Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency in a Home Cinema setup
Just hooked up the Oppo 103 with the Phantoms. The audio delay is just enormous and the Oppo can't correct it, unfortunately. In VLC on my computer connected to the Oppo, the video is delayed by 400 ms and a further 100 ms in the Oppo. The Phantoms being half a second off was a surprise.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Wow that seems like a lot. Did you set the Oppo to -100MS? Connected to Phantom or Dialog?

I cheat a bit because I use Darbee processing on the 105D. I assume this might create a bit of video delay. I don't notice any big delay. Note sometimes the order of switching on the Oppo and source can create delay issues. I switch everything off and start again and it fixes it.
(12-Nov-2017, 22:50)stevec Wrote: Wow that seems like a lot. Did you set the Oppo to -100MS? Connected to Phantom or Dialog?

I cheat a bit because I use Darbee processing on the 105D. I assume this might create a bit of video delay. I don't notice any big delay. Note sometimes the order of switching on the Oppo and source can create delay issues. I switch everything off and start again and it fixes it.

Connected to the Dialog, delay set to -100ms. Also using a wireless BenQ HDMI-transmitter that is supposed to add another 50ms video delay. Using the Oppo Netflix app and -100ms delay, it is almost syncing, really weird. Thank you for the on/off tip. I will report back when the system is up and running again.
My Phantom Voyage
The system is up and running again, and the delay is fluctuating. Yesterday it was about 200 ms, it's better but not good enough.
My Phantom Voyage
I've been doing some research on the latency issue and discovered this paragraph in the release notes for the Oppo BDP10X-50-0422 firmware.

"The negative adjustment values are for cancelling out the audio delay that the player automatically applies. Depending on the video source and the time it takes to process the video, the main decoder chip automatically applies an audio delay in order to optimize audio video synchronization. The negative manual settings reduce the automatic audio delay, while the positive manual settings apply additional delay. Any negative value setting beyond the player's automatic delay will be treated as completely cancelling the automatic delay. For example, if the "A/V Sync" value is manually set to -100ms and for the current video source the player applies a 70ms automatic audio delay, the final result is that the 70ms audio delay gets cancelled and the audio is not delayed at all. It is not possible to put audio ahead of video using this setting.
For content sent through HDMI IN, the "A/V Sync" adjustment only works with positive values."

So the negative adjustment isn't working for the HDMI inputs on the Oppo 103. That's really a bummer.
My Phantom Voyage
Have anyone seen a video delay box or HDMI delay box under $10k? They only products I can find are for professional broadcasting, and their crazy expensive. If you know of an affordable solution, please let me know.
My Phantom Voyage
I have a Marantz AVP8801 and Oppo BDP105D in my system- both of which have user controllable lip-sync adjustments. My TV, streamers etc all run through the AVP, so easy adjustments correct for any audio video sync issue.... and yes, on my Golds the latency corrections are 180-190 ms.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.