Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency in a Home Cinema setup
(24-Sep-2017, 23:43)mak972 Wrote: Hi, 

This French site (https://www.lesnumeriques.com/platine-mu.../test.html) recently test Phantom Gold latency and it is around 190 milliseconds which means it shouldn’t be usable in a Home Cinema setup.

Can someone please test the latency of the Phantom in varies between theses configurations ? How can I test latency myself ?

Single Phantom White (Optical)
Single Phantom Silver (Optical)
Single Phantom Gold (Optical) - 190 ms

I assume that Phantom are connected in Ethernet for stereo test.
Pair Phantom White (Optical port on Phantom)
Pair Phantom White (Optical port on Dialog)
Pair Phantom Silver (Optical port on Phantom)
Pair Phantom Silver (Optical port on Dialog)
Pair Phantom Gold (Optical port on Phantom)
Pair Phantom Gold (Optical port on Dialog)

Does someone use their Phantom in a Home Cinema setup ? Does it work well ? With what setup ?

I was thinking about upgrading my Dialog to the one that support AirPlay and maybe my Phantom but only if it can be use as a decent Home Cinema.

Thanks,

(25-Sep-2017, 17:19)bobxxxx Wrote: My experience is to use an oppo 103/105/203/205 device which has A/V sync settings !
You can set from -100ms to +200ms by +/-10 increment
This has resolved the latency issue in my gold system (set at +80ms)

Very useful, the oppo devices mentioned have an hdmi input.
A/V sync setting is applied to this input too !
So can plug any box / video game with hdmi output without latency issue -Smile

Hope this help

VLC media player now has now has delay for Audio forwards and backwards in time. Is this the end of the latency problems for Phantom's and movie watching!?
(04-Oct-2017, 10:32)Extra Gravity Wrote:

This French site (https://www.lesnumeriques.com/platine-mu.../test.html) recently test Phantom Gold latency and it is around 190 milliseconds which means it shouldn’t be usable in a Home Cinema setup.

Can someone please test the latency of the Phantom in varies between theses configurations ? How can I test latency myself ?

Does someone use their Phantom in a Home Cinema setup ? Does it work well ? With what setup ?

I was thinking about upgrading my Dialog to the one that support AirPlay and maybe my Phantom but only if it can be use as a decent Home Cinema.

Thanks,

(25-Sep-2017, 17:19)bobxxxx Wrote: My experience is to use an oppo 103/105/203/205 device which has A/V sync settings !

Hope this help

VLC media player now has now has delay for Audio forwards and backwards in time. Is this the end of the latency problems for Phantom's and movie watching!?

Short answer: Yes.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(04-Oct-2017, 12:40)ragwo Wrote:
(04-Oct-2017, 10:32)Extra Gravity Wrote:

Thanks,

Hope this help

How will this help me with my Sony TV?
(04-Oct-2017, 19:59)Waldstorch Wrote:
(04-Oct-2017, 12:40)ragwo Wrote:
(04-Oct-2017, 10:32)Extra Gravity Wrote: VLC media player now has now has delay for Audio forwards and backwards in time. Is this the end of the latency problems for Phantom's and movie watching!?

How will this help me with my Sony TV?

Well, it won't if the source isn't a computer. My short answer was a bit too short.
My Phantom Voyage
Won't help for YouTube, won't help for Skype, won't help for games. If it's not a video file, you're still out of luck.

I'm actually surprised this doesn't seem to be a priority for them. The market for music-only (!) lifestyle products (!) has to be smaller than for something that 'just works'.
(11-Oct-2017, 05:33)antilles Wrote: Won't help for YouTube, won't help for Skype, won't help for games. If it's not a video file, you're still out of luck.

I'm actually surprised this doesn't seem to be a priority for them. The market for music-only (!) lifestyle products (!) has to be smaller than for something that 'just works'.

Exactly. Will not work for playing instruments either. Or netflix, or anything else that is common in my household... Bleh!
(11-Oct-2017, 09:12)subsonic Wrote:
(11-Oct-2017, 05:33)antilles Wrote: Won't help for YouTube, won't help for Skype, won't help for games. If it's not a video file, you're still out of luck.

Exactly. Will not work for playing instruments either. Or netflix, or anything else that is common in my household... Bleh!

I'm running my golds with my TV, have no issues with timing and I haven't set any offset at all. TV -> Left Phantom via optical. Phantoms via 5GHz wifi to Dialog. I have no issue with Netflix app on my TV (LG 55B6V). Neither am I having issues with the Apple TV that came with the Phantom package that is connected to the TV, I can stream video and I have sync with the audio.

And I usually go ballistic if the audio/video sync is off. I used to have bad lipsync issues with the setup, dunno what solved it however (currently have 0 offset on the TV) >_<
(28-Sep-2017, 07:48)ogs Wrote:
(27-Sep-2017, 22:09)booshtukka Wrote: This is a problem for live music via an instrument or DJing, as well as for video games.

Absolutely! Real time use is not possible unfortunately.

I don't have a problem with my Samsung F9000 and Netflix

Hope this help

Thanks a lot for the info!
Does the video delay work with the combination of toslink audio output and HDMI video output?
My Phantom Voyage
(11-Oct-2017, 20:19)ragwo Wrote:

Hope this help

Thanks a lot for the info!
Does the video delay work with the combination of toslink audio output and HDMI video output?

Yes it does but just for completeness.
If you read the Oppo manual it is not actually adding a delay to the video. At 0 setting there is built in audio delay in the Oppo to allow for video processing. The -100ms adjustment reduces this delay to close to zero. I use the 105 and it does seem to work. It is much better than when I tried direct through the TV (Panasonic Plasma). This implies that there is just enough video delay in the Oppo to get a reasonable sync where as the TV passes the video through too quickly. I run the Oppo HDMI to my TV and optical to one of my phantoms.