Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Antoine's system
@baconbrain, interesting comparison, I'm curious too! Smile I understand what you mean regarding tasking different seperate components with specific tasks. The question is if the extra work in the network subsystem is preferred to the extra work done in the local storage subsystem. I wouldn't dare to predict but intuitively my bets are on the local storage. My intuitions though have been wrong many times before in this hobby. Smile It's less overhead, less latency, less processing but more noise from the local storage subsystem. No idea what weighs heavier.

---
As a general update; earlier I wrote I acquired the items below while all I really wanted was the LPS-1.

Sonore MicroRendu
Uptone Audio LPS-1
MCRU DC lead with Oyaide DC connectors
Paul Pang modified D-Link DGS108 ethernet switch
Kemp Elektroniks Power Bar 3 outlets
2x iFi iPower (5V and 9V)
Curious Cable USB Regen link
2x Supra CAT8 ethernet cable (1m)

I paid only 900 euro's for it. The seller would send these items last Tuesday but on Thursday I received a message he had had a car accident and both his car and the package were damaged so he had refunded me (hope to get that money back early next week).

Whether that accident really happened or not does not matter, the deal is off (of course I would feel very sorry for the seller if it did happen!). I'm actually not disappointed at all. The system sounds really great, there's currently no 'itches to scratch'. I would have had to sell things on the list I simply didn't need to actually make it a good deal for me. Now at least I don't have the go through the hassle of selling the stuff I don't need (and deal with the many morons that always seem to be active in many second hand marketplaces! Wink)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hi Antoine

I saw you using FMC before the Roon server, but server to sotm sms-200 use Diamond LAN cable.

As I'm using a NUC for Roon server, LAN cable to switch, then to sotm sms-200, then AQ Diamond USB to mutec, I'm considering to add a FMC between sotm and the switch, do you think this is beneficial to SQ, or shall I use a higher quality LAN cable similar to you?

Thx.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
Hi Kwan, the setup you have in mind is similar to my previous setup in which I too connected the SMS-200 to my network using two FMC's. The ethernet cable between the FMC closest to the SMS-200 surely mattered. It was powered using my Hynes SR7 PSU.

From the above setup I switched to a direct setup using the FMC's between my music server and SMS-200 (so no switches/routers etc. in between) and from there the next step was a new music server directly connected to the SMS-200 using the short AQ Diamond ethernet cable. But please read back in my topic, I detail most of all steps/changes I took so it's all there including the why's and how's.

If you can't do the direct setup an audiophile switch like the AQVox discussed elsewhere as well, may be the best investment. The AQ Diamond is an excellent ethernet cable but very expensive.

Using high quality power supplies on the SMS-200 and probably the NUC makes a lot (relative to the things mentioned above) of difference.

PS: I think my system is highly tuned so I may be valueing changes higher than others who apply these type of changes in their systems. As always: YMMV.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(22-Mar-2017, 12:54)Antoine Wrote: I did find out that even the SATA cable used has significant impact... Huh It's a weird hobby we have!! Wink 
Hi Antoine,

May I ask what kind of differences did you find when comparing the SATA cables? Which one was the best? Shy

Romaz on CA is apparently using Pachanko SATA cables, have you tried those yet? Those are being a bit expense so it would be nice to find some cheaper alternatives that still improve the SQ.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=645940
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Hi Petrik,

In the past I've owned a Paul Pang Red Sata cable but sold it when I dismantled the music server I used back then. I've mentioned the cable I now use (and why I chose this one among some others) in some posts on earlier pages in this topic but haven't done any real AB comparisons and setled on the very cheap Coboc cable (model SC-SATA3-18-LL-SL 18" SATA III 6Gb/s Data Cable w/Latch). Shipping from the US was some factors more expensive than the cable itself which costs just a few dollars. Smile It did solve some digititus in the NAS PC I previously used. In my new server I immediately installed this same Coboc cable and haven't tried anything else, it just sounds brilliant as a whole.

Perhaps in the future I'll try one of Pachanko's SATA cables. I sold my JCAT battery PSU to him last year and he's a really nice guy whose products get good user reviews.

The Netherlands
Ordered the 6" version of the Coboc cable from Newegg. It's long enough for my new music server and appears to sound even better (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=649478)

€1.99 for the cable and €9.57 for shipping... Big Grin

The Netherlands
Thanks Antoine. This is definitely an inexpensive tweak and I'm tempted to buy one too Smile It's just amazing if this €1.99 cable can make the SQ better.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Mucho silence here, in this case a good sign! thought I'd sum up the previous 12 or so pages and thus "my 2017 in HiFi thus far" and tell what's cooking. Smile

December 12 2016: SOtM sMS-200 replaced the microRendu

January 7-15: first experimentation with direct connection to the SMS-200 from my previous music server using a 20 meter long OM3 fiber cable in between two TP-Link FMC's (MC220L using Cisco GLC-SX-MM SFP's). This of course after getting inspired by the best thread on CA of 2017: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...icrorendu/ Smile

This showed great potential so I explored it further!

January 29 - February 27:
- earthed the AC outlets in my home office/study
- Received two Supra CAT 8 cables. Used one to connect the music server to the FMC used in the path to the SMS-200 and the other between 2nd ethernet interface on the music server to my EMO Systems EN-HD70 LAN isolator and from there a short 25cm CAT7 cable to my upstairs switch
- powered the upstairs switch with a SBooster BOTWS 12V LPSU I still had
- Started using a Windows 2012 R2 server installation again with the Audiophile Optimizer (AO) software
- looked at fiber NIC's for the music server but didn't proceed
- applied multiple small tweaks in optimizing the network/AC power in my office room
- Got an ifi iPower 12V and DC iPurifier for my 'upstream' network stuff (not in the system downstairs). The iPower connected to my Fritzbox DSL router and the DC iPurifier in between the LPSU and the FMC connected to my music server.
- Started experimenting with cheap SATA cables getting good reviews (Akasa Silver 45cm and 100cm, Coboc 18" and Asus black&white)

March 1 - March 15: 'direct connection' 2nd iteratation!
- after having previously started researching (in parallel to the above) a new music server to be directly connected to my SMS-200 using just the AQ Diamond ethernet cable and powered by my Hynes SR7 PSU. I bought the following:

Case: Streacom FC8 Alpha Optical Fanless Chassis - Silver
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110TN-E
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133Mhz CL15 - 8GB (kit 2 x 4GB)
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700T (2.8GHz-3.6GHz, quad core, hyper threading, 35W, 8MB L3 cache)
Arctic Silver AS5 (thermal compound)
Used a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD and entry level server grade PCI-E Intel I210 ethernet adapter I already owned to make the system complete.

- "dismantled" the 1st iteration of the 'direct connection' as detailed above built January 29 - February 27
- migrated the Windows Server 2012 R2/AO/Roon Server installation to the new server, BIOS tuning etc.
- reused the DC iPurifier, now in between the cheap EBay 9V LPSU and the FMC connecting the music server to the network
- reused the EMO Systems EN-HD70 LAN isolator, now in between the on board NIC and the FMC connecting the music server to the network
- made a DIY DC cable for the music server using 16AWG Jantzen Silver teflon cable and Oyaide DC 2.5x5.5mm plug and Neutrik NC4MXX BAG 4p male XLR plug
- settled on the Coboc 18" SATA cable

Posted many details and some system topology diagrams earlier.

No changes since March 15! Just enjoying music and my system immensely but as always closely monitoring several developments. So what's cooking here and now?

- JCAT NET Card Femto (audiophile PCI-E ethernet NIC, probably released at or soon after Munich High-End) to replace the Intel I210 PCIE NIC. https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4142
- upgrade to Windows Server 2016 in Core mode with Roon Server made possible by the just released beta 5 of AO 2.20
- upgrade SMS-200 to SMS-200 Ultra (also probably released at or soon after Munich High-End) or get the new TX-USB Ultra with two additional clock outputs and feed those to the modified SMS-200
- power SSD inside music server using a new separate LPSU or using a Paul Hynes DC DIY regulator (or other high performance voltage regulator)
- power JCAT NET Card Femto NIC inside music server using a separate LPSU or using a Paul Hynes DC DIY regulator (or other high performance voltage regulator)
- (??) upgrade DC cables to star quad topology for lowest inductance, higher noise immunity (??)

Of course the above could change when new insights or developments arise. This computer audio thing is a constantly moving target! Smile

I'm also following the release of the new Uptone ISO Regen and its competitor IFI iGalvanic 3.0 (https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4106). These are both competitors of the SoTM TX-USB Ultra.

Mutec may have some surprises coming, though I don't think I'd upgrade to their new external master clock because of it's high price.

And of course there's the new streamer/OS board of our French friends at Devialet...boooooring!!  Wink  Big Grin

The Netherlands
(13-May-2017, 12:59)Antoine Wrote: ......    - upgrade SMS-200 to SMS-200 Ultra (also probably released at or soon after Munich High-End) or get the new TX-USB Ultra with two additional clock outputs and feed those to the modified SMS-200

This interests me.  Have you worked out if an original sMS-200 fed with one (two of?) of the spare clocks  from the TX-USBUltra would be exactly equivalent to the sMS-200Ultra in combination with the TX-USBUltra.  The former is clearly more cost effective, especially for someone like yourself who already has the sMS-200.  In other words, is the only difference between the sMS-200 and the sMS-200Ultra the clock? 

Maybe they will stick all the goodness of the sMS-200Ultra & TX-USBUltra into one box before too long?  It would be a bit neater, save on cables and LPSU's etc.  (sMS-200Pro perhaps?)

Interesting times at the moment is it not?  Although I think my plan is to be a bit of a spectator for a while and see how the various new offerings from Sonore, SOtM, UptoneAudio and indeed Mutec turn out.  Plus, the new Devialet streamer board may just surprise us all and be the giant killer for sound quality! (or alternatively, maybe not)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Confused,

The sMS-200 uses/needs two clocks, one 24MHz for the USB circuitry and one 25MHz for ethernet. I did read that the sMS-200 Ultra is 'simply' a sMS-200 with an SCLK-EX board but this is second hand information which I'd like to confirm with SOtM directly some day (if it doesn't become clear when they release the sMS-200 Ultra).

The TX-USB Ultra itself needs one clock so there's the posibility for three extra clocks (four is the maximum of the SCLK-EX board) and of course these need to be ordered as options for $50/extra clock. I haven't read any plans about a box combining the SMS-200/TX-USB Ultra's but that would surely be a way nicer solution. I too would like to keep the box count as low as possible, because of the room they take (and the little room I have in my 'lowboard') but especially because we'd like to power these boxes in the best way too. The expensive, audiophile OCD curse! Wink

These are indeed interesting times. It's been going on for several years now though and there's always something new learned or just around the corner. I can imagine people getting lost in it all and if I didn't enjoy experimenting, reading an thinking about it myself I would have probably sticked with AIR several years ago. Smile I do understand you wanting to become a spectator for a while, I too will wait patiently for at least all these SoTM products to come to market and see some consensus building as to the best options/combinations. I don't necessarily need to be at the front lines and am perfectly happy with guys like Romaz and Austinpop being there! Wink

Powering the SSD and getting the JCAT NET Femto card will be first for me I think. These 'complete' my music server itself. After that I'll focus on the stuff in between. The new streamer board isn't something I personally keep into account in all this since I really have no clue what it will do and how good it will do what it promises, but of course do understand if others do.

Another interesting thing that popped up yesterday is the leaked plans of Roon supporting AIR/the AIR protocol possibly direct from Roon into our Devialet. This could have great potential too, something I might even re-install my WiFi board for again (which I removed but is required for the ethernet connection as well) to test it's resulting SQ.

Enjoy! Smile

The Netherlands