Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AirPlay / Apple TV connection to Devialet Expert
Just thought I would post some potential solutions in case someone else wanted to get Apple TV to play via their Devialet Expert since Apple TV 4th generation onwards does not have optical out.  One existing solution has been posted here: daisy chain to an older 3rd generation Apple TV

Ideally the functionality would be integrated into the new Devialet OS board (if you can have the upgrade), but in case this isn't available the MartinLogan Unison is an interesting compact pre-amp and it does DTS Play-Fi and AirPlay.  Unfortunately USA only, circa $400.   It will also wake the Devialet as it has a trigger out.

Alternatively I guess you could go for a HDMi out optical splitter - but as I understand it, no volume control or trigger from Apple TV so you'd have to have two remote controls.  There is also the solution of apple airport express - but same issue.

I am also unsure about the sound quality of toslink, given the relatively poor results I've had (from computer and TV) - USB and ethernet via Devialet air sounded better to me.

Another option would be another AV receiver, as per Devialets own guidance on AV setups, but I don't really want another large box!

Any idea how good HDMI via an external receiver would sound?
I just have HDMI from AppleTV-4 to TV and then toslink from TV to Devialet. It means that TV must be on for sound to work, but that is no problem for me.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
Thanks Borgen - sound over toslink doesn't sound great for me (damaged optical out perhaps?).  I have just discovered that New Devialet Core Infinity OS will include Airplay when launched on 17th October.  I could use a network streamer anyhow, so if they'll upgrade the older D200 I'll likely go for it.

Airplay will pass through the volume and power commands - so I can use the Apple TV remote to control the Devialet Expert.  You don't get this with Optical.
OK - found some more solutions to make Devialet Expert Airplay compatible without the need to purchase an additional receiver / streamer.

If you have a Synology NAS (like me) you can set it up to act as an Airplay Receiver and it will output audio directly via the USB ports via the rear straight into the Devialet.  You install a community package on your NAS called Shairport Sync which is an AirPlay emulator - functionally it worked brilliantly well for me, but the sound quality was quite poor - USB ports are too noisy from a NAS.

This was using a very good quality Audiophile USB cable - perhaps adding in a Jitterbug would improve things greatly, but I don't have one.

Very easy to set up though, if you just wanted a basic connection that's easy to use for the rest of the family.

Another option if you own a NAS (more advanced):

I was originally looking to set up Apple Homesharing, as you can only populate your local files into iTunes on Apple TV using homesharing (an always on PC) or via iTunes Match.  An iTunes server won't work.  So is the delight of the Apple ecosystem!

To avoid having another PC on 24/7 to homeshare to iTunes on the Apple TV you can create a virtual machine on a nas, install windows and itunes, link it to your iTunes library on your NAS and then enable homesharing.  What a pain Angry .  This would be fine if your toslink from your TV sounded good, mine doesn't so isn't a good source for my Devialet Expert. 

But then I got thinking, we can combine the two approaches: Set up a windows virtual machine on my Synology NAS, set it up as a Shairport Sync Receiver and then share this audio feed on the virtual machine to the Devialet Expert via Devialet Air.  WORKS and SOUNDS brilliant - bit perfect via Devialet Air. Tongue

I just use iTunes match, but you could set up itunes on the virtual machine and enable Homesharing too - probably not much advantage to this since I already subscribe to iTunes match which is CD quality.

You need to have an x86 processor, not ARM, NAS to do this and >4GB RAM (Min windows requirement is 2GB) to run Virtual Machine Beta on a Synology.  I upgraded my DS716ii as instructed and worked fine (but invalidates warranty).   

Some links for how to do this:
[/url]
http://www.lightweightdream.com/sp4w/shairport4w/?lang=en
http://wiredverse.com/2017/08/virtual-ma...y-ds716ii/
https://techwiztime.com/guide/synology-virtual-machine/

I used a version of Windows 10 lite to do this, as less background processes, this is similar to what Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server does:

[url=http://allpcworld.com/download-windows-10-lite-edition-15063-483-x64-dvd-iso-free/]http://allpcworld.com/download-windows-10-lite-edition-15063-483-x64-dvd-iso-free/

Will keep me going until I get a proper renderer Devialet OS board upgrade - however sounds good, so might not need it now!