easier than faffing around with SD cards.

Anyway I'm sure there are technical reasons for each unit needing its own SD card.

Guillaume

Tedious is the right word.

Having also had a LinnDS before the DP, I agree that configuring and updating went relatively smoothly. In my case the problems just popped up when trying to establish a working stream. Every third or fourth time it refused to work without restarting all the components in the chain (iTunes-Mac-LinnDS) in a certain order. Also the control point often had an issue even though they were not cheap in the app store. In this sense, the DP was a great relief.

Besides the Linn software for Mac was just soooo ugly and sometimes didn't work.

There always seems to be a tradeoff of one or the other kind.
(15-Nov-2014, 19:07)Mohmm Wrote:
(15-Nov-2014, 18:58)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must admit I do find the process a little tedious. Coming from Linn it was so much easier as all updates and changes in configuration could be done via an app (Konfig) on your computer which would communicate with the devices over the network, download the relevant firmware updates etc. The app would also tell you if an update is available. Way easier than faffing around with SD cards.

Guillaume

Tedious is the right word.

Having also had a LinnDS before the DP, I agree that configuring and updating went relatively smoothly. In my case the problems just popped up when trying to establish a working stream. Every third or fourth time it refused to work without restarting all the components in the chain (iTunes-Mac-LinnDS) in a certain order. Also the control point often had an issue even though they were not cheap in the app store. In this sense, the DP was a great relief.

Besides the Linn software for Mac was just soooo ugly and sometimes didn't work.

There always seems to be a tradeoff of one or the other kind.

Yep been there got the t-shirt etc! I got my first Linn DS in 2008 and it was painful back then to get things working properly. Sad

The latest version of Konfig is really slick though and seems to work perfectly. I still own a couple of Linn boxes in other rooms and I can't tell you how much easier it is...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I would say that the card is needed in both devices because each device is (independently) configurable. Each device must have access to its own configuration data during it's own power-on boot sequence, in ord er to know its own operating parameters. Even if one device (slave) were to get its parameters from somewhere else (say Master), it would still need to be configured as the slave beforehand during its bootup.

So I think it's an inevitable consequence of a system structure that can provide so much configurability.

(I afterwards thought maybe the unit PROM could be set so as to default to Slave when a card was absent, but this would mean there was no safe 'Factor Config' available and users would be mandated to use a card setup; this too would not make much sense I think)

mike